Minimum Space O Gauge layout

Warspite

I started building my first 'proper' O gauge layout about 6 months ago, based on a ‘freelance’ BR(WR) freight only line set in the period 1963 to 1971. I say 'proper' because I have been dabbling in O gauge for about 15 years - my first kit was a Peco 16 ton mineral wagon and I've built a few Slaters, Parkside Dundas and JLTRT wagons in the last few years.

My time period has been determined as much by my limited kit-building skills as anything else. I can manage to build (and enjoy building) Slaters, Parkside and JLTRT wagons but etched brass kits based on more modern prototypes are beyond me. However, short wheelbase wagons do fit in with the limited space I have available – 9’ 4" x 1’ 9". A Heljan Hymek was my first, and until recently, my only O Gauge locomotive.

The catalyst to progressing to a working layout was the release of the Lionheart 74xx pannier tank and the excellent reviews whetted my appetite. After telephoning Richard Webster at Lionheart and arranging a visit, my long-suffering wife came along ("a nice trip out" I think I said) and ended up not only allowing me to get the DCC sound-fitted version in BR black but also persuaded me to get a couple of Richard’s delightful 16 ton mineral wagons! Her version of events, though, is slightly different to mine ......

Although all the track is laid (Peco bullhead), I’ve taken the approach of making the scenery in sections, if only to give me some encouragement to move to the next section! Rather than show a track plan (and my poor drawing skills), I’ve included a composite overhead photo and this shows the left hand board with scenery. The white 'smudge' is the cement siding although I've now toned that down a bit.

post-1610-0-93356100-1323368506_thumb.jpg

I’m still not decided about that right hand turnout and may replace it with a pivoted sector plate and replace the siding in the right foreground (the one with the yard crane slightly chopped in the overhead photo!) with one towards the back. I had intended to put a skew bridge between the backscene and the end of the right hand siding to hide the small fiddle yard but may put a warehouse/loading bay in (as shown with the drawn lines). The right hand ‘kickback’ siding was intended to make shunting a bit more interesting. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't got a name for the layout yet but need to make a decision on location first.

This photo of the left hand board shows the culvert, coal siding in the foreground and cement unloading at the back. Still a lot more detail to put in though although I will move onto the other boards first.

post-1610-0-38832700-1323368568_thumb.jpg

The coal siding with one of the superb Lionheart 16 ton mineral wagons.

post-1610-0-69503000-1323368977_thumb.jpg

Very nice layout! Looking forward to seeing more of it. I am also planning a smallish O gauge layout, albeit one with an urban flavour to it. Lionhart´s Pannier tank loco is high up on my "Me wants" list for this layout.

Thanks. I took the plunge a few days ago and started to weather my 74xx. I've tried to create the impression of a well-worked pannier towards the end of steam.

post-1610-0-81830200-1323377308_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. I took the plunge a few days ago and started to weather my 74xx. I've tried to create the impression of a well-worked pannier towards the end of steam.

post-1610-0-81830200-1323377308_thumb.jpg

Oh very nice - what have you done to get that effect on those tank sides?

7404 a regular Fairford Branch loco in the early 1960s.

Oh very nice - what have you done to get that effect on those tank sides?

7404 a regular Fairford Branch loco in the early 1960s.

Thanks Tim.

I used a base layer of Noch Patina-Creme (I know, sounds like something you put in your coffee!), and then Carr's weathering powders, mixing black, grey and rust until I thought it looked right.

It was actually the photo of 7404 on Martin Loader's wonderful Fairford Branch website that gave me the inspiration to weather my 74xx like this, although I didn't set out to do an exact copy.

Another photo of 7404 .... Just realised those buffer beams are far too bright!

post-1610-0-93014500-1323447639_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tim.

I used a base layer of Noch Patina-Creme (I know, sounds like something you put in your coffee!), and then Carr's weathering powders, mixing black, grey and rust until I thought it looked right.

It was actually the photo of 7404 on Martin Loader's wonderful Fairford Branch website that gave me the inspiration to weather my 74xx like this, although I didn't set out to do an exact copy.

Another photo of 7404 .... Just realised those buffer beams are far too bright!

post-1610-0-93014500-1323447639_thumb.jpg

Thanks! - I'm not familiar with the Noch weathering products (though I've just had a look at their website) - I'll keep an eye open for some. Looks the biz. Well done.

Smashing! How do the Peco minerals compare to the Lionheart ones?

Ed

Ed - Personally, I think the're both excellent. I got the riveted Lionheart minerals to add a bit of variety and the body with the very thin top edge is superb. However, I still love my original Peco mineral, although I probably went a bit OTT with the weathering. I used the Martyn Welch technique of painting over Maskol and then peeling it away to represent rust, although he does it much better than I ever could. His work is such an inspiration to me.

post-1610-0-00275500-1323448986_thumb.jpg

I used the Martyn Welch technique of painting over Maskol and then peeling it away to represent rust, although he does it much better than I ever could. ...

Ooh, I dunno - your's looks very good to me!! Your scenic work is impressive too! I'm enjoying watching this thread. ;)

I've now started to add scenery to the second board by adding the gravel road at the front of the layout.

I use a base of modelling clay which I flatten out using my patent rolling pin!

post-1610-0-98208900-1323959995_thumb.jpg

I then paint the base using a dark grey acrylic paint and cover this (when still wet) with light gray fine ballast.

post-1610-0-82013200-1323960130_thumb.jpg

Finally, I 'weather' the road by lightly spraying very diluted acrylic paint (mixture of grey and brown) in patches.

post-1610-0-48108900-1323960248_thumb.jpg

I've used a slightly dark grey stone in the other board but I think it made the layout look it bit dark. Need to change one or the other!

Need to ballast the track next, add the infill of scrub between the road and the track and then make the scenery at the edge of the baseboard.

• 3 weeks later...

I've now extended the scenery to the middle board and put in a crossing linking the two roads.

post-1610-0-85794900-1325715753_thumb.jpg

I wanted to create some variation in viewing levels, so the path links the two main viewing areas at a lower level than the tracks.

post-1610-0-13275500-1325715815_thumb.jpg

I'll finish the crossing next and then start on the low-relief buildings at the back of the layout. Still no name for the layout yet though!

Stephen

What fantastic weathering and detail! That wagon looks wonderfully abused. There's a great deal of potential to be had and scope for plenty more of your great scenery work for the rest of the layout - I look forward to seeing how you get on with it! Seeing such enthusiasm for smaller layouts in larger scales has begun to tempt me, but unfortunately cost and location dictate otherwise.

I'll be living vicariously through your thread then! :)

The modelling clay looks a useful idea. What form do you obtain it in?

Don

Don

I actually use Newplast from Newclay Products which they describe as a 'modelling material'. (I still call it plasticene but I guess that is a brand name?) I find it very pliable, easy to paint and can be reshaped easily if I change my mind or make a mistake!

Stephen

This is a great little project, your weathering and scenic work is superb.

Will watch with interest.

What fantastic weathering and detail! That wagon looks wonderfully abused. There's a great deal of potential to be had and scope for plenty more of your great scenery work for the rest of the layout - I look forward to seeing how you get on with it! Seeing such enthusiasm for smaller layouts in larger scales has begun to tempt me, but unfortunately cost and location dictate otherwise.

I'll be living vicariously through your thread then! :)

Thanks guys. I really appreciate these comments as it encourages me to press on and make progress!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived