Heavy Metal; Steelworks Rolling Stock in 4mm

Bucolic branchline fans look away now, this is down and dirty.

Some photographs of steelworks ingot moulds and bogies in 4mm. The smaller ones are in resin from RT models and very good they are too. The larger ones are styrene from Rix products in the U.S., ideal for representing 20t ingots for the plate mills. The ingot bogies beneath are scratchbuilt and the loco is one of Mike Edge's very excellent Hunslets as supplied to BSC Rotherham 1971.

post-6861-0-38830300-1308332721_thumb.jpg

post-6861-0-20456800-1308332735_thumb.jpg

post-6861-0-62528900-1308332749_thumb.jpg

post-6861-0-59978000-1308332761_thumb.jpg

Arthur

That looks superb, photos added to our files. Did you do the painting?

Michael and Judith

Thanks Mike, glad you approve! Yes, I painted it myself. I basically followed Ian Rathbones method for this loco as he mentioned in his Wild Swan book . Sprayed yellow first and then I used black decal paper cut into 2mm strips and touched in with a paint brush to finish.

It's a bit late for my actual modelling period (circa 1960) and will be the only loco I complete in this finish but it does look good against the grimy backdrop. I've a near complete Yorkshire DE2, just deciding on how to finish the livery.

You might be able to answer a question for me, the rear nameplate on the Hunslet, was it painted in red on brass or in the heat resistant aluminium finish?

Great stuff Arthur! :D

Always good to see steelworks' railways being modelled :)

Thanks James, I thought you'd appreciate it!

Arthur

Very very impressive Arthur! And very evocative of a large steelworks.

Couple of questions - are the ingot bogies based on a psrticular prototype? What did you use for wheels - whenever I've scaled these things from pictures the wheels always seem rather on the small side compared to commonly available 4mm scale wheels?

Finally, is there more of the layout?? Would love see to more :)

Regards

Alastair

Thanks James, I thought you'd appreciate it!

:D

And I know it's not Sunny-Scunny but the scene does remind me of some of the areas between the mills at Scunthorpe - the height of the buildings and the pipes coming in and out at, to the non-steelworker, seemingly random intervals!

The whole scene looks fantastic. I too would love to see more.

Indeed, I too would love to see more!

Thanks for all the kind comments chaps, it's much appreciated!

Sadly, in terms of seeing more, there isn't much more to see. I made up a variety of steelworks rolling stock earlier this year and when I photograped it in the garden it didn't look quite right against a leafy backdrop. I decided to make a quick steelworks backdrop and that led on to a mini project which has three purposes.

Firstly to provide an appropriate backdrop for photographs, secondly to provide some shunting potential to test the running of the rolling stock and thirdly to try out some constructional techniques for a planned model steelworks. So, building pipe runs, steps, walkways and handrails, comparing Wills corrugated with Slaters etc. It's contained on a foamboard baseboard 5' x 1', the right end is as seen and I'm trying other techniques at the other end which I'll post when complete. I intend to start construction of the full model later this year. In the meantime here are some more iems of rolling stock.

Stripped ingots on the way to the soaking pits, the heat shield on that Hunslet will be earning it's keep.

post-6861-0-53012800-1308516787_thumb.jpg

post-6861-0-81695200-1308517041_thumb.jpg

post-6861-0-80992000-1308516812_thumb.jpg

And some Kling type hot metal cars delivering molten iron to the open hearth mixer bay.

post-6861-0-76750600-1308517125_thumb.jpg

post-6861-0-53152800-1308517144_thumb.jpg

post-6861-0-62654300-1308517174_thumb.jpg

post-6861-0-17942800-1308517196_thumb.jpg

They're based on STD kits from the U.S. but anglicised and modified. The bogies are Cambrian with 'roller bearing' axle boxes fitted. Which leads me on to Alastairs question;

Couple of questions - are the ingot bogies based on a psrticular prototype? What did you use for wheels - whenever I've scaled these things from pictures the wheels always seem rather on the small side compared to commonly available 4mm scale wheels?

Alastair, yes that's right. The models are representational rather than based on a particular prototype, the large ones with the 20t moulds on are based on those used at Margam in the 1950's. My original design used the small wheelsets off the STD Kling hot metal cars, which were redundant when I replaced them with the Cambrian bogies. I originally ran them in etched brass W irons but they still looked a bit deep in the sides. I then hit on just using the complete STD truck which is quite low. I was able to cut down the depth of the sides and the proportions looked right. It also shows a bit of the truck detail below the sides which adds to the impression. I'll flip one over and photograph it tomorrow which should make the unashamed bodgery clear.

Arthur

Hi James, yes, as I mentioned above, what I'm showing now is partly a test piece before I embark on a much larger project to build a full integrated works, coke ovens, iron and steel plant, rolling mills, support facilities etc., on which I will make a start later this year. The rolling stock I'm making will be used on the new layout but the backdrop I've shown will not be part of it. I'll be handbuilding the track too, I used Peco turnouts for speed on the test piece.

Arthur

Sorry if I missed that part Arthur - I'll have been in awe of the photos! :D

I think it'll be a fantastic project! Please say you'll be taking it to exhibtions!!! (Or will accept visitors! :) )

Out of interest, what pattern will the track be? I'm not sure when Grant Lyon Eagre/British Steel started pushing out their FB track in the steel industry - the clips and steel sleepers (known as 'channels' in Scunthrope) seemed to be quite widely spread (even if not widespread, if you see what I mean) from the photos I've seen.

Incidently, for timber based track, Peco is probably pretty close for some of the p-way at Scunthorpe, even geometry ansd size wise!

Fantastic work Arthur.

Did you use Wills or Slaters corrugated? And if Slaters did you cut it up and lay it as individual sheets?

Looks like Wills to me. Most impressive Arthur.

Adam

Paul, Adam thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

Paul, yes, Adam is correct, they are the Wills corrugated iron sheets. I'm trying corrugated plasticard on a building at the other end to compare the two. I'll give you my thoughts so far for what it's worth. The Wills material has, in some ways, come out better than I expected. The downsides are it's very thick and the sheets are small. It's been commented on elsewhere that the sheets are moulded to give an uneveness to the layers of corrugated sheeting which might be fine for something knocked together by the local farmer or garage, but on a large industrial building, built by professional steel erectors, I would expect to find the individual sheets well aligned.

However, the main issue I have with the Wills sheets is joining them together. Making good vertical joints is possible, some of mine are better than others, but with more care I think you can get pretty good and consistent results. It's the horizontal joins which are a nightmare. Firstly, how do you match those purposely misaligned moulded joints? Secondly, for some odd reason, the Wills sheets depict 2 full rows and a part row of individual sheets. So if you just stack them you get rows of differing heights. I ended up cutting about 10mm off the top of each sheet before joining them so that each row of the corrugated sheets is the same size. I found it difficult to get anything like an invisible join. I've hidden one join behind the big pipe and arranged for the next one to coincide with the windows but there is a limit to how many horizontal appendages you can add to hide the joint. For example, when I build my open hearth melting shop it will have an outer wall around 5 ft x 15 inches high.

The roof, not that you can see it in the photos, is Slaters corrugated, used to get a thin, overhanging edge. I'm trying if for cladding too. Just scoring horizontal lines to represent the joins is a bit flat, yet the plasticard is too thick for simply overlapping them. I haven't tried it yet but my next trial will be to score lines for the vertical joins but make each row an individual strip and use some thin material, say 10 thou, behind the lower edge of each row just so that it stands a little proud of the row immediately beneath.

Hope that's of some interest. I've been following your diorama entry and was looking forward to seeing your own solutions to the problem.

Following on from Alastairs question here are some photos of the ingot cars flipped over showing the US style trucks and the lead flashing weights at either end.

post-6861-0-73451000-1308955297_thumb.jpg

post-6861-0-22761400-1308955311_thumb.jpg

and one showing one of the trucks next to a Romford wheelset, the US wheels are about 10mm over the tyres.

post-6861-0-45952800-1308955326_thumb.jpg

Finally, James, re. the track I'll use. Probably SMP bullhead for the bulk of it but with some heavier gauge flat bottom on places like the high line and the hot metal tracks. I have to say that I hadn't thought about using PECO to represent heavier industrial track.

Arthur

Thanks Arthur.

I'm thinking about using Slaters cut into individual sheets and overlapped as, like you, I'm not convinced that Wills is suitable for large industrial buildings, however I don't know what size sheets wiggly tin comes in.

Lovely work on the ingot cars. Perhaps we could persuade Mr Thompson to add some to his range?

Paul, I think, though I'm not sure, that corrugated sheets were 8ft. long x 4ft. wide though I have a feeling I've seen 3ft. quoted as well.

Another useful item Robert might look at is the ingots themselves, mine are straight sided but they should have a slight taper and would lend themselves well to a simple casting, that's all they are in reality!!

Finally, James, re. the track I'll use. Probably SMP bullhead for the bulk of it but with some heavier gauge flat bottom on places like the high line and the hot metal tracks. I have to say that I hadn't thought about using PECO to represent heavier industrial track.

Sounds like a plan!

And no need to about sleeper spacing of the Peco track as hot metal roads are spaced closer :)

• 3 months later...

Some typical steelworks locomotives have been progressing through the workshops and have got to the priming stage. They were shunted out into the works yard today to have their photographs, black and white naturally, taken against a white painted wall.

post-6861-0-45751200-1317248919.jpg

post-6861-0-59547400-1317248921.jpg

Two from the Judith Edge range, a pair of Yorkshire Engine Company DE2's,

post-6861-0-56966600-1317248923.jpg

post-6861-0-30383400-1317248917.jpg

and two Yorkshire Engine Company 0-6-0ST's, these from Agenoria Kits.

None of them are quite complete, a few bits will be added after painting, the buffers are temporary fits and the first two do not have the bodies bolted down to the footplate. Final finishing awaits......

.....another pair from the Yorkshire Engine Company, which are well on their way to this stage, I'll leave you to ponder what they might be....

Arthur

• 10 months later...

I've just encountered this thread.

Great work!

I presume you have arrived at a solution regarding corrugated sheets, Arthur.

Over the years I've had the same dilemma.

No special insights from me I'm afraid, only opinions.

I've tried Wills, Slaters and International.

International I discarded because they are not possible to meld in the usual way and are fragile.

Wills finish is superior but difficult to work with, although possible as you have shown.

Slaters mouldings are beginning to show wear and tear and the sheets are never cut 'on the square' resulting in considerable wastage and availability is sporadic.

I've ended up using Slaters for most work as cladding over 1mm plasticard and find this is the easiest material to manipulate, especially for curved profiles.

Also, I use the scoring method to illustrate joins and find I can highlight these with darker colour - or rust marks as appropriate.

I can also leave a 1.5mm margin on the cladding to assist in disguising corners and 'punch' from the back to simulate fixings if needed.

However, the work you have shown needs little, if any, improvement and I look forward to further updates.

Thanks for sharing.

Archived