Leith Baltic Street

Andrew F

Hello again and thanks

Ian (Artizan); yeah, that avatar should freak you out; France Gall is hot! Her voice (with Serge Gainsbourg music or nice Orchestrations) always keeps me calm when modelling. I think that bridge and tunnel plus the turn-out are not prototypical....double track bridge and single track tunnel? Double track tunnel with a later track laying scheme would have been Ok and would maybe explain the turn-out but I had no room at all. Stranger things may occur though?...we can always explain.

McRuss, I'm useless with computers and never sorted out a decent plan; nor either on paper. It's a bit hotch potch to honest.

Ian (Clecklewyke) It's not really worth converting to EM as a layout, like you suggest, the corners are too tight in places and a lot of the scenes just don't work because of the loft restrictions and plain bad management of space.

Mark (MRD) I didn't realise the old Leith North had been demolished (that was a Caley?) Yes, there's plenty of tracks still around the docks. Wouldn't it be good to introduce a tourist steam pug and dig out some more tracks in Leith?...like they've done in Bristol with a working steam crane? New Leith, what is it really? By the way, your modelling is something else I'll add!

Rosebay and Foxglove are pretty hard to distinguish in modelling. Have you seen Cactustrain's plants? I don't know how he did those...unbelievable!

six 0 six; you recognise the pond! I saw a beer garden that was just in a cleft of destroyed tennement; I've modelled that part but it looks a bit naff on the layout.

There will be Irn Bru or Tennents being dished out if I find you.

Andy C, Dewsbury Midland is one layout that made this one happen...trying to emulate that level of building style and appearance, plus a lot of that 'behind the scene' stuff invoked an attempt!. This layout was an inspiration...not an inspiration so much as a ....religous event....

.I've built a single MSE post NB home signal:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh195/GROTLAND/DSCF8093.jpg?t=1311388472

Beside it's distant(oof) Ratio cousin(to be fair the Ratio lattice is a heavier guage LNER signal and the brass post is an old Stevens flat bar/back to back lattice). I can't convey my happiness enough about this first build and if any beginner was in any doubt about building such a kit I would like to silence their doubts right now.

The instructions imply that you should have a simple understanding of signal operation and a general know-how of wire size and pin-vice stuff...and states that you should have a 50W down to 25W adjustable iron with 3 types of solder but I built this with just the 50W iron and normal 188 solder(Ok I used epoxy for the finial and the lamp)

I say you should have experience with a pin vice and make good use of the reverse pressure tweezers.

The MSE kit is enjoyable and gives you confidence to try a more complicated bracket...just working through the kit will stimulate your interest!

Updates will take us through the more complex bracket signals and shunting signals.........I have to learn that stuff!

Thanks for following

Andy

• Like 2

Guest oldlugger

Lovely layout Andy! The vegetation, and subtle colours you've used for the structures are very effective.

Simon

I model in P4 but I too look at the buildings first. MMRC's Dewsbury is OO but the buildings make it fabulous - giving it a real sense of place in an area which I am also trying to conjure up in my modeling.

Could you not convert it to EM or are the corners too sharp? Remember that Dunwich was converted from EM to P4 - conversion to a finer scale can be done, and is worthwhile when the aspic (suddenly remembered from an early Rice article!) surrounding the railway is so right.

I wholeheartedly agree about both Dewsbury Midland and Leith Baltic Street, but I wouldn't put any pressure on Andy to go for EM. At an exhibition a few years ago (I think it was a Scalefour North at Wakefield) I admired the loco wheels lathe-produced by a pleasant and informative chap who happened to comment that some layouts outstanding for their buildings and scenery were spoilt for him by the use of 00 Gauge. He particularly mentioned Dewsbury Midland, so I asked him if he'd noticed that the canopy columns were constructed from metal tube. This meant that they were of round section rather than the octagonal section of the MR canopy columns of Bingley, on which the platform canopies were based. He hadn't noticed, and we agreed that the compromise was understandable and acceptable in a large exhibition layout where this would only be picked up by the scenic equivalent of a rivet counter. A minor point compared to the question of gauge, to be sure, but to me even the "narrow gauge" of 00 can be overlooked in a layout that captures time and place so perfectly - and I speak as one born within earshot of Leith Central in LNER days!

I thought readers of this topic might be interested in the attached photograph. It is of Scotland Street yard in Edinburgh, which was just north of the New Town, at the entrance to Scotland St tunnel. This connected the original NB line to Leith to Waverley Station.

Looks full of the same sort of atmosphere as Baltic St!

Ian

post-4908-0-08330900-1311763484_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Superb work. Brooding, even menacing in parts. A place Logan McRae would go on vacation, someone pass me an Irn-Bru.............More please.

Best, Pete.

Sorry Pete, think it's more D.I. Steele's sort of area! I'm sure there is a "naughty" Noch figure that would look the part!! :laugh:

Seriously,another vote for superb atmosphere and modelling, hope I can recreate a similar run-down environment feel, although much further south.

Cheers, Peter C.

I thought readers of this topic might be interested in the attached photograph. It is of Scotland Street yard in Edinburgh, which was just north of the New Town, at the entrance to Scotland St tunnel. This connected the original NB line to Leith to Waverley Station.

Ian

I'm almost sure a model of this was featured as Railway of the month in RM, late 90's early 00's? A terrific effort, also full of atmosphere.

Cheers, Peter C.

What a fantastic layout the buildings are brilliant and the atmosphere of the layout oozes from every picture.Who cares what track code is used it looks very well detailed,the important thing is does the layout look realistic and this one does so carry on as you are.What material did you use for the buildings they are weathered so well ,the ground cover is so realistic what materials have you used to recreate the areas around the tracks.

• RMweb Gold

on Baltic Street, I bet you can smell the brewery?

As a former resident of Auld Reekie I could not have summed up the atmosphere more pertinently than Clecklewyke has! And looking at the other posts I'm clearly not the only one. I echo all the plaudits on your skills Andy - what was the source of your Cl 100 DMU BTW? That's nearly as Scottish an icon as your canopies and NBR signal box,

Regards

Gus

• RMweb Gold

Ian

Ah! Scotland Street Yard.....

I wondered how long before this gem was trotted out as an ideal example to go with Leith Baltic Street!

Ian - Is this a photo of your own? If so can I get a large version!

So - What's it like now?

post-6887-0-24671800-1311800734_thumb.jpg

post-6887-0-74306200-1311800767_thumb.jpg

post-6887-0-78683700-1311800810_thumb.jpg

post-6887-0-83272100-1311800849_thumb.jpg

post-6887-0-80009600-1311800891_thumb.jpg

post-6887-0-60947900-1311800929_thumb.jpg

Thanks

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ian - Is this a photo of your own? If so can I get a large version!

Afraid not - found by my friend Steve Griffiths on http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_edin_t/0_edinburgh_transport_-_railways.htm

Ian (Who had two hours between trains from Stirling to Garsdale on Saturday but didn't make it to Scotland St. Instead I revisited my old haunts as a student around the Old College/ Meadows area)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest stuartp

About time this was bumped. My knowlege of Leith extends to knowing it's the bit you can see in the distance from Edinburgh Castle, but this is absolutely gorgeous, and like others I subconconciously ignored the Code 100, such is the quality of everything else.

It appears to run as well as it looks too, I hope Andrew doesn't mind me posting this link:

• Like 4

The last-but-one shot of the tenements really belongs in the 'How Realistic' thread. I find that indistiguishable from reality.

The Dr Foster is convincing enough to my mind, all the signature features are there; recently I've been happy to adopt the concessions of NVD and ITPTH*.

* Normal Viewing Distance and Is The Prototype To Hand?

The last-but-one shot of the tenements really belongs in the 'How Realistic' thread. I find that indistiguishable from reality.

Aye, and very much a snapshot of time, where one block has had the industrial grime sandblasted off but its neigbour awaits treatment.

There's still a blackened block not far from me, and I find it hard to picture how the whole city would have looked in soot black/grey.

• RMweb Premium

Another excellent selection of atmospheric photos. At this rate you will soon be heading up Leith Walk past the junction with Pilrig Street and onwards to Elm Row where you could always include the front of Harburn Hobbies!

Wonderful work Andy.

I find it hard to picture how the whole city would have looked in soot black/grey.

I spent a bit of time around Glasgow in the late fifties/early sixties. Yes it was black and grey but then so was London and most cities in the UK. I was more astonished when they started cleaning up the buildings (particularly in London) to find just how beautiful many were. I still get surprised when I come "home", I suppose our memories from a young age are very formative.

Andy's model buildings are so good...........

Best, Pete.

I spent a bit of time around Glasgow in the late fifties/early sixties. Yes it was black and grey but then so was London and most cities in the UK. I was more astonished when they started cleaning up the buildings (particularly in London) to find just how beautiful many were. I still get surprised when I come "home", I suppose our memories from a young age are very formative.

Andy's model buildings are so good...........

Best, Pete.

Apparently they gave up on Downing Street. It really has typical yellow London brick but it was so soot stained that rather than clean it they painted the brick black.

Which comment prevents this being simply a "me too" adulation. Andy you clearly love Edinburgh and Leith, you put so much into your wonderful buildings. Does the layout ever get out to play at exhibitions or is it irredeemably stuck in your loft? It deserves to be seen by as many people as possible.

Ian.

• 7 months later...

Literally breathtaking stuff Andy.

If the resolution was higher I'd be sorted for desktop PC wallpaper for months from this post alone.

Pleased to see the outcome of the 26 bodysides - didn't think it'd be obvious but the most effective touches never are. Point rodding pic is beautifully observed in the b&w shot, NBL pic in black and white is straight out of O'Hara's big blue book.

• Like 2