DJH A2/2, DJH A2 and other ECML stuff

Hi All,

As a comparative begineer of loco kit construction. I thought I'd share the construction of what is my fourth loco kit a DJH A2/2. So far the frames are assembled and chassis runs true. I don't know how long this will take so please bare with me if there are gaps between updates

Enjoy :pleasantry:

post-96-0-32611100-1306178099_thumb.jpg

The coaches behind are a Thompson RB and BG

Edited by davidw
  • Like 3

Hello,

I will watch your build with interest. A while back I had a go at DJH's fairly similar A2/3. It mostly went according to plan, though I did encounter issues with crankpins and with the brake gear. The build is descrbed on the old forum hereabouts

Maybe some time I will tackle a DJH A2/2, although I do have a Crown Line (now PDK) kit in my possession. This is a slightly different kettle of fish, having a bend-up etched brass footplate and a cast resin boiler.

Anyway, good luck with your loco, I'll look forward to seeing it progressing.

Regards,

Alan

So far the loco has gone together very well.

Boiler and fire box are together - but I can't find the tender brake gear and the associated etch any where - I've had the kit unopened for some time so I should have checked it!

Some pictures

post-96-0-79612200-1306575309_thumb.jpg

And the footplate boiler and fire box resting on the chassis

post-96-0-08470000-1306575416_thumb.jpg

footplate needs alot of cleaning up!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Later than anticipated. Brake gear all complete on tender loco still requires brake shoes.

In previous builds I've gone with a DJH motor Gear box. I've departed from this and chosen a Branchines motor with 30:1 gear box. Top speed will be tamed with a lenz silver decoder( I hope).

Bolder and firebox are secure, as are cab sides. Cab roof is merely attached with tack joints to protect the cab edges

Footplate has had some tying up but needs more - this is a very annoying part of the build! If anyone has any suggestions as to how to do this with out damaging th foot plate then please let me know!

post-96-0-21647300-1308417505_thumb.jpg

Excuse the fruit behind I took the photo in the kitchen in natural light.

• Like 2

I can't help with the footplate problem I'm afraid David but I just wanted to make encouraging noises and tell you that I'm looking forward to the next instalment. I can't help thinking though, they looked so much better with 4 sets of driving wheels, don'tcha think...? ;)

I presume excess metal on the edge ? I use needle files and a sharp swan morton blade if that is the problem? What perio are you modellling?

Yes I've managed to solder a very fine piece of brass to the edge. It'll still need dressing back but is an improvement. It'll be in the last years of it's life

Looking good. One of my favorites. Of course you do know that as soon as you've finished it Hornby will announce an A2/3 in its Railroad range........... :pleasantry:

I hope not!I've already done an A2/3

• 1 month later...

Not as much progress with the A2/2 though photos' will come tomorrow However, I have been working on this:

post-96-0-84876100-1313089616_thumb.jpg

This is a BSO built from the southern pride kit. It awaits lining and numbering. The A4 behind is 'Empire of India'

and this:

post-96-0-51180200-1313089676_thumb.jpg

which is a gresley RF built in the same way as Larry Goddard's (excuse the poor lighting in the photos) I'm still fiddling with roof details. The Thompson behind is a resided Bachmann FK, with the roof modified and vents repositioned correctly over the compartments

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The best laid plans and all that...

apolgies that's been so long since my last post but here's the latest photo of the 'wolf'

post-96-0-00814800-1315167599_thumb.jpg

Chimney and dome are in place all hand rails applied to the tender and cab. The tender is complete.

But lots of filing and filling required to loco and tender. The coaches behine as a Thompson BG and a Southern pride sleeper - Two others are getting door furniture added.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

Lots of progress on the Wolf but no pictures at the moment. Instead here's a picture of A2 Bronzino

post-96-0-39948700-1332707441_thumb.jpg

Valve gear complete on this side incomplete on the other. After that cab seats, coupling hooks, buffers, decoder and brunswick green and she's complete.

I'll wait unit the Wolf needs painting before applying any paint to either. The A2 was started before the Bachmann a2 announcement. I've procrastinated since...

Edited by davidw
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Of course the dilema when the Peppercorn A2 is complete is do I sell it to be replaced with the another Bachmann offering?

Nope as Bronzino didn't have the external regulator control rodding. :mail:

Very nice by the way. She/he will look excellent once painted up.

P @ 36E

That was a shock: I've never seen this thread before, so I scrolled through it and did a completee double take at the last photo: and A2/2 had morphed into an A2. :no:

One thing: it may be the photo, but the valve-gear on Bronzino looks odd. I stared at it for a while before I realized that it's the cylinders.

As far as I am aware, loco cylinders slope down towards the rear, so that the piston rod, if extended, would pass through the centre of the centre driving wheel.

Yours look to slope the other way?

Nope as Bronzino didn't have the external regulator control rodding. :mail: Very nice by the way. She/he will look excellent once painted up. P @ 36E
True but I know a man who can generate a replacement double chimney. Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

That was a shock: I've never seen this thread before, so I scrolled through it and did a completee double take at the last photo: and A2/2 had morphed into an A2. :no:

One thing: it may be the photo, but the valve-gear on Bronzino looks odd. I stared at it for a while before I realized that it's the cylinders.

As far as I am aware, loco cylinders slope down towards the rear, so that the piston rod, if extended, would pass through the centre of the centre driving wheel.

Yours look to slope the other way?

What can I say oops - yet another job to fix!

... here's a picture of A2 Bronzino... I'll wait unit the Wolf needs painting before applying any paint to either...

If you have not already, go and see a Bronzino painting for the standard to aspire to. I care not for that Moaner Lizzie of vast reputation, I'd much rather his lovely and arch 'Lady in Green' (very similar to Darlington green as it happens).

• 3 weeks later...

Further Pics of the pacifics:

post-96-0-41433000-1334090110_thumb.jpg

Wolf of Badendock. In desparate need of a good clean - but looking like one of Thompson's ugly ducklings. The hand rails have been left over long to wrap around the smokebox . The smoke box is off a scrap super detail Hornby A3, that I had off Ebay a couple of years back. It will need to add a lamp iron at the top.

post-96-0-06139400-1334090325_thumb.jpg

Another shot of the Wolf with Bronzino behind. Bronzino now has motion applied both sides runs superbly - the gear box is branchlines and requires a decoder and detail finishing before the paint shop.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 3

I should have said that I corrected the foot plate edge on the wolf by filing the edge back completely and soldering the appropriate thinkness hand rail along the entire length - the edge is now perfect.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

At last I've got around to weathering my W1.

A day off has yielded 7 loco's DCC fitted and the W1 now looking less than pristine

post-96-0-65276800-1340638166_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-93067200-1340638644_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-78959000-1340638747_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-06111200-1340638903_thumb.jpg

Edited by davidw
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1