Bachmann announce D11/2

Andy Y

• 1 year later...

This may be a more suitable place for my recent pictures of my D11s than Tony Wright's review thread,

so here is my most recent; (there will be more, GC version is in the mail, and a scene with the early BR green version and Gresleys may be fun)

Haymarket 1949 and a driver who undoubtedly knows these engines well, cheerful ain't he?

post-7929-0-00211200-1402088253.jpg

Well, he would be cheerful having to run a stopping train in the rain, even if the sun did poke through, it would never last... and fog rolling in we'll never make Waverley before dark...

post-7929-0-44123300-1402360812.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Rob. What excellent pictures you have made here. You have those carriages just right, with a good mix of Gresley and Thompson stock. The D11/2 is good at the head of the train, and is clearly working hard! The research done has paid-off really well. Also, I find myself enjoying the Scottish scenery.

All the best,

Market65.

Thankyou very much.

I have several more basic photos of the engine and carriages to come, but wouldn't want to succumb to Robinson-it is! It's fun fiddling with the details around the front of the green D11 and also perhaps changing the colour of the paint to something a fraction more likely... although full weathering would be the best choice.

If the brownish colours on the carriages are slightly wrong I shall blame the colour film emulsions of 1949 :)

Rob

I have edited the pic from a 3/4-side angle a tad, about 5 posts back, less steam around the front, cylinders, wheels and so on, and colours made more to my liking. A beautiful engine, later valve timing and lubrication, but when was the curved smokebox-door handrail curved or straight, I wonder?

Rob

Can't get away from these green D11s....!  ..my NRM GCR D11/1 version arrived at the doorstep just as I finished this; the pic being somewhat in the style of the cigarette card, anyone remember those?

Also arrived a weathered 9F so I won't be stuck too much with Improved Directors... so the last of the post-war new BR green D11/2  before pondering ways to make the Great Central version look as good or better.

post-7929-0-82450400-1402468113.jpg

Rob

Stepping back to the WW1 era, this upload failed at first, no doubt because of the suspect provenance of those celestory coaches!

Edwardian gloom and darkness except on a shiny Robinson express engine.

post-7929-0-42059200-1402614658.jpg

or with GWR mail, far more important, and somewhat more cheerful...  how else would Swindon mail get to Sheffield?

post-7929-0-13094200-1402614931.jpg

edit; relief is at hand!  A Hornby Princess arrived on the doorstep today....  no more dreams with D11 4-4-0s striding up grades with 9 carriages on!  For now...  but there is one more GCR pic in the works, at least.

Rob

Hi Rob

Great carriage behind the tender what is it?

Regards

David

The side of a Hornby Gresley brake 3rd suburban shaped and re-coloured and edited onto a Hornby GWR celestory, 'E' number removed, using editing tools.  Alas it wouldn't be easy to create a mixed actual result from the two carriages (well, it would be a shame about the Gresley to cut it up).

It does rather accentuate the lack of RTR carriages of the era.

• RMweb Premium

TO be honest Rob, I think you might be as well to get a couple of old Triang 'shorty' clerestories and digitally graft them on to represent GC clerestory coaches; after all Peter Denny made some fairly respectable GC coaches out of them for 'Buckingham', although you might have to 'paint' the livery.  The biggest drawback with what you've done here is probably the inset of the brake van sides on the LNER coaches, which does rather give the game away.  Although, 'B-H' does look rather splendid!

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi. The coal on mine just dropped out on turning the tender up-side down when I was altering the loco to tender drawbar setting. I've used some blu-tack to help keep it in place since then.

All the best,

Market65.

Why not carefully paint over the "coal" with PVA glue and sprinkle with the real thing? 

Hi 

I have done that in the past but I always feel that the coal load on top of the moulded plastic just does not look right.

Also I like to weather the inside of the tender then put various amounts of real coal in to depict a loco that has used a large amount of coal.

Many thanks

David

Archived