NER Brake Van

Recently for Botanic Gardens I've been making progress with a NER V1/3 brake van - the rather distinctive 'bridcage' type which the North Eastern once favoured.

post-125-0-16111100-1330636624_thumb.jpg

It's based upon a Slater's kit - the underframe is new reusing the moulded axleboxes and springs/hangers with solebars of two layers of 20 thou Plastikard with new bolt detail added individually during one Sunday shift at work! Bill Bedford NPCCS W Irons were used with Gibson wheels. Handrails utilise 0,33 mm nickel silver wire from Eileen's as this conducts heat less well than brass wire so makes solering much easier so close to the plaastic sides.

Still to be added are foot boards and the rest of the brakegear - a visit to Hull's Streetlife museum to see their preserved example and its brakegear arrangement. Though this has to be approached with a little caution; there's a full write of this visit and reasoning on my blog together with the photos for anyone interested - http://eastmoor.blog...3/birdcage.html

If this has given you a push to get on with something then I'd see my project as successful :)

It was one of those projects where you improve one part then think well I need to improve this next bit as the first part makes it look basic... If you know what I mean!

• RMweb Gold

That looks very nice James, I think if you've used Ian Sadler's book you won't have gone too far wrong. It's a shame it would be difficult to build most of the variations of these vans, there were some WM side duckets (NER - sidecote, topcote not birdcage) a while ago, not sure if it was David Geen or David Scott who did them. I've got a couple (or 3 or 4) of these to do some time, now I know how to go about it.

topcote not birdcage

That's why it was in inverted commas!

The sidecote versions are something I want to tackle - or maybe just the one! I think they could be scratchbuilt quite easily in Platikard.

Other members of the group have D&S kits in stock for other varients so we should have a nice cross section of vans by the time we've finished :)

That looks very nice James, I think if you've used Ian Sadler's book you won't have gone too far wrong. It's a shame it would be difficult to build most of the variations of these vans, there were some WM side duckets (NER - sidecote, topcote not birdcage) a while ago, not sure if it was David Geen or DavidScott who did them. I've got a couple (or 3 or 4) of these to do some time, now I know how to go about it.

James - I have still got a supply of the whitemetal side duckets. If you are interested in some, please pm with your requirements etc and you can have them - as long as it's not too many - for the postage cost.

Seriously nice there James. When I have cured my Loco and coach fettish at the moment I will have to have a go at building a decent train of 20Tonne hoppers and one of these brake vans. I think I have a kit squirrelled away in the unbuilt kit box.... not allowed to buy any more until there is more room in the box!

I had a good read of the article in MRJ 7 at work this morning - I think I've already gone much further than the van outlined in the article. A few gaps this morning have meant I've been able to make progress with the footboards and their supports - until it was all soldered together it was rather vulnerable but is now a nice stable structure. 3mm x 1mm milled angle from Eileen's makes this task much simpler than it could have been!

I had a chance to take a couple of photos of the van with its completed steps. There should be a couple of small steps on the outer supports (I assume they're associated with the end side lamp irons) but as they are rather fine they are rather vulnerable so I've left them off as I suspect their absense is preferable to bent steps! This model will have to withstand a reasonable amount of handling at exhibtions. The handrails are already proving they need very careful handling so it's just one thing less to worry about!

post-125-0-26758200-1331217500_thumb.jpg

All that remains before painting is to fit the remaining parts of the brake gear, though as they can't be readily seen it won't look too different from what you see here.

post-125-0-61065100-1331217542_thumb.jpg

Great modell! It reminded me that I'd encountered a rather delapidated Birdcage Break van at the Tanfield Railway last summer so I wondered if you'd be interested in this photograph of the brake wheel and mounting. I'm not sure how visible this would be on a model but...

gallery_6994_434_133786.jpg

Thanks for the photos of that van - one of that type (V1/1 from memory...?) is on my list! It would be nice and subtly different from the one seen here. Not sure if interior detail would be worthwhile as the van will be at least three feet from the viewers on the layout! But I am tempted (despite the layout's winter timeframe!) to model one with the door open to reveal the stove within!

That is an absolutely beautiful model James, what further NER stuff are you thinking of building?

Thank you :)

All sorts of things really! Various locos on the go at the moment and, all being well, lots of wagons to follow! :)

Archived