New Industrial 0-6-0t

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Gold

This loco, especially its scope for alteration to something more becoming, was discussed a few months back on here.

I have bought several Electrotren products in recent months - though not this one - and they are just as fine as other Chinese items at premium prices.

I can't help but feel that Hornby have completely misread the pleas of modellers for proper industrials.

Whilst it is a complicated area when we asked for something other than the ubiquitous austerities we meant a new accurate loco. Not something foreign in a silly livery for £50.

I think this is an "Ontracks" commission, just happens to be produced by Hornby. I wouldn't hold it against Hornby - anyway as others have pointed out the chassis might make a good basis for a more representitive generic industrial.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this model immensely. I have plans for modifying three of these to narrow gauge Manning Wardles. Il-Vapur Tal-Art F'Malta. :)

One long term mini-project that will finally get off the ground!

Do you mean 7mm narrow gauge? I can't see how you'd reuse the chassis otherwise and the body looks to be of trainset quality really. Couldn't yet get them a lot cheaper in whatever form they sell elsewhere on eBay a lot cheaper?

Hopefully Ixion do their industrials in 4mm eventually as well as 7mm or maybe Dapol can buy their research in the future to do so?

Do you mean 7mm narrow gauge? I can't see how you'd reuse the chassis otherwise and the body looks to be of trainset quality really. Couldn't yet get them a lot cheaper in whatever form they sell elsewhere on eBay a lot cheaper?

Hopefully Ixion do their industrials in 4mm eventually as well as 7mm or maybe Dapol can buy their research in the future to do so?

Basic gist is: i'm not using the bodies - am making my own to replace them. I'm using the chassis as a close enough match, to somewhere between 0-16.5 and On30 scale for a "close enough" representation of the locomotive in question.

I haven't seen any on ebay as yet - I'll keep an eye out, it would certainly be better to get them cheaper! :)

• RMweb Gold

Basic gist is: i'm not using the bodies - am making my own to replace them. I'm using the chassis as a close enough match, to somewhere between 0-16.5 and On30 scale for a "close enough" representation of the locomotive in question.

I haven't seen any on ebay as yet - I'll keep an eye out, it would certainly be better to get them cheaper! :)

http://www.passionnementrain.fr/locomotive-a-vapeur-tender-type-030-epoque-iii-de-la-sncf-refrence-hj2175-jouef,fr,4,HJ2175.cfm

Call it £40. Jouef, not Electrotren, but looks to be the same model. Not sure if this guy posts to the UK, but suspect so. Has been reliable when I've purchased online.

I'd be really interested to see if anyone could come up with any evidence anything acceptably close to that has ever existed.

The model was shown in an NCB West Ayre Area livery and the leaflet which states it's a Barclay specifically neglects to mention that its HO rather than OO. I did also think that the chassis may be useful though.

Having seen the announcement I would have hoped for something more than Dave Franks and DavidM have correctly observed above.

The NCB West Ayr area livery, and the 'Barclay' reference is presumably a nod towards this-

http://www.srpsmuseum.org.uk/90003.htm

though that Spanish/French 0-6-0T certainly bears little resemblance to the Barclay in the pic...

As someone who could definitely find a home for an authentic industrial, other than the ubiquitous Austerity tank, I must admit to being slighlty less excited than I was when I read the thread title!

Might be interesting to see how the chassis dimensions match up with any UK outside-cylinder 0-6-0 tanks as a base for a scratchbuild perhaps?

In danger of getting my tin hat blown off, but looking at the link you provided, you can understand to some extent why Ontracks picked that particular model. It's not a million miles away from the outline of the actual Ayr 0-6-0T you linked us too.

Hell, new cab, buffers, Giesel ejector, it's halfway there...! If you remove the dome, change the cab's height and spectacle shape, then add a bunker, you get a closer approximation.

You'll never get a spot on recreation of the actual industrial starting with this model as a base, assuredly, but I think a half decent representation could be made out of cutting and shutting the bodyshell, and adding whitemetal components.

Yes, I see where you're coming from about the approximate outline. Looking at the 'Kerr Stuart' thread that oldudders linked a few posts back, it looks as if it can be made to scrub up quite nicely with a bit of work, so maybe some potential to Anglicise it (if that's the appropriate word for a Scottish loco!) into a freelance industrial?

Yes, I see what you mean as to choosing an "inspired by" livery. Rather like painting some european centre-cab diesel green and calling it a Clayton, it's vaguely similar shape, what with the tapering tank and six wheels.

But it's still a country mile off ever being a Barclay.

Hell, new cab, buffers, Giesel ejector, it's halfway there...! If you remove the dome, change the cab's height and spectacle shape, then add a bunker, you get a closer approximation.

You'll never get a spot on recreation of the actual industrial starting with this model as a base, assuredly, but I think a half decent representation could be made out of cutting and shutting the bodyshell, and adding whitemetal components.

You'd have to remove what I think is a sand box from the top of the boiler too and fit all of the detail you'd expect outside of a trainset but you'd end up with something that is still H0 and will look a bit small compared to the minerals its pushing around.

..................... you'd end up with something that is still H0 and will look a bit small compared to the minerals its pushing around.

So were a lot of other industrials Craig. The L&Y pugs, and presumably many more from the private builders, could be loaded on a well wagon without fouling the loading gauge. On the Hayling Island branch if you looked out of the carriage window, your head was at the level of the Terrier's cab roof . I am given to understand that the model in dicussion on this thread does have 'continental' toy train flanges though which rather takes the edge off the cheap price if you use fine® scale points.

SAC Martin its a damn sight closer to the prototype then the Percy in GWR colours that Bachmann trotted out a couple of years ago and with alot of modification it could be made to look like one of those barclays.

I take back what I said earlier about Hornby misjudging as this is a special edition for a shop and its there imperative and their money they are spending on the project as a result it is highly unlikely they can splash out enough to make a whole new model.

Last time round I tried to find out something about Kerr Stuart on the continent too see if it would lead to anything similar in use in the UK but to no avail!

SAC Martin its a damn sight closer to the prototype then the Percy in GWR colours that Bachmann trotted out a couple of years ago and with alot of modification it could be made to look like one of those barclays.

I know, I said that. :huh:

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this anyway. Just awaiting a response to an email query, hopefully a few of these will be winging their way to me soon. Thanks Ian (Olddudders) for the heads up :sungum:

So were a lot of other industrials Craig. The L&Y pugs, and presumably many more from the private builders, could be loaded on a well wagon without fouling the loading gauge. On the Hayling Island branch if you looked out of the carriage window, your head was at the level of the Terrier's cab roof . I am given to understand that the model in dicussion on this thread does have 'continental' toy train flanges though which rather takes the edge off the cheap price if you use fine® scale points.

Yes I realise some were such as the Peckett I need for my layout but the industrial here is meant to be similar to what is quite a large Barclay. If they'd chosen something looking like an 0-4-0 Peckett for example they might have been alright as the prototype was essentially available small,medium,large and x-large!

The flanges do stand out a bit on the photo.

This was a huge let down for me once I got to the Ontracks stand at Warley - I had (perhaps foolishly) hoped/expected for a "proper" industrial locomotive as with Model Rail's commissioned Sentinel so was less than chuffed when I saw the images and realised it was a reliveried HO continental loco.

Oh well, there must eventually be a release of a proper industrial loco, maybe in 2012 ... ???

I am given to understand that the model in dicussion on this thread does have 'continental' toy train flanges though which rather takes the edge off the cheap price if you use fine® scale points.

Sorry if the fine® scale bit has caused any confusion. It should have read 'finer' with the 'r' in brackets. I used to think computers did what you told them to do, not what you wanted them to do. Why can't the b***** things behave themselves.

Archived