Corgi London Underground tube carriage released (1:142 scale)

gc4946

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I saw these models on sale in the Bluebell Railway's shop at Sheffield Park:

http://shop.london20...Cast%20Vehicles

It's made by Corgi for the London 2012 Olympics and appears to be in N scale but don't know if it's either to 1:148 or 1:160 scale.

Having said that, I didn't open up the box to have a closer look, or to buy one, but it looks like it's one of the current Jubilee or Northern Line tube stock.

It has potential for anyone modelling the underground once repainted into standard LU livery.

• RMweb Premium

They are 'fit the box' scale and are of the '95 tube stock. The actual scale works out at 1/142 scale which means that you might just get away with running them with N scale. The chassis and bogies appear to be a one piece casting.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the clarification, but having spent quite a bit of time looking at the model yesterday, and given that deep-level tube stock profile is narrower and lower compared with surface stock and BR/Network Rail, it looked N scale to me, apologies given for misleading those who thought this was actual British or continental N scale.

(Title of topic amended in light of information)

Could make for an interesting N gauge tube layout, I doubt the difference in scale would matter if the layout was based on an underground station with "real" N Gauge on the surface. I wonder how easy it would be to motorise and whether any N gauge chassis would fit?

• RMweb Premium

Although I'm not a N gauge LU modeller, the N Gauge Society journal published an article some years ago (don't know the exact date) on how the scratchbuilt tube stock on "Kings Park" was modelled, using modified Arnold Kof 4-wheeled diesel shunter chassis, as they're low height, on the layout which is based on Queens Park on the Bakerloo Line with Watford DC class 501 EMUs and AC traction.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hornby's online shop is discounting these models now:

https://www.Hornby.com/shop/london-2012-range/great-british-classics/ty88901c-6-pack-great-british-classic-tube-train/ for a six-coach pack

or https://www.Hornby.com/shop/london-2012-range/great-british-classics/ty88901-great-british-classics-tube-train/ for individual carriages

I've ordered a six-coach pack at a very reasonable price.

Last Thursday, I visited the London 2012 shop within John Lewis's store in Stratford's Westfield shopping centre where they were still charging the full RRP for them and had loads available for sale.

• 5 months later...

N scale, underground tube 95 stock.

I have followed other threads on this subject with interest. Being retired means I have time to play with these things!

I was sure the corgi casting was of use so I acquired some off good old Ebay.

The paint came off easily with paint stripper and I was left with a fair quality casting in white.

Three cast studs need drilling out to remove the two plastic base parts and the one piece glazing.

At this stage the 3D printed version of 95 stock became available, so I bought one to compare. The 3D version is 7mm shorter but strangely enough pretty much the same width and height and obviously a lot lighter in the weight department.

To power the thing I couldn’t bring myself to destroy a Kato tram as they are superb models! I thought I would try a Tomytec motorised chassis. I found the TM-07 was the nearest. The three cast pillers need removing, once that is done the chassis could have been made for the cast body! It drops in, a comfortable fit width wise and only a couple of millimetres out length wise. It is held in by plasticard spacers. The idea is to run the powered car in the middle of a five car set. The motor and flywheels can be seen so some form of window blackout will be needed. Unless you want interiors this is good.

For the non driven bogies I used the side frames from the Corgi model with a plasticard spacer. Drill out the side frames and fit Parkside Dundas PN51 Bearing cups. Install PN67 5.1mm metal solid disc wheels. See pictures

The weight of the castings makes for a good solid ride. I only have straight track and large radius Peco points for testing and it is wobble free. However I don't think tight turns would be good as the wheels on the motorised chassis are within the sides of the body!

I could do with some help with the paint, TFL red and blue?

I have never worked in N scale, so some coupling advise would be nice?

I do hope this has been of some interest.

Roger Murray

post-2213-0-61573600-1362842638_thumb.jpg

post-2213-0-70488000-1362842666_thumb.jpg

post-2213-0-03866100-1362842695_thumb.jpg

post-2213-0-52162000-1362842721_thumb.jpg

post-2213-0-11809200-1362842748_thumb.jpg

post-2213-0-30303200-1362842774_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Have acquired 4 of these coaches at £5 each from a bargain bin, hoping to use a bit of artistic license to produce a 1960's silver or scarlet finish train to go with my Dapol London transport pannier. Tomytec chassis on the way right now, hoping to have a set running by September. Thanks for the inspiration guys!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Here are my efforts in making it into a decent model.
After the olympics when Hornby sold off their merchandise cheap I bought a bundle of 6 with the hope of making a 6 car train and after a lot of other projects I finally got round to finishing it. Same as other people's efforts with kato shorty bogies and a tomytec chassis and hand painted livery with custom transfers.
Not a perfect model but captures the look of the train well enough.
EE1E97E9-DAE6-4BC3-B518-58640D7A4417.jpeg.b62fce8c0a7eea3f18d865d35dffe29c.jpeg
AF682ECE-BE50-48BE-8B1E-AA390AA0D9DF.jpeg.d94eebbab45cc3813255aa9ea39d7d71.jpeg
02025EB0-97E9-4665-8610-2260E6490ACE.jpeg.db222bff6bbc6deeaa2dc6562d1c1e12.jpeg
50E4AB35-632D-4EA3-BA38-FDDCC83BD140.jpeg.5a51a1f1b4bc1ab26c7e4887a7d88803.jpeg

OliverSR

Archived