Leith Baltic Street

Andrew F

• RMweb Premium

I'd forgotten just how stunning your layout is.

Baltic Street is in no small part what is driving me forward with Bacup and what I am hoping to achieve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah the first rate work continues adding to the sunny Leith atmosphere with more wonderfully realistic detail of the period. Great modelling of the highest order Andy.

And excellent timing of your post as the Hibees have won the Cup semi-final at Hampden today and now Sunshine on Leith and Glory Glory to the Hibees are belting out all around the area of your layout (and beyond)!

A glorious Saturday!

Eric

Edited by 60027Merlin
  • Like 1

Without doubt, setting the bar for modelling transition Scottish 'prototypes' - this is far and away the most impressive and inspirational 'body of work' to hit the front page for some time.

Wonderful.

Won't be hearing those on 19th May; just the Hearts song!

Cheers,

26power

SNIP

And excellent timing of your post as the Hibees have won the Cup semi-final at Hampden today and now Sunshine on Leith and Glory Glory to the Hibees are belting out all around the area of your layout (and beyond)!

A glorious Saturday!

Eric

• Like 1

Stunning work Andy,

I don't know much about signalling - but I just know those look the bee's knees :)

And I'd love to see the picture of the cranks and rodding emerging from under the signal box in colour sometime, if possible.

But of all the pictures posted the following I have to single out as exemplary: I suppose because it summerises much that is so notable about your layout: Mood, light, atmosphere, texture, detail, sense of time and place, and above all the very world-weary beaten paneling on the loco and well-buffed paintwork of the carriage ...

039-1.jpg

... it all adds up to a totally stand-out layout that leaves me breathless :)

Mark

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 12

Stunning work Andy,

I don't know much about signalling - but I just know those look the bee's knees :)

And I'd love to see the picture of the picture of the cranks and rodding emerging from under the signal box in colour sometime, if possible.

But of all the pictures posted the following I have to single out as exemplary: I suppose because it summerises much that is so notable about your layout: Mood, light, atmosphere, texture, detail, sense of time and place, and above all the very world-weary beaten paneling on the loco and well-buffed paintwork of the carriage ...

039-1.jpg

... it all adds up to a totally stand-out layout that leaves me breathless :)

Mark

Really reminds me of Lower Granton Road there, just at the junction where it runs into Starbank eventually.

Not a million miles at all from your intended target but it really 'feels' like there to me, quite superb. I've driven past there a million times and only just remember tracks being along there when <hovis on> I were a lad.

Superb stuff, it just feels 'so right'.

Its a toss up between this and the equally superb Scottish Whinburgh and Slitrigg.

• 4 months later...

This is an absolutely amazing model which captures the area superbly. The photos above are very reminiscent of the Edinburgh urban scene, and I would have to say, the photos around the embankment and bridge, could easily pass for the Edinburgh Sub, around the Gorgie/ NB distillery area, which was a regular haunt of mine as a kid back in the 70s. Can you tell us how big the layout is.

I was also interested in the photos of Scotland Street, My old club used to exhibit Dave Elbourne's old layout around the circuit, but I'm not sure whatever happened to it.

As has already been said it captures the look of the old buildings superbly. Living not far from Leith, but far enough :no: I know the pub you talk about earlier as well. Not sure of what other bits of Leith you mean though :angel:

Keep the photo's coming as your fleet grows as they capture what so many of us try to achieve and are an inspiration to me and others I am sure.

Guest Max Stafford

Glad this near-unparalleled gem of a creation has returned to the upper reaches of the forum's content. That's exactly where it deserves to be. Permanently!

Dave.

• Like 4

Good to see so many layouts on this website which are based on locations close to my home. Leith being about 3 miles away. The other interesting one, is in N gauge, based around Newcraighall/ Niddrie Junction. The old sidings here, which originally formed the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway line down to Leith actually ended in what is now my back garden.

• 6 months later...

This is an excellent model which captures the atmosphere of the Leith area superbly. The stone and brickwork on the buildings is bang to rights.

You have also captured the intricacies of the signals perfectly.

Look forward to seeing some steam on the line.

Look forward to seeing more of Leith.

Edited by andytrains

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

As has been said already, by others, this is fantastic.

I have been working in Leith for the last two years and have started to get to know the place, and your modelling really captures the feel of it.  Recognised a few of the buildings too.  All that's missing is the haar (sea-fog to the uninitiated) and some very dodgy characters on the street corners .....  :biggrin_mini2:

Again, brilliant.  Please keep up the good work.

Regards,

Alex.

I too was fascinated by John Roxburgh's layout of Leith Citadel in the RM and bitterly disappointed when I could not find the station but literally stumbled across the site of Scotland Street yard when I first visited Edinburgh in the 1990s.

The layout certainly captures the distinctive atmosphere of the place and is a great example of what can be achieved in OO that would be difficult in EM or S4.

Yes, me too, just discovered this stunning atmospheric model, the buildings and structures in particular are spot on and I love the bodge-it approach to modelmaking with great results, are you an architectural modelmaker by profession by any chance?

Your representation of panel rippling on the Class 26 bodyside is something I have been striving to achieve for many years, the slab side of a Class 47 in particular needs that rippling, please let us know how you did it.

Keep up this thread, it`s an inspiration!

Geoff.

Edited by delticman