Flying Pig

. It performs better than its A1 stablemates (WHY ?)

Ian

Have you checked your A1 to make sure that the rear of the engine is not resting on the tender. By coincidence I covered this very problem in one of my recent Blogs - you can read it here

There is also an interesting old video with Aberdonian

Regards

Ray

I am told that more recent A1s are better sorted, but those I bought from the first releases needed the carrying wheel springing cutting down very significantly, the fall plate removed, and the tender drawbar carefully cranked to avoid the tender supporting the back of the loco. With an extra 250g of weight installed and the leading coupled axle spring replaced with something stronger they now pull like blazes - much better. (The only A2 I have was good from the box, and 200 g of weight added makes it fully up to the job.)

• RMweb Gold

Ian

Have you checked your A1 to make sure that the rear of the engine is not resting on the tender. By coincidence I covered this very problem in one of my recent Blogs - you can read it here

There is also an interesting old video with Aberdonian

Regards

Thanks for that,Ray,I'll check in the morning---Ian.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Final update before weathering 60800.... I think this is about as far as one can physically take a Bachmann V2 without resorting to surgery, be it major or minor. I still need to source a suitable smokebox door dart, so that's why it isn't on the model at present. The same goes for cab forward glazing as I'm yet to cut suitable sized pieces of glazing material.

post-6712-0-84470700-1352820245_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-57576700-1352820261_thumb.jpg

Final little details (as shown above and in the close-up below) have been the firebox support brackets, ashpan lever and front steps. All come from the Brassmaster Hornby A3 detail etch, which also yields the replacement reversing reach rod.

post-6712-0-69927700-1352820278_thumb.jpg

So there we are, proof that one can "polish a turd" :). Total number of hours? A couple of solid evenings should be enough to do what I've done. Weathering would be extra time, naturally.

• RMweb Premium

Final update before weathering 60800.... I think this is about as far as one can physically take a Bachmann V2 without resorting to surgery, be it major or minor. I still need to source a suitable smokebox door dart, so that's why it isn't on the model at present. The same goes for cab forward glazing as I'm yet to cut suitable sized pieces of glazing material.

post-6712-0-84470700-1352820245_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-57576700-1352820261_thumb.jpg

Final little details (as shown above and in the close-up below) have been the firebox support brackets, ashpan lever and front steps. All come from the Brassmaster Hornby A3 detail etch, which also yields the replacement reversing reach rod.

post-6712-0-69927700-1352820278_thumb.jpg

So there we are, proof that one can "polish a turd" :). Total number of hours? A couple of solid evenings should be enough to do what I've done. Weathering would be extra time, naturally.

Well Tim, I don't see how you can do more. The boiler is what it is, and short of major surgery can't be cured, so I agree that this is as far as the model can be taken. Excellent job as always, and the weathering will just finish it off. I'm almost tempted to go to the NEC just to get my hands on it earlier. "Almost", I said.

Well Tim, I don't see how you can do more. The boiler is what it is, and short of major surgery can't be cured, so I agree that this is as far as the model can be taken. Excellent job as always, and the weathering will just finish it off. I'm almost tempted to go to the NEC just to get my hands on it earlier. "Almost", I said.

You don't fancy the rugby scrum then Gilbert - I've heard there's almost 80 layouts on show. And B17's may be available...

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Mine appears to part of the bodyshell so will have to be cut . Looking at simons thread no idea how he persuaded a Hornby dome to go over the top of the original mine has benn cut down to nothing to get the Hornby to fit !!

thanks for link

• 4 weeks later...

My LNER  V2 upgraded as far as I could go without chopping the body to bits. This is horrible body as said so many times before.

Body rubbed down to remove hideous top seam . Re painted, etched Name and Works plates New numbers and Lettering as Bachmann use a wierd pale yellow/gold colour and Loco relined and additional lining added to Cab windows using HMRS decals. Front of tender painted Black.

Wills Chimney
Brassmasters etched Reversing and Ash pan levers. Floor supports and front steps.
Hornby A3 provided Dome, Smokebox Door,Oil box, Superheater Covers , Vacumn return pipe, snifting valve, front buffers, screw coupling and vacumn pipes.
Hornby A4 safety valves
Re glazed , new sandbox fillers, etched cabside sight screens,new front footplate handles and lamp Irons repositioned front frames thinned. Wiring added to smokebox sides and support bracket. Front coupling NEM  pocket filled in.

Real coal ,etched fire irons and lostwax brake standards to tender.

Looks a bit better icon_biggrin.gif

post-7186-0-76250500-1379181683.jpg

post-7186-0-10997400-1379181689.jpg

post-7186-0-82479400-1379181731.jpg

post-7186-0-61733200-1379181701.jpg

post-7186-0-25950400-1379181710.jpg

post-7186-0-72776200-1379181719.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It has been a long time since anyone has posted here, but I wonder if anyone has noted that the rear body screws that go through the cartazzi to the retainers beneath the cab are perhaps a little short? I can't get mine to screw into the retainers, and wonder if anyone else has had the same problem. I have eliminated the possibility of something fouling the fitting of the body shell at least. The model in question is a DCC chassis Durham School

...I wonder if anyone has noted that the rear body screws that go through the cartazzi to the retainers beneath the cab are perhaps a little short? I can't get mine to screw into the retainers, and wonder if anyone else has had the same problem. I have eliminated the possibility of something fouling the fitting of the body shell at least...

Had this same thing when it came to decoder fitting. Problem was a flake of black plastic lodged in one of the chassis block recesses that takes the screw boss under the cab. Can only imagine it was trapped in the recess when the body was removed, and on replacement was pushed flat over the end of the recess, and just blocked off access to the boss. From outside the chassis was 'home' in the body.

Tim

I would like to congratulate you on the improvement's you have made to your Bachmann V2. I recall purchasing one of these not long after they were released, even invested in a Comet replacement chassis and Romford wheels. However, each time I got it out of the box to determine what could and could not be done with it I always ended up putting it to one side and eventually give up on it altogether. 

Despite Bachmann replacing the chassis the body does not match in any way the quality or accuracy of recent products. Considering the Bachmann 37 and Class 40 have been subject to back to the drawing board redesigns I find it pretty surprising that the V2 an iconic prototype has not had the same deserving treatment.  Perhaps Hornby will do the honours

Regards

Bob

Despite Bachmann replacing the chassis the body does not match in any way the quality or accuracy of recent products. Considering the Bachmann 37 and Class 40 have been subject to back to the drawing board redesigns I find it pretty surprising that the V2 an iconic prototype has not had the same deserving treatment.  Perhaps Hornby will do the honours

Regards

Bob

Despite?

More like because.

Bachmann have clearly stated that they will gradually update the locos with the old chassis.

They see a mileage in them and obviously a profit.

This will lead them to have a cash flow system in place to allow the safe introduction of new models.

Makes sense to me.

Bernard

That theory only applies if anyone is buying full price V2's. I wonder how many are being sold ? they have only done I think three versions since the new chassis, still seem to be plenty about , as are their prehistoric A4 body with a new chassis.

Next up V1/V3 which is a even worse body than the above two.

No logic to me , large outlay on new chassis's then give up halfway through the much needed update process. Then refuse to sell the new chassis as a spare.

I doubt if Bachmann have as many financial worries as Hornby.

That theory only applies if anyone is buying full price V2's. I wonder how many are being sold ? they have only done I think three versions since the new chassis, still seem to be plenty about , as are their prehistoric A4 body with a new chassis.

Next up V1/V3 which is a even worse body than the above two.

No logic to me , large outlay on new chassis's then give up halfway through the much needed update process. Then refuse to sell the new chassis as a spare.

I doubt if Bachmann have as many financial worries as Hornby.

Fully agree with the majority of the points you make. The A4 dates back to the Trix model from 1967 or was it 1968 and the V3 bares a passing resemblance to the prototype. Can you imagine the feedback if such poor models were introduced nowadays. I don't think I would write off Hornby just yet. If it were not for them those that model the LNER would be a lot worse off and the majority are pretty accurate models of the prototype.

The Bachmann J 11 and Director presumably being the exceptions that proves the rule ?

Not to mention the Robinson O4, the Peppercorn A2 ...

Those are three all new toolings, and one composite of common parts from the A1 with unique components for the A2 substituted. As Bernard Lamb suggests, I believe they are managing very carefully: just enough updating - the chassis -  to keep older models saleable, while investing in all new tooling of  novel subjects which can be expected to generate better returns. The A2 is the A1 revised to make a new model subject, but note that it didn't get the refinements of the more recent releases above: no tender decoder socket and wired link, no neat hinged fall plate, no tender pick ups. It follows exactly the A1 scheme, using as many common parts as possible for the lowest cost path to a new model. That says very careful cost containment management to me.

Archived