MRJ 213 - just arrived

John_Hughes

Mine arrived about half an hour ago. I was equally amazed.

It looks good. Barry Norman is guest editor. I'd recommend Iain Rice's article on the latest incarnation of Trerice for his delightful and distinctive style of writing and Peter Swift's piece on doing up the Hornby Maunsell coaches. There is other fine material too but most of what I was going to post has chosen to disappear into cyberspace so I'm off for a cup of tea and a sulk!

Chris

• RMweb Gold

It is indeed a cracker IMHO. Interest for me in just about every article.

Editor: Barry Norman.

The new version of Iain Rice's 'Trerice'...some nice snaps and in colour too.

Scale 7 Bulleid W/C . A lovely model.

Part 2 of North Devon barges by Gordon Gravett

Rusting mineral wagons in 7mm. A new technique (to me) of using salt. The end result moves weathering to another level. It will be interesting to try it in 4mm.

An addition to Wanhurst. Another fine building added to an already scenically brilliant layout. Super pics.

Balancing re-wheeled 4-4-0s (Hornby T9). Philip Hall.

North Cornwall Line. Barry Norman.

Improving Hornby Maunsells. Some lovely work.

For me. the best in a long time.

To my astonishment MRJ 213 has just turned up.

Not had much time to look at it, but it seems to be a cracker: Trerice, SR Maunsell coaches, rebalancing the Hornby T9, rust clinic, Salisbury in S7 and a lot more.

Gorgeous modelling!

A red letter day indeed! As a subscriber from Issue 0, I can say that this is the first to have arrived within 24 hours of it's intended publication date. The content looks to be top class too.

Guest stuartp

I know 'I can't find it in Smiths...' posts are frowned upon, but I did find it in Smiths in York this lunchtime. Subscriber copies and general issue ones both out on the same day and on time ? Outrageous ! Who are you, and what have you done with Wild Swan ?

• RMweb Gold

OK I think that's enough "it's in Smiths" posts now (and we don't want any "it's not in Smiths" please) :nono:

I would have to agree that in any other thread this type of post is indeed tedious but I do think that an exception should be made for MRJ arriving on time.

playfully, Jerry

Guest Belgian

It was a railway modeller

When MRJ arrived on time

It nearly had a todeller ...

Actually, I was quite impressed with the latest issue of the Todeller this month. It seems to have left its Freezer past well behind it. I'm off to the unmentionable shop to get MRJ now . . .

I would have thought that an electronic version of the MRJ should be provided on half-inch reel to reel tape, in the best retro 1950s tradition.

Be better to keep in on paper.......the early punched paper tape that computers used. Don't want to go hitech with all this electronic trickery do they?

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Be better to keep in on paper.......the early punched paper tape that computers used. Don't want to go hitech with all this electronic trickery do they?

Stewart

......and all the resulting paper chads can be used for modelling brickwork ^_^

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Is this the best issue ever? Well I know it wont be for everyone but if you have the slightest interest in modelling railways south of the Thames in the days of steam (even if it's just because you passed through Waterloo on a wet Thursday afternoon in 1966*) then I urge you to go and buy - you wont be disappointed...

... oh and I might be biased as I come from the city of Salisbury but 34002 on the cover is just an image of gorgeousness :angel:

*I was born in 1968 so I unfortunately I didn't get the chance :scratchhead:

Apart from being out on time what I found interesting was reading Barry Norman's aricle on the North Cornwall Line and implying that if he were to do Petherick now he would do it in 00 all be it with handbuilt track.

Quote: When I look round, I don't see much kit building in 4mm scale: the RTR manufactureres have changed the nature of finescale modelling, and I welcome this. ----------------------------------------------------- But i think the desire to compensate rolling stock or build a sprung chassis in EM or P4 will wane----------------------------------------------------------- Acheiving this level of performance is challenging. I have spent a life time trying, but now I don't have a lifetime left.

It was a railway modeller

When MRJ arrived on time

It nearly had a todeller ...

His scratchbuilt Riddles two-ten-oh

Had pulled out all the stops

But his wool got caught up in his lathe

And then made mutton chops.

Another very good issue all round - potentially one of the rare ones that becomes a classic? You can't beat a bit of Ricey, and those two shots of Gordon's barge..wow. Looking back at the musical editor's chair, Barry's are the issues which I've consistently enjoyed the most, so if the music was to stop while he held the present I'd be very pleased.

Archived