Pump House

PaternosterRow

• RMweb Premium

post-9175-0-99695200-1307996705_thumb.jpg

Wasn't sure about entering,but have since plucked up the courage. The layout will comprise a colliery pump and boiler house with some sort of rail fed coal shute. Hope this meets the requirements - it'll be 00 but will fit into the 20x11 dims. Not sure of the period - has anyone suggestions?

post-9175-0-65262100-1307996398_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That looks different - having to look through the windows to see the layout.

The period could be anthing from the late 1800s to the early 1960's - depends on what style of wagon you choose.

• RMweb Premium

Really appreciate your reply, I'm new to RMweb and it's very encouraging when other members reply - so thank you.

The pump house is about 12 long x 51/2 deep and 9 tall and is at the back of the layout. Next door will be a 8 wide by 10 deep boiler house (chimney behind). In front of both a single (maybe dual) track, which will be on a 1 inch tall trestle - this will feed the boiler room with coal - I'm hoping to have a view in beyond the trestle to the boiler plates. I'm sure it'll kind of evolve as I go along. Thanks for the period suggestion - I usually model BR blue so if I set it in the 30's say, what type of small steam shunter should I have and would any of Dapol's private owners wagons do, or are there specific types etc? I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to steam!

• RMweb Premium

I've since completed the interior of the pump house and am starting on the front windows. You wont see much of it once these are in, but I rather like the idea of just being able to glimpse the interior and let the viewer use their own imagination to fill in the details.

P1010099.zip

P1010105.zip

Nice attention to detail in that brickwork. The way those window sills are done with sloping brickwork is rather neat. It's a feature that seldom seems to be modelled. Well done, sir ! I notice also the dummy opening window sections in the big windows.

Dennis

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dennis

Thanks for your kind words. The brickwork is all Scalescenes papers and the windows are from Brassmasters. I only returned to modelling about 3 years ago and have always used these products. Once you get the hand of cutting and what type of glue to use it's quite a pleasure working with card. However, I'd like to be able to construct using the embossed plastic brick sheets, but my painting and weathering skills are well below par for this level of work. Some of the work shown on RMweb is stunning and hopefully, one day, I'll have a go at proper construction.

Mike

Nice work Mike, very neatly executed. You asked earlier about a suitable steam locomotive, if you are looking for an industrial loco then you'll be looking at kits. Anything RTR would be a compromise though the imminent Model Rail Sentinel would be worth looking at.

Arthur

Edit; if you were to bring the date forward to post WWII then the Hornby Austerity 0-6-0ST is an ideal colliery engine.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Arthur

Thanks for your comments and advice on suitable locos. In my haste I went out and bought a Hornby GWR pannier tank (arrrrrgghhhh!!) a few days ago, just because I liked the look of it (it was also cheap). Right out of context - I know!! My trouble is that I get an idea into my head then proceed without sufficient research. This is an awkward way of doing things especially on a tight budget. The pump house could be at a water/sewage plant as well as at a colliery and I'm also not sure when the last steam operated beam engine actually worked in the UK (or where). Does anyone know? I suppose the period could be bumped into the future and it could become a model of a preservationist project with an 08 bringing coal. Any advice, suggestions or comments on this would be most welcome.

Regards Mike

• RMweb Gold

Mike, hi

This is looking great...and its coming together quickly too...

Looks like some nice photos to be had too with the light on the windows etc...

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your comments Pete

Yes, I'm whittling away at it. Hope to get on with the chimney at the back soon - then it's on with the side bits - not sure how I'm going to hide entry and exit points, but it'll work itself out.

Regards

Mike

• RMweb Premium

A bit more work tonight so here's a few more update shots.

post-9175-0-21844700-1309990990_thumb.jpg

A chimney will be at the back plus a low relief extension to the Pump House building.

post-9175-0-09928900-1309991130_thumb.jpg

A couple of night time shots of a stoker feeding boiler no:2

post-9175-0-45329500-1309991342_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Cornish Rail

I downloaded some pictures of beam engines then copied them to scale. The beam is simply two pieces of cardboard that have been carefully cut out to shape and then the detailing was done using evergreen strip.

The main steam and condensing cylinders are cardboard tubes that have been covered with paper - the rivets are made by using a ball point pen pressed onto the reverse of the paper before pasting. The large bilge cylinder was made from the inside cardboard ring of a roll of parcel tape and again covered by paper. The rods and brackets are dowels and lollipop sticks etc. Pipes are just bits of plastic sprues that have been bent over a lighter flame. The following picture shows the finished interior before the outer wall was put in place. I tried to make it work at one point, buts things were a bit too wobbly so the whole thing has been glued solid. Handrails etc are just made up from evergreen H beams and galvanised wire. The walls, floor and ceiling are scalescenes papers.

post-9175-0-20163500-1310209948_thumb.jpg

post-9175-0-15520800-1310210833_thumb.jpg

Hope this answers your question.

Mike

hi could u tel me how you made the beam inside??

• RMweb Premium

Latest update. The boiler house is nearly complete plus chimney.

post-9175-0-57171400-1310501751_thumb.jpg

Side measurement of a touch under 10 1/2 inches

post-9175-0-54490100-1310502485_thumb.jpg

The chimney brings the entire diorama up to 10 and 3/4 inches

post-9175-0-24931900-1310502977_thumb.jpg

post-9175-0-54102300-1310503384_thumb.jpg

I intend to put a small extension to the pump house behind the boiler house - don't quite know how this will take shape - then it's on to the front and the track detailing.

• RMweb Premium

Another update - some more work done tonight after a lazy weekend. Cap stones now on buildings and chimney. Track and ballast as done in the usual way (I use a water based matt varnish mixed with water instead of glue) and the chute now firmly glued in place. Real coal and a bit of green was mixed in with the ballast.

post-9175-0-56621000-1311026216_thumb.jpg

This section of rail is intended to be a small overrun coming out of the workshop on the right of the pump house (outside of the model). An entry into a corrugated shed will act as a scenic break on this side of the layout.

post-9175-0-71848500-1311026513_thumb.jpg

I know this another shot into the boiler house, but I wanted to convey how hot it must have been working a boiler with the use of different colored working lights. The orange glow from inside contrasting with the exterior white light high up on the outer wall.

post-9175-0-96047200-1311026603_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff Mike.

I do like that sense of depth you have achieved looking through the wagons into the building and beyond...and the lit boiler is genius :yes:

You must be nearly done soon...10 weeks left and time to enjoy the summer ;)

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I'm nearly there, but no chance of summer here in Ireland. It's been pelting down for the last few weeks and we could desperately do with with some sunshine - you seem to be getting it all over there - you lucky people. I'm a Brummie by birth and used to grey leaden skies, but this is just taking the wotsit.

Your Extract is getting exciting now that it's all coming together and I'm dying to see the scenics and the backscene - that brickwork is just sensational. I've had a peek at your Combe blog and thought the little model of the model was brilliant, which makes me wonder if you an architect or a graphic designer?

Regards

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Your Extract is getting exciting now that it's all coming together and I'm dying to see the scenics and the backscene - that brickwork is just sensational. I've had a peek at your Combe blog and thought the little model of the model was brilliant, which makes me wonder if you an architect or a graphic designer?

Hi Mike - Many thanks for your kind comments...Yep...you got me...I am an Architect!

Perhaps you can begin another entry to take your mind off the rain - I believe Stu (Stubby 47) is about to start his third entry :O

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete

Thought so - it's the attention to detail, an ability to sketch and use CAD etc. that gives it away. Your not short of inspiration being in the middle of Gaudi country are you? I loved his Cathedral and felt that his style was all about evolution somehow - on the day we visited there were guys welding up some form work for one of the side vaults and it added to the impression that the building was alive somehow, but I guess that was the whole point of his work. Can't help but see a little of this in your lofty viaduct arches with the imagined movement of the trains. This will look brilliant if you build the whole layout and get the trains below moving along the valley floor.

Cheers - Mike

Hi Mike - Many thanks for your kind comments...Yep...you got me...I am an Architect!

Perhaps you can begin another entry to take your mind off the rain - I believe Stu (Stubby 47) is about to start his third entry :O

• RMweb Premium

Hi Cup of Tea

Thanks very much for the compliment. I wouldn't get too hung up about skill - it just takes time and patience to start getting things looking right. I only started back in the hobby recently after a 35 year break and it I made a lot of buildings before I started to get the technique right. I'd love to start scratch building with plasticard and create some of the structures you see here at RMweb. I consider myself at novice level yet and would love to create some of the structures I've come across on the site - there are guys creating some magnificent stuff. Stick at it and just enjoy the experience of making something even if you don't think its perfect - its the only way to learn.

Regards Mike

Really nice work Sir and great attention to detail.

I wish I had your skill.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard

Thanks for your encouraging words. It's the first time I've used a puffer bottle and static grass so I don't think I've quite got the technique right yet. I certainly will tone down the ballast. By the way, I've had a look at your weathered models - fantastic - you've certainly brought a very realistic look to the Hornby 33. I don't have an airbrush, but am dying to get one and have a go. My weathering, as yet, is restricted to powders, pastels and acrylic washes. I still get a bit shaky at the thought of applying stuff to my stock as it can go drastically wrong. I ruined a Bachmann class 40 a year ago and I've been very reluctant since.

Regards

Mike

Looking good, If theres one thing I'd change I'd try and tone down the ballast a little and use something a little more realistic for grass. The buildings and attention to detail are spot on. If you don't have an airbrush some washes of dark brown will do the trick. Keep up the good work,

Richard

Archived