Dap'O'l 7mm Private Owner wagons announced

Andy Y

Dapol have just announced that they will be producing 5-plank, 7-plank and 8-plank wagons for British O gauge.

Dapol_PO_Chatt_closed.jpg

Dapol_PO_Chatt_open.jpg

Specification:

Sprung buffers

Metal sprung coupling hook

3-link metal chain

Brass axle 'cups'

Profiled darkened metal wheels

Opening side doors

Internal wall and floor painting

Chassis side painting and printing where applicable

Protective slip box

Dapol_PO_5plank_closed.jpg

Dapol_PO_5plank_open.jpg

These wagons are the first in a whole new range of products from Dapol for O gauge and the 2012 catalogue will have a dedicated section showing next year's further expansion of new models with at least one locomotive featuring in this gauge.

Dapol_PO_7plank_open.jpg

The wagons will be hand made and painted/printed at the Chirk factory and the production runs will be priced at a competitive RRP of £39.95.

As part of the production run is handled in house, short production runs as low as 25 can be commissioned which enables stockists or societies to offer limited quantities.

RMweb is please to announce that it has commissioned the first limited edition run of these private owner wagons, more details of which can be found here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/47799-rmweb-7mm-private-owner-wagon-limited-edition/

Guest Max Stafford

Dapol seem to have got their thing together in the most spectacular fashion in recent times. Although I don't do the senior scale, these look like an utterly superb product which is bound to go down a storm with the O gauge frat - top class and a seriously ballsy move on Dapol's part!

Dave.

Wow absolutely amazing.

Looks like I made the decision to change scale at the right time! I agree the price is broadly similar to purchasing a kit I am sure this will appeal considerably. Now the question is which ones would look the best on my layout... :D

Cheers,

~ Gary

Not my thing, but the apparently heavy "grain" affect caught my eye immediately, compared to the prototype picture on the LE thread. Would also have thought the floor planks would be tightly butted to each other, rather than the apparently large gap shown? I assume these are essentially production models already?

Sorry to say but apparent "own goals" such as these seem likely to reduce sales. In the same way that I guess the profile issue for Heljan Mk1s must be an issue for some O gauge types?

Apologies for the negarive vibe - maybe in the flesh they look better?

Regards,

26power

Very pleased to see some more O gauge wagons but I wonder whether future plans will cater for the more modern modeller? I think something widespread like Railfreight box vans (VDA etc) would go down very well in about a year or so's time please DapolDave...

Half a dozen of those, a Heljan 33 and the Bachmann 122 I'm currently repainting would probably make quite a nice little compact-ish layout.

Now all we need is Peco to increase their O gauge track range with some different radii (tighter please) points and I'm home and dry. Well, apart from the house move but hey that's another story.

As part of the production run is handled in house, short production runs as low as 25 can be commissioned which enables stockists or societies to offer limited quantities.

Not just stockists and societies but I'd have thought a 25 run production is within the realm of some private enthusiasts.

Not my thing, but the apparently heavy "grain" affect caught my eye immediately, compared to the prototype picture on the LE thread. Would also have thought the floor planks would be tightly butted to each other, rather than the apparently large gap shown? I assume these are essentially production models already?

Sorry to say but apparent "own goals" such as these seem likely to reduce sales. In the same way that I guess the profile issue for Heljan Mk1s must be an issue for some O gauge types?

Regards,

26power

I suspect most people buying these are not going to worry too much about the spacing of the floor planks, however that "wood grain" is very much at odds with how they were turned out originally (see photo of original). However for something post 1948 with some heavy weathering they could well be just the thing methinks!

John.

Regards,

26power

I had raised this point with Dave who advised:

The planking wont be so pronounced on the final model and will allow better printing rather than the current ‘distressed’ look you see on our first EP rush paint job versions.

They might want to supply the door catches separately if they want the operating side doors not to look odd.

The buffers and lever guard suggest its based on a pre '23 design in some respects. Apart from the oil axleboxes and dropped section on the end door for the bar its very similar to your commisioned Glouc'r one http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/47799-rmweb-7mm-private-owner-wagon-limited-edition/ I'd get one of those too but I think i'll leave it for an active 0 gauge modeller.

A decent model though if they remove the grain effect.

They might want to supply the door catches separately if they want the operating side doors not to look odd.

The buffers and lever guard suggest its based on a pre '23 design in some respects.

A decent model though if they remove the grain effect.

Also, the larger wagons would almost invariably have bottom doors - and if they do get these don't omit the Monkey tail for releasing the door.

I suspect that distressed BR era PO wagons would be popular, as BR steam era is popular in 7mm - although I do accept there is a lot more interest in pre-nationalisation in 7mm than is now apparent in 4 or 2mm.

Paul Bartlett

Very pleased to see some more O gauge wagons but I wonder whether future plans will cater for the more modern modeller? I think something widespread like Railfreight box vans (VDA etc) would go down very well in about a year or so's time please DapolDave...

Half a dozen of those, a Heljan 33 and the Bachmann 122 I'm currently repainting would probably make quite a nice little compact-ish layout.

Now all we need is Peco to increase their O gauge track range with some different radii (tighter please) points and I'm home and dry. Well, apart from the house move but hey that's another story.

If you require diversity on 0 gauge points take a look at MARCWAY Sheffield who produce points from 4' radius, along with curved points, crossings, double & single slips and more, we have used them for years with great success.

This is very good news for 0 gaugers and they certainly look a lot better than their 00 gauge efforts. I do think it's a pity they decided to compete with Lionheart in producing PO wagons when they are so many other prototypes they could have chosen to start with. The price is very reasonable though and I look forward to seeing which locos they are planning to produce.

HSB

Quite an exciting development. Of course my complaint is the opposite to many on here, as they're too 'late' for me, and it seems a pity they're more or less a direct competitor for Lionheart when so many other PO types are out there. But the price is very, very reasonable. One would be pushed to build a kit with full interior detail for much less. I suspect these will sell very well indeed, especially with the growing preference for RTR that seems to be out there.

I feel an 'undecorated' version also be popular, given the huge range of suitable transfers available from the likes of POWSIDES.

. I suspect these will sell very well indeed, especially with the growing preference for RTR that seems to be out there.

One of the things that's put me off O gauge for many years is the lack of rtr stock - there are of course many types of modellers out there but I'm one of those who would rather build a layout and 'play trains' for the want of a better way of putting it, than spending 3 years burning my fingers trying to solder together a brass kit that I am more than likely to bodge up at least once during construction and possibly ruin, let alone my lack of airbrushing skills to finish the thing.

WIth some Peco track and rtr stock, it is quite possible to put together a fairly simple and basic O gauge layout with the only real limiting factor now being the high cost, part of which is based around the smaller quantities that can be sold requiring a larger ROI per unit - simple economics.

I very much doubt we'll ever see wagons for £20 and coaches for £50 out there (being approximately scaled up from OO prices) but I applaud Dapol for dipping their toes into a still relatively neglected market (rtr O gauge) even if these particular wagons don't really interest me or suit what I would want to feature on an O gauge layout - partly as being a young'un (nearly 40) my interests would lean more towards the 70's, 80's and 90's rather than the 'big four' or earlier which is where most O gaugers seem to sit.

As I said previously, give us some more modern wagons like Railfreight red and grey livery box vans RTR and I'd quite possibly snap up half a dozen as quickly as SWMBO allows me to. I know in the grand scheme of things 6 isn't many but given that few people have the space or the budget to run 12 coach expresses in O gauge I think it works well. Now if they decide to go into locos and come up with a plastic bodied but nicely detailed 08 for about £200 then I'm sorted...

Oh dear, I have always been in the 4mm camp and haven't tried 7mm partly for reasons that cromptonnut indicates (there's price as well of course). I will do a kit but only if I need the particular vehicle and it's not available RTR. Now with RTR support for 7mm increasing on almost a daily basis, I might be tempted to do something modest.

Kudos to Dapol for this.

John

Definitely pre-1923 RCH specification elements; so not quite so long-lasting as the '23 types were. Accordingly it would be nice to see slight variations in the axlebox type and the shape of the washer plates, giving added variety - there were a lot of builders at that time. The nice open-spoke wheels also tend to set the wagons in an earlier period. Undecorated would be ideal for those who wish to add the POWsides transfers for their own locality.

Glad to read confirmation that the heavily weathered grain is to be toned down. Are the wheelsets readily swapped out for S7 ones?

• RMweb Premium

With more subtle woodgrain these will make very nice models; maybe release a few in some of the 'prettier' PO liveries and they might well appeal to the collector/stick 'em in a display cabinet market as well. Nice one Dapol.

Archived