Flying Pig

• RMweb Premium

As far as I can find, there haven't been any pictures posted of the revised Bachmann V2, so here are my rather poor photos of it the cabinet at the Warley show the other week. Apart from the new chassis and the obvious applied detail, does anyone know the extent of the changes?

post-6813-0-36509500-1322764733_thumb.jpg

post-6813-0-12996400-1322764735_thumb.jpg

Do want. The boiler shape has never grated with me too much, but the chassis was pot luck in terms of running quality and obviously it wasn't much use for DCC. Like the B1 I require quite a few of these, hopefully they'll also do one with the stepped tender.

Edit - just noticed that the proto does actually HAVE a stepped tender!

As far as I know there is no other difference apart from the new chassis. Either way I am looking forward to these one coming out - I have 2 on order and my Dad has the third one reserved.

From the engineering shots there are a few tweaks - i.e. chimney, oil pots, buffers etc.

Guest Max Stafford

New body would be nice, but it's a compromise I can tolerate for now with the V2 being the cornerstone Waverley type. I do have a body which will receive a bit of cross-hybridisation with a Hornby A3 boiler as per horsetan's conversion.

In the meantime, these are awaited with much anticipation.

Dave.

It actually doesn't look that bad. But this more than the B1 desparately needs a new body tooling..

It would arguably have been better for Hornby to 'duplicate' this rather than the B1, I've always thought it would fit into their ECML stable quite well.

I'm with you Ian. The V2 was such a common sight in the southern area of the ECML. Just wish I could still see them running through Wood Green (Alexandra Palace) with a long batch of vans once again. It's long overdue for updating to the current standard.

• RMweb Premium

From the engineering shots there are a few tweaks - i.e. chimney, oil pots, buffers etc.

Thanks, that was my impression too, but I've never seen the old model unpainted so I couldn't swear to it.

I'm with Pennine too on this one and can't understand why such a numerous and iconic type doesn't appear in more wishlists. As has been pointed out on the Bachmann B1 thread, that body was good enough for Dave Bradwell to produce a chassis for it. He never bothered with the V2.

• 2 months later...

The new chassis V2s had a release date of Dec/Jan. I now see on the Bachmann website this has been moved to June/July. I wonder it's issues with the chassis.

I think it's probably time for a quick email to the Navy Blue Team. There seems to be a fair amount of unknowns about this very highly anticipated re-release, and if we're to be spared the financial pain of imminent shipping, then it's worth knowing what latent pleasure lies further down the line.

Dare we hope that the delay precipitates the production of a brand new body?

Dave.

Wishful thinking. If they are happy to trot out the A4 then I can't see why it would be an issue to continue with a lightly reheated V2. Not that the shape of the V2 offends me paticularly, just that having sold all my non DCC heaps I'd quite like the new one to turn up sooner rather than later.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Max Stafford

While the boiler issue is a niggle, the overwhelming need for this type on a Waverley Route model is sufficient to have me overlooking it out of necessity.

Given the kind of treatment I dish out in the shed, any that reach Ruberslaw will very much look the part!

Dave.

While the boiler issue is a niggle....

It's more than just a niggle. But for those afraid of wielding a piercing saw, it will also be a form of hell to graft in a shortened Hornby A3 boiler barrel, as well as correct some of the other flaws.

Guest Max Stafford

Against my better judgement, I have a Hornby A3 body, Bachmann V2 body, Comet chassis and piercing saw all standing by for such an eventuality.

Don't worry Horse, I'm up for it in spite of my previous comment but whether my nerves can survive a production line of the things is a matter for protracted debate...! :O

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

Much as I like the Gresley tank, I hope they at least make the cab area look finished - it's always had a 'half cooked' look to my eye!

Dave

Roll it out. Each to their own but the tooling doesn't offend me too much and if the chassis is as good as the B1 I'll be happy.

V1/V3 next please, I need lots of those.

Archived