Bachmann N gauge Buses ( Scenecraft )

That could prove expensive if they release a Routemaster...

Not in the current Bachmann plans, but Oxford Diecast already do an N Gauge RM of at least equal quality to what I have seen of the Bachmann ones...

Interesting how they look very much like larger EFE items - even down to how EFE approached the doors on the National...

Well with the exception of the Park Royal Bodied Atlantean (done by BritBus in 4mm) the first releases are all types done in 4mm by EFE, but the two I've had in my hands (the VR and the Lodekka) are somewhat cruder... Look at the upper deck window pillars on those two for example, and in the case of the Lodekka it's not designed in the way the EFE is to allow for multiple variations...

It is being suggested elsewhere that these (particularly the National and the VR) are closer to 1:160 scale than 1:148. (i.e. Continental rather than British N scale). Can anyone with one to hand please measure and post the width and length please...

It is being suggested elsewhere that these (particularly the National and the VR) are closer to 1:160 scale than 1:148. (i.e. Continental rather than British N scale). Can anyone with one to hand please measure and post the width and length please...

i have not seen the 1/160 suggestion which might be right for some, but not for others. My rough measurements are:-

Bristol VRT 59.5mm long, 16.0mm wide, 26.0mm high

Bristol FLF 57.5mm long, 15.4mm wide, 25.4mm high

Bristol RELH 68.5mm long, 15.6mm wide, 19.0mm high

National 71.5mm long, 15.7mm wide, 18.9mm over main roof not pod.

Looks like the differences are less than the true track gauge difference between British and Continental N. I have not measured the diameter or concentricity of the headlights or of the interior bulkhead lamps. The spacing may be out on these. The glazing is convincing to the naked eye.

I am impressed by what Bachmann have delivered. They have a realistic paint finish, they dismantle easily if you want to relivery, and they will be a vast improvement on many of the white metal kit buses adorning our layouts.

By the way, rivet counters should not look at the National - it will disappoint.

Mike

The long Leyland National in Mk.1 form was 11.3m long and 2.5m wide (the short version had a long window opposite the optional centre exit, so it's quite easy to spot the mix of window widths). In 1:148 that is 76.4mm long by 16.9mm; 1:152 74.3mm x 16.4mm; 1:160 70.6mm x 15.6mm (rounded to nearest 0.1mm). The N Gauge track width difference (1:148 as against 1:160) is about 0.7mm, the National is 1.2mm too narrow (for British N). However, they clearly vary as the VRT would be an 8ft wide design, so should be 16.5mm width. Given their introduction dates, I think the same probably applies to the width of the FLF and RELH. A bit more prototype research is needed to settle what scales they are.

My rough measurements are:-

Bristol VRT 59.5mm long, 16.0mm wide, 26.0mm high

Bristol FLF 57.5mm long, 15.4mm wide, 25.4mm high

Bristol RELH 68.5mm long, 15.6mm wide, 19.0mm high

National 71.5mm long, 15.7mm wide, 18.9mm over main roof not pod.

The long Leyland National in Mk.1 form was 11.3m long and 2.5m wide (the short version had a long window opposite the optional centre exit, so it's quite easy to spot the mix of window widths). In 1:148 that is 76.4mm long by 16.9mm; 1:152 74.3mm x 16.4mm; 1:160 70.6mm x 15.6mm (rounded to nearest 0.1mm).
A VR with a BET style curved windscreen ECW body is 30ft 9in long by 8ft 2.5in wide. The 'standard' low height version is 13ft 8in high.

Thanks all.

Taking the VR, giz's prototype dimemsions match my info for a low-height ECW body (14ft 6in for a high-bridge version) so:

at 1:148 it should be L 63.3mm : W 16.9mm : H 28.3mm

at 1:152 it should be L 61.6mm : W 16.4mm : H 27.5mm

at 1:160 it should be L 58.5mm : W 15.6mm : H 26.2mm

Therfore from Mike's measurements that one is circa 1:157 in Width and Length and 1:160 in height... :scratchhead:

Bernard is correct in his dimensions for a long Mk 1 National, and I'll add 3.05m height w/o Pod so:

at 1:148 it should be L 76.4mm : W 16.9mm : H 20.6mm

at 1:152 it should be L 74.3mm : W 16.4mm : H 20.1mm

at 1:160 it should be L 70.6mm : W 15.6mm : H 19.1mm

Therfore that one is circa 1:158 in Width and Length and 1:160 in height... :scratchhead:

So both of those are definitely underscale for British N Gauge... :nono:

B*****r

Paul

So both of those are definitely underscale for British N Gauge... :nono:

B*****r

Yep, you've only got to look at the doors on the VRT; they're a scale 5'3" tall in 1:148 :O

And the Harrington Cavalier is underscale.

Here's a pic of the VRT parked up against a 1:150 scale Daimler Fleetline (both backed up against a straight flat edge);

dsc2741.jpg

It looks even smaller than 1:160 scale.

G.

The VRT should be a bit lower than normal buses as it has ECW "lowbridge" bodywork - same with the Lodekkas (hence the name).
True, but see the maths class above: it is still 2.3mm (i.e. over 1 scale foot) lower than it should be for British N scale...

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to the posters who measured and calculated. This is a surprising error and I have to wonder how much of a hand Farish had in designing these models as it isn't like them. Perhaps some other portion of the Bachmann empire that hasn't heard of Englandland was subbed to do the job.

• 3 weeks later...

I received my Bristol VRT and RELH yesterday and was stunned at how small they seemed compared to my Japanese Tomytec buses which are 1:150. I've never been good at maths so I pulled out my PECO British N Scale rule. Wikipedia says the VRT was typically between 13'8" to 14'6" height. The scale rule says the Farish VRT is just a hair over 13' tall.

As for the RELH, again, Wikipedia says the prototype is 36' long. The scale rule says the model is 33' long.

So...both buses are WAY underscale for British N gauge and a far as I'm concerned, really quite unsuitable for use on a 1:148 layout. What a wasted effort (not to mention a waste of my money). This seems like a complete screw-up by Bachmann on this.

Matt

You can see from the posts above (#15 in particular) that these buses are approx. 1:160 scale rather than 1:148, Matt. Yes, a great shame since the range covered would have complimented rather than duplicated what is available elsewhere. As it is, they'll leave big gaps.

Archived