Leith Baltic Street

Andrew F

Guest jonte

This is absolutely FABULOUS Andy and I can only concur with the authors of previous postings. What amazes me is that you've managed to capture the mood and atmosphere of the filthy, decaying cityscape without resorting to finescale. And with Peco Code 100.......give this man a medal.

Very well done, Andy.

Thanks for sharing.

Jonte

• Like 4

without resorting to finescale.

Jonte, be under no illusions - this is finescale modelling!

There's so much more to finescale than track standards; it's very much a state of mind and this layout is a wonderful example of this. Everything works as one and looks right. It does use Peco track but so what? (And I say that as a one who models in P4!) The colours and textures as such that it becomes part of the whole scene.

It's superb.

• Like 2

Jonte, be under no illusions - this is[/i] finescale modelling!

There's so much more to finescale than track standards; it's very much a state of mind and this layout is a wonderful example of this. Everything works as one and looks right. It does use Peco track but so what? ... The colours and textures as such that it becomes part of the whole scene.

I'm not getting into the 'let's define finescale' debate except maybe to cite the celebrated Pengwynn Crossing, another layout that used code 100 but would be classed by many as 'finescale'. I do very much agree with the basic point here though, especially the colours and textures - the 'suspension of disbelief' I referred to in another recent thread means that the track is either the last thing you look at, or that you willingly accept it because everything else is so 'right'.

• Like 3

This is such a find! The type of attention to detail on every aspect of this railway (such as the bodyside panelling on the Class 27 in the 'other' thread) strikes a real chord with me.

Andy, I hope you plan to show a lot more here.

Guest jonte

Jonte, be under no illusions - this is[/i] finescale modelling!

There's so much more to finescale than track standards; it's very much a state of mind and this layout is a wonderful example of this. Everything works as one and looks right. It does use Peco track but so what? (And I say that as a one who models in P4!) The colours and textures as such that it becomes part of the whole scene.

It's superb.

James,

What on earth have I written to elicit a response such as this?

I only wished to express my admiration, like yourself, for a wonderfully evocative piece of modelling, all the more meritorious in my view as Andy's achieved it with readily available proprietary items, which makes it all the more appealing as perhaps it's something we can all aspire to, although talent has a lot to do with it I'm sure.

Perhaps the terms 'Peco' and 'finescale' appearing in the same text had you jumping to conclusions, quite wrongly as you'll see.

When I wrote that Andy had no reason to resort to finescale modelling I was merely referring a sentence in his post which read, " ..learn skills to apply to a finescale layout when I'm older". As far as I'm concerned, he's no need to as IMHO he's already there. The fact that he achieved it with Peco Code 100 as opposed to finescale Peco Code 75 or any other type of track work, commercial or handbuilt, makes it all the more meritorious. If, however, you intend to resurrect that old chesnut of finescale -v- non finesclae and curry favour in the process (as I see from the endorsements it has received) then go right ahead, my friend, but please don't do it at my expense.

If this is the sort of response you're likely to get when you try and show a little support and respect for the work of a fellow contributor, then in future I just shaln't bother!

• Like 5

What on earth have I written to elicit a response such as this?

It appeared you didn't think the layout was in the finescale catagory - I think it is. The standard is very high indeed.

Perhaps the terms 'Peco' and 'finescale' appearing in the same text had you jumping to conclusions, quite wrongly as you'll see.

No jumping to conclusions what so ever! As Ian mentions, Pengwyn Crossing featured code 100 track, and that showed how colour and texture really plays a major role

When I wrote that Andy had no reason to resort to finescale modelling I was merely referring a sentence in his post which read, " ..learn skills to apply to a finescale layout when I'm older".

The problem is he's far, far too modest! His stuff is superb!

he's already there.

Agreed :)

The fact that he achieved it with Peco Code 100 as opposed to finescale Peco Code 75 or any other type of track work, commercial or handbuilt, makes it all the more meritorious. If, however, you intend to resurrect that old chesnut of finescale -v- non finesclae and curry favour in the process (as I see from the endorsements it has received) then go right ahead, my friend, but please don't do it at my expense.

'My friend'? :lol:

My view is that finescale is a state of mind, it's fuelled by people who want to model to the best of their ability. This layout is a wonderful piece of work. No debate needed at all.

If this is the sort of response you're likely to get when you try and show a little support and respect for the work of a fellow contributor, then in future I just shaln't bother!

We both admire this layout so let's leave it there :)

Thanks Andy, Jonte, Pennine and James; it's Ok. I was just trying to appear informal when I opened up the thread there, but reading it back, it does come across like I'm making a distniction; defining finescale and apologising for code 100. When testing a loco at a friends place, it's on a piece of 00 SMP bullhead track and it just looks really good. Friendly ribbing about Peco code 100 is always going on there and it sticks with me. I'd just really like to try EM and a smaller high detail layout and build some points. I guess it's down to how much time you spend building different stuff and I always look at the buildings first on an exhibition layout before noticing the track scale but it's the other way round if you build a lot of track I think.

Anyway, a really big thank you for the responses! I was apprehensive on the old site and didn't want to justify the flaws I knew too well but I was daft and wrong because there's something here for beginners and old hands to find interest in. Oh, and there's some real Celtic cheer...If a Wakey man can convey his impressions and memories on you and it works, then it's heart warming..really.

I thought the boy Chard might approve. I'm glad that old '78 rag made a lasting impression on you too. Ian, that tour in the 70's must have been very interesting. It would have been great to see Leith Central station; only destroyed in '89 I think...never saw the barn!

Millerhill, thanks!, the tenements I built were taken from Salamander street...the blackest of housing! Salamander St becomes Baltic Street too and extends to Commercial street where the pugs crossed from North Leith into the docks. I got the layout name from this tiny sandwich of Baltic street..why name this 50 metre's of street?..I don't know.

My girl left me the week before..from the Baltic states ..but mainly I got the name from this building..:

DSCF0793.jpg

It has the best view in Leith from the bay window...West down Commercial St..East to Seafield...and straight..all the way up Constitution St to the 'Fit o the walk'. A commercial office but really a residence for a king.

It's on a real gradient on the layout:

DSCF7989.jpg

Here's some more pictures taken tonight after I'd finished the Ratio LNER signals. They need NB'ing; I don't know if I'll cut off the junction supports, replace 'em with diagonal bars or just make MSE signals...they look difficult!

DSCF8055.jpg

Austerity trundling past the loop and exchange siding for the LGW place...where there's no proper wagons:)

That's tight!

DSCF8059.jpg

The tenements (the red ones are from Lochend Rd, the dark ones from Salamander St)

DSCF8068.jpg

DSCF8084.jpg

This is on the corner of Salamander and Bath Rd....but the real pub(in the dark tenement) is open for continental beer...I've never been in...It's supposed to be one of Leith's best kept secrets but I know a few others:)

These are some of the arches on the approach to the station.

DSCF8070.jpg

I modelled the Caley new lines by accident(there wasn't much on the net at the time and ..ach..it's funny), thinking that this was the approach to the NB station. Only I could get something so wrong back then. The NB wouldn't have used red sandstone but I've given Leith council the Caley/NB joint station they wanted.

Andy

• Like 18

Your avatar still freaks me out! Perhaps because she is one hot chick?

Anyway - back on topic! - the latest photos says it all really. Well observed, well built and well taken.

A question - in the photo of the Austerity, is it really prototypical to have a turnout in a tunnel like that? My layout features two just like that as well because it was the only way to fit it all in!

The decidedly grungy look to the track with the ballast colours and general weeds and mess around really paints a picture for me and I live about as far away from the subject as possible (well nearly, if I was back home in NZ that would be furthest). yes.gif

I'd just really like to try EM and a smaller high detail layout and build some points. I guess it's down to how much time you spend building different stuff and I always look at the buildings first on an exhibition layout before noticing the track scale but it's the other way round if you build a lot of track I think.

I model in P4 but I too look at the buildings first. MMRC's Dewsbury is OO but the buildings make it fabulous - giving it a real sense of place in an area which I am also trying to conjure up in my modeling.

Could you not convert it to EM or are the corners too sharp? Remember that Dunwich was converted from EM to P4 - conversion to a finer scale can be done, and is worthwhile when the aspic (suddenly remembered from an early Rice article!) surrounding the railway is so right.

Sorry to continue to rave but those buildings are superb!

Ian

Hi Andrew,

Its great to see your layout on here - it is fantastic and I really hope that you share more of it on here as and when you have time as from what I have seen so far I really want to explore more of your layout. I live in Edinburgh and worked in Leith for 5 years so I know some of the areas and scenes you have described or created on your model and it astounds me at the quality and detail you have achieved and the overall colours and shading used to create so much atmosphere. The tenemants really stand out for me as well as the station and signal box. You have captured the real things perfectly. One of the old Leith stations stood opposite where the Brittannia Spice restaurant is today even into the early 2000's although in use as a builders yard but that has now gone and the site has modern flats. The old rails still sit in the cobbles all along the back of the old converted warehouses though just near to the Ocean Terminal shopping centre. As you say there are some good pubs in Leith and there are some to be well avoided!

Stunning layout - please show us more,

Thanks,

Mark

Wow. I've just found this one. Very atmospheric and your scenery and buildings are superb. Clecklewkye above mentions the buildings on Dewsbury Midland and I think these are in the same league. I also like the moody yet subtle backscene. Love the flowers (foxgloves I'm guessing) on the embankment in front of the tenements. More please!

Wow. I've just found this one. Very atmospheric and your scenery and buildings are superb. Clecklewkye above mentions the buildings on Dewsbury Midland and I think these are in the same league. I also like the moody yet subtle backscene. Love the flowers (foxgloves I'm guessing) on the embankment in front of the tenements. More please!

Although I am not familiar with the area I also find it very atmospheric, the flora is impressive, but my guess was rosebay willowherb, or fireweed as it is often known, it gets everwhere.

cheers

Like Clecklewyke im a person that tends to look at the buildings / infrastructure first (I wonder why!) and these are so well observed, and then modelled to a very high standard indeed. even looking at a two dimensional photo you can feel and even smell the atmosphere of the layout. It oozes quality, who gives s**t about the track standards. A layout id love to see in our show. (and thanks for the kind comments and comparisons about a certain MMRS layout as well folks)