BR MK1 Coaches - Keith Parkin's book.

They look like the General Arrangement ones from the Board's Diagram Book as well as being from Parkin. I harvested a set of these from one of the BREL offices shortly before the reaper came knocking.

They are a generally good guide, but beware of some basic discrepancies. Also, in my experience, they are not necessarily true to scale, but do convey layouts pretty well (they are GAs after all). There are others on here in a better position and with more thorough knowledge to clarify, Bob 65B for one?

EDIT: PS - I guess I'm glad I grabbed my Parkin when I did at the published jacket price! :O

Edited by 'CHARD

As Chard says' those drawings come from the original diagram books. For carriages at least, they're fairly accurate and the very same diagrams were used by Parkin - though his book contains all of them. Great for guides but not for accurately buillding rolling stock from.

If there's any specific carriage you're after, I may well have already done the drawings for them - rather more accurately than the diagrams present!

Tanya Jackson (the HMRS Transfer development manager and British Rail carriage steward) said only last week that there were still 30 copies left in stock of the 2006 HMRS/Pendragon publication (and it's supplement).

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

G’Day All,

I’ve been looking at purchasing a copy of this book +/- supplement, however I’m little lost when it comes to the correct version/latest version. 

-1991 - advertised at revised 

-1999 reprint (presumable of the 1991 edition) 

-2006 edition - updated, (but not appendices?)

-supplement 

would someone be able to help with which copy/copies I should be looking to purchase? I have browsed a few threads on here and they seem to suggest the 1991 + supplement? 

Thanks in advance 

cheers 

James 

1991 hardback plus supplement will probably cover most of the ground. I don't know what the 2006 edition was unless it was the supplement. The original 1982 book has some different photos, that are not in later editions. I see copies on secondhand book stalls at exhibitions quite often. Much more information has come to light since the book was written.

56 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

The supplement is still available from HMRS, £4 + p&p

Jonathan

Yep. I got one early last year from HMRS with a lovely hand-written note in the end paper to boot. Proper old school. This was to supplement my copy of the last edition. 

Regards

Guy

Having spoken to Keith Parkin, he confirms that the books were always intended cover mainly loco hauled stock.

Mk1 EMU stock  such as AM9, 4-CEP/BEP/REP are not included though clearly many facets of their construction such as variety of roof vents etc., are common to MU and loco-hauled stock. However, if like me you were looking for details of the underframe boxes of AM9 Griddle Cars, then you will be disappointed. However as a designer of 0gauge rolling stock and locos, I believe there are no better guides available on the construction and modifications to Mk1 loco hauled stock than these.

• RMweb Premium

a mk1 EMU book would be a volume in itself - AM2,4,5,7,8,9, CEP,BEP,BIG,CIG,VEP,EPB,HAP

and Harris would have to cover AM10 & 312 as, despite appearances, they were based on the mk2 coach (to be fair he does mention them, briefly)

Edited by keefer

The title of the first edition back in 1982 made it clear that it was about loco-hauled stock, but subsequent publishers went for a snappier title. The first edition has some important photos not in later ones, including a good one of a maroon RKB with B5 bogies (W1500 if I recall correctly - book not currently to hand).

• Thanks 1

Thanks you for all the replies.

I' was interested in just the loco hauled stock, so the book sounds perfect.  I'll keep my eye out for both the 1982 and 1991 version and see what comes up. I've ordered a HMRS supplement in the meantime.

From the above discussion, it seems that the 'missing' parts refers to the MK1 based EMU stock? Are there any other things one should be wary/new information that isn't contained within either volume with regards MK1 loco hauled stock?

Thanks once again

James

Perth, WA

On 05/01/2020 at 00:05, keefer said:

.............. Harris would have to cover AM10 & 312 as, despite appearances, they were based on the mk2 coach (to be fair he does mention them, briefly)

Always thought it very odd that these were ( virtually ) overlooked as he gives reasonable details of the ( only ) other MkII multiple units : the NIR 'thumpers'.

• 11 months later...

Just purchased Parkin's wonderful book used from Amazon. What was advertised was the 2006 edition. What arrived was the 1999 reprint of the first edition. On one level I am pleased as the firs edition copies available online are all £150+. However it would be good to know what additional info was in the 2006 edition that was not in the earlier one (and vice versa)?

Edited by G-BOAF