The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Any road cyclists on here?

14xx

Several.

There are even a few who do proper racing rather than posing. :no:

Bernard

Hopefully these 'few' do not include those that jump red lights?

Waiting at a local crossroads earlier today, lights of me (at head of the queue) go green so I start to move only to have to brake hard to avoid a cyclist coming from the right who had obviously gone through a red light (the previous indication to my lights had been a green man for pedestrians) so I can only assume that I, as a motorist, was in the wrong!

His comments and attitude certainly seemed to confirm this, especially after I pointed out that the 'green man' didn't seem to allow a 'pr*t' on a bike' to jump a red light!!!

Waiting at a local crossroads earlier today, lights of me (at head of the queue) go green so I start to move only to have to brake hard to avoid a cyclist coming from the right who had obviously gone through a red light (the previous indication to my lights had been a green man for pedestrians) so I can only assume that I, as a motorist, was in the wrong!

His comments and attitude certainly seemed to confirm this, especially after I pointed out that the 'green man' didn't seem to allow a 'pr*t' on a bike' to jump a red light!!!

quite a common occurance plus deciding to go on the payement when it suits them.

I wonder how many realise the highway code applies to them along with pedestrians and other road users.

Now the other nuisance on the road Motor Bikes, in the hill's near us speed limits (50mph) have been imposed so as to improve the safety of the road for these users, car drivers have to stick to them otherwise the boys in blue nab you yet the other users to which the new limits also apply to seem to think they are imune from the new limit. No doubt if any accident happens it will be the 4 wheel user that has caused it. Rant over

A man asks a perfectly sensible question and you have to chip in with the same old rant.

Why highlight the few racers from the several road cyclists?

You would find out that the real racing cyclists are very strict on obeying the law at all times if you ever have a chance to talk to any. You would not be able to do the mileage required if you took chances. I highlighted the posers with an emoticom to show that my remark was partly tongue in cheek. Proper racing cyclists usually ride in jackets proclaiming the location of their club. Again a reason to keep to the law and set a good example.

Bernard

Reminds me of the one that jumped a red on the pedestrian crossing outside KX/MacDonalds whilst I was at work one day. Thing was, I tugged around a Peli toolcase on wheels, which just happenned to go through his wheel. A good round of spontaneous applause followed from the other pedestrians that he narrowly missed....

Stewart

A man asks a perfectly sensible question and you have to chip in with the same old rant.

Why highlight the few racers from the several road cyclists?

You would find out that the real racing cyclists are very strict on obeying the law at all times if you ever have a chance to talk to any. You would not be able to do the mileage required if you took chances. I highlighted the posers with an emoticom to show that my remark was partly tongue in cheek. Proper racing cyclists usually ride in jackets proclaiming the location of their club. Again a reason to keep to the law and set a good example.

Bernard

May I ask do you ride in single file when there is a group of you racing or not on the highway as the highway dictates as my experience is when a club is out for a ride when traffic is about they tend to ride in a bunch 2 or 3 deep.

Oh Dear. What a shame that all cyclist get lumped into this catagory.

I get harranged about this everytime someone finds out that I ride a bike.

Here is the list of rants that I get bored with, They all begin with "why do ALL cyclist;

jump red lights,

riding the wrong way up one way streets

never ride on the cycle lanes

ride on the pavement

ride two abreast

not have lights on at night (you can also add lights on during the day as well...this has been aimed at me)

not pay road tax

ride on the road

not keep up with other traffic (yes honestly)

not wear helmets

have flashing lights

Overtake on the outside

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

Unfortunatly the good get branded by the bad as in most cases, I ride a bike from time to time and make a point of sticking to the rules so I do agree with you. But as a motorist I see both sides of the coin I have even had a cyclist repeatedly bang the side of my car when I have been stationary in a que of traffic only to ride throught the lights on red and then to become very abusive when challenged over his actions towards my vehicle

• RMweb Premium

Add

'not pass a test'

'not have insurance'

I haven't ridden for a while for various reasons including fitness, but used to commute and ride out in the country. I get angry about these sorts of comments as well, partly because I think a lot of them apply not to 'cyclist' but to 'idiots/ anti-social people on bikes'. I'm sad to see the seme stuff again on here, when the subject of the thread was clear; can we get back to it please?

Pete

I am just getting back into testing (Timetrialling) after a break of a few years due to ill health.

I did a two club 10's a 25 and our club hilly 12 that circulates Boxhill.

I have (foolishly) entered the Grand Prix De Gentlemen next week as a pacer.

For those who are interested, The GpG is a timetrial (race against the clock) in which a "Gentlemen" (could be a lady) who is a veteran (over 45) is paced around the course until the last 200 yards (I think) at which point the Gentlemen will proceed to the finish line unaided. The result is based on the Gentlemans time minus the age handicap. So to win it you need a very old veteran who can hang onto a wheel.

• RMweb Gold

May I ask do you ride in single file when there is a group of you racing or not on the highway as the highway dictates as my experience is when a club is out for a ride when traffic is about they tend to ride in a bunch 2 or 3 deep.

Sorry, but that is not quite accurate - the Highway Code actually says:

"You should

• never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends"

However this is only advisory (despite the "should"). Furthermore using common sense which is better for passing traffic a very long single file line (which requires you to move out to pass - if you don't then you are probably not giving sufficient room) or a much shorter line (which also requires you to pull out).

• RMweb Gold

How about Sustrans they not exactly railway friendly!

Sustrans didn't close any railways - just took over some of the track beds well after they were closed.

You could argue that had it not been for Sustrans the old track beds would have been completely obliterated or built on. I can't see them re-opening but at least, in some cases, they are still there, thanks to Sustrans.

Sustrans didn't close any railways - just took over some of the track beds well after they were closed.

You could argue that had it not been for Sustrans the old track beds would have been completely obliterated or built on. I can't see them re-opening but at least, in some cases, they are still there, thanks to Sustrans.

Sustrans have taken over many stretches of former raillway lines and in the main have paid very little for this prividge in main cases, however if a preservation society wants to re-open the line for rail use again they have been very obstructive and unhelpful in many cases.

Took the words straight out of my mouth, but I see little point in rising to the bait. There's nothing I can say to alter their point of view so I wouldn't waste time trying to.

So back to the original post instead. I'm a keen road cyclist, been tempted by sportive's but not being a competitive soul it's never really bothered me about entering any. I push myself when I'm out on the road but I prefer just going out for a ride. Most of my road miles are commuting to work but over the summer I volunteered for a charity ride for a bit of a challenge. So it was 170 miles from Warton to RAF Coningsby over 2 days. So a little bit of training over the summer and I completed the ride in September. Got number 1 son interested, so he's just done a sponsored 21 mile bike ride.

On Saturday read about James Cracknell attempting the Lands End to John'o'Groats tandem record (50hrs 14 minutes IIRC). Started following their progress and they passed through Preston on Saturday night. So kept the kids up and walked them and the dogs to the A6. At about 23:45 Saturday we cheered them through North of Preston, gutted they had to stop within sight of J'O'G.

Guest Max Stafford

Although I'm more of a runner at the moment, I do enjoy a good run out on my Claud Butler for fitness training. There's still plenty of opportunity to avoid traffic on local back roads which helps a lot.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

So back to the original post instead. I'm a keen road cyclist, been tempted by sportive's but not being a competitive soul it's never really bothered me about entering any.

Don't be put off by sportives - there are those that want to post a good time, there are those who just want to ride. Like you, (I think), I'm somewhere between the two. Get a couple of mates and enter one. Guessing from your post, you're in the Preston area - try the Bay Dash next year - it starts in Lancaster and heads up into the southern Lake District.

I do road and MTB when time allows. Hoping to go out MTB in the dark tomorrow night - I have good lights!

Sportives this year include the Cheshire Cat (got my Mow Cop medal!) and Bay Dash, and planning to do the Christmas Cracker. I spent a few days earlier this summer on part of Bill Honeywell's Ride around Britain (he did the full 4400 miles, I only did 600) in aid of Cancer Research.

Earlier this year, some guys from my MTB group organised a trip to the Velodrome in Manchester - scary high up on the bords, but brilliant fun.

The only "race" I've done was the bike leg of a triathlon as a relay team. 31 km in 1 hour 14min, which considering it included the very steep side of Jeffrey Hill/Longridge fell was good for me.

And yes - it does hack me off when a cyclist goes through a red light/rides pavements, as it gives us all a bad name.

Cheers,

Mick

Don't be put off by sportives - there are those that want to post a good time, there are those who just want to ride. Like you, (I think), I'm somewhere between the two. Get a couple of mates and enter one. Guessing from your post, you're in the Preston area - try the Bay Dash next year - it starts in Lancaster and heads up into the southern Lake District.

Sportives this year include the Cheshire Cat (got my Mow Cop medal!) and Bay Dash, and planning to do the Christmas Cracker. I spent a few days earlier this summer on part of Bill Honeywell's Ride around Britain (he did the full 4400 miles, I only did 600) in aid of Cancer Research.

Earlier this year, some guys from my MTB group organised a trip to the Velodrome in Manchester - scary high up on the bords, but brilliant fun.

And yes - it does hack me off when a cyclist goes through a red light/rides pavements, as it gives us all a bad name.

The Bay dash sounds interesting, but not sure I'm up to the Wrynose route though! What's a typical pace on the Bay Dash then? If I was going to do it then I wouldn't want to be trailing behind everybody. I had a couple of good rides on my training, went camping and kayaking at Bala but took the bike for a bit of training, 1200ft of climbing in half a dozen miles, which was hard but rewarding. Short distances I could probably clock 18 to 19 mph average over 10 / 15 miles, longer distances (>50miles) probably 16 / 17 mph average, all solo. Having never entered in any events, I've no idea how that compares to the average entrant.

A colleague on the charity bike ride this year had just done the tower to tower ride (Eiffel tower to Blackpool tower), next year is planning the three towers, Tower of Pisa, Eiffel Tower to Blackpool Tower, about 1200 miles in 12 days!

Velodrome! Love to have a go, must be great to ride the banking.

As for the road manners, I'm very much I ride on the road so I obey the rules of the road attitude, that includes filtering through traffic which seems to annoy some. However I must admit I've just bought a small bullet camera from Dogcam to video the lunatic motorists and yes I've had my fair share of them. Unless it's a high risk junction I keep my kids (10yrs and 7yrs) on the road where possible, teaching them roadcraft as much as possible. Hopefully when they get their first motorbike they'll be able to read the road!

Oh for goodness sake! It only took until the third post...

Why is it that every thread about cycling turns into a discussion about the highway code? Sure some bike riders ignore traffic rules, but many car drivers do too. Cyclists jump red traffic lights here too - and you can get points on your driving license for offenses committed on a bike in Germany.

I am not much of a road cyclist, as I prefer to keep to the byways and forest tracks and as such ride a hybrid road/tracking bike.

I haven't been out too much recently, but did do a 35 mile run out around the airport and back last weekend.

is there a bit of pots and kettles here.If we are to consider the Highway Code fine,but look at the thread re speed limits, raising them to 80 because that.s what everyone does anyway. There are many more motorists than road racers around and probably more motorists are guilty of jumping lights s,failing to stop start etc to say nothing of the uninsured drivers around. I have never been knocked off my bike by a cyclist but twice by motorists who have failed to signal jumped red lights,in one case the victim (me ) got no apology and a nasty gash to my leg, in the other the car kept on going with a bit of my handlebar suspended from his front bumper.

In short all of us are probably guilty of a little indiscretion at one time or another, its human nature, and many cyclists do carry insurance on their household policies if they are with the right company.

Wow - only asked a simple question - didn't expect such a vitriolic response! Bernard - I'm afraid I did all my posing as a 20/30 year old riding TTs & circuit races back in the day!;0) I'm now into Audaxes primarily, as in my late fifties I'm more attuned to stamina than speed in cycling.

Re: the points about road behaviour - as someone pointed out,it's often the minority that get the majority a bad name. Bit like railway modelling - there's a significant minority of plain 'weirdos' that get attracted to the hobby, but the majority are not like that; unfortunately it's the weirdo element that the media primarily focuses upon if the hobby is mentioned.

As for the comment about motorcyclists - I'm of the firm belief that before anyone is allowed to drive a car, they should pass the motorcycle test first - it's much more rigorous and makes you a better all-round driver.

Anyway, back to topic - are any of you road cyclists down in the south west area?

Archived