Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jonathan.

Believe it or not, I had a sleep-in! I was watching the cricket from India from 4am and when it came time to get up, I just flaked out...

The IR detector system will be useful and I'll integrate it into my working in some way. I'm guessing you bought the "extra wired" version so you could have the LEDs away from the detector and on your control panel. Bill's mirror idea is also very simple and a good way to go. I can certainly buy, and test, a unit and pre-drill holes, just in case. Once the tectonic activity starts and the mountains rise, it would be trickier, access-wise!

Jeff

Jeff, I'll let you have one on a semi-permanent loan, I'll not be needing mine for quite some time. PM with your address and I'll pop one in the post unless you feel like meeting up in town and I'll hand deliver it to you, I'm free Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday lunch time next week.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I'll let you have one on a semi-permanent loan, I'll not be needing mine for quite some time. PM with your address and I'll pop one in the post unless you feel like meeting up in town and I'll hand deliver it to you, I'm free Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday lunch time next week.

That's very kind of you! I'll PM you details as next week is very complicated for me....

Jeff

Andy - you are quite right. The dimensions should be quoted in (preferably) metres. So for the sake of argument, I'll stick to inches!! :O

*snip*

Jeff

*cough* ...so would that mean you are working in 0.004m scale, Jeff? *cough*

Me thinks mm should be considered the de-rigueur metric unit for engineering - even model railway engineering.

• RMweb Premium

*cough* ...so would that mean you are working in 0.004m scale, Jeff? *cough*

Me thinks mm should be considered the de-rigueur metric unit for engineering - even model railway engineering.

*cough* *cough* ... yep, working in 4 x 10-3 m scale, Scott... correct. I'm happy with mm ... and 4mm is an easier number to handle.

So my ply is 300mm x 300mm etc.

As long as we use a consistent set of units, that's fine.

Jeff

• Like 1

If you're worried about consistency, surely it should be 304.8mm by 304.8mm :jester:

Going back to earlier comments Jeff, if you don't feel like doing any modelling, don't let us push you into doing something just to keep the updates going. I'm rather looking forward at the moment to having a week and a half off at Christmas to do something completely different - and it won't (directly) involve railways at all...

There is another option for train detection, using track circuits. Though it might upset all your carefully gathered droppers. It's the way that I've gone, but then, as I've said before, I do like to do it the complicated way...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Michael. To be honest, as long as I can measure and cut the ply to the desired size, the sheet size doesn't really matter. Lol.

I suppose I'd better say this. I really appreciate all the input from you guys and your "coercion" is fine. But it IS time to have a break... Having said that, I've been looking at the tunnel portal dimensions today - I've re-scaled the portal width to take account that my "6 feet" isn't 6' (discussed at length around page 76)... I may have distorted the relative height and width (compared to Blea Moor North), but the "elliptical" profile still stands. It's drawn onto the 2mm ply backing, which is ready to be cut.

Next job is to draw and cut the "arch rings" from 40thou plastikard (to fit inside the profile edge) and scribe them.

May have some pics tomorrow.... Procrastination rules (I'm watching a programme about Apollo 17 at the mo - not modelling).

Jeff

ps. if you want to PM me with your train detection ideas, please do.

• RMweb Premium

Just spent an hour drawing the portal shape onto 2mm ply and cutting it out with a craft knife.

Not perfect, but it'll serve as a base for the plastikard that sits on top. One very exciting photo to show I've done something!!

post-13778-0-95410100-1355516906_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 3

Hi Jeff, just caught up again, you just cant have a day away from this thread, as it takes you TWO MORE DAYS to catch up again, ho ho ho.

Tunnel mouth looks good, I should see some GREENERY around it when I come back on Tuesdayho ho ho ,

I will have another 10 pages to catch up on when I came back from my Christmass break in SUNNY PORTSMOUF :no:

Andy.

• Like 1

Just a thought Jeff, I wonder how many pages and Viewings you would have had if this wonderfull thread was in the Layouts section ?

You would be so busy answering comments would would NOT HAVE TIME to build the damed layout, you would be up all night on your Flip Flop typing like a demented cochroach.

Andy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for making me laugh - as usual - Andy. I'm glad John (Allegheny1600) suggested we form an S&C group as I suspect this thread would be lost in the mainstream. And the people who have a genuine interest have taken the trouble to hunt it out. No riff raff here!! :nono: [a joke!!]

Shock horror, I'll soon be having a break, so you may not have quite so many pages to look at when you get back. I'll take my "Flip Flop" over to my dads and try and keep in touch over the Xmas period - that is, of course, if Armageddon doesn't occur on the 21st!!

There will be some tunnel progress tomorrow - I'll cut some plastikard.... well, we'll see what happens!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Thanks for making me laugh - as usual - Andy. I'm glad John (Allegheny1600) suggested we form an S&C group as I suspect this thread would be lost in the mainstream. And the people who have a genuine interest have taken the trouble to hunt it out. No riff raff here!!...

I'll have you know there's plenty of us riff-raff lurking here :O I hadn't realised it was not in the layouts section as I just watch the VNC page and it's always near the top of the first page, so frquently drop in to see progress or just for the entertaining banter.

Nick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'll have you know there's plenty of us riff-raff lurking here :O I hadn't realised it was not in the layouts section as I just watch the VNC page and it's always near the top of the first page, so frquently drop in to see progress or just for the entertaining banter.

Nick

Nick, as a previous poster, you are certainly not "riff raff" - lol. I well remember your comments on atmospheric haze changing the colour of my viaduct(s)!!

Glad you like the banter. There's plenty of ongoing modelling, but I made it clear from the start that a relaxing environment is far more conducive to discussion than if people are afraid to have their say.

Good to hear from you! :O :o honest!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy - you are quite right. The dimensions should be quoted in (preferably) metres. So for the sake of argument, I'll stick to inches!! :O

Jeff

I often say that 'feet and inches are miles better!' Mind you, mm do have there uses!

I think you will do well to enjoy your break over Christmas at your Dad's. A couple of good days away will make you see a bit more clearly, and have a bit more energy to attack the next phase.

I wish i could get 5 mins to do some actual modelling, I seem to have stopped fully! I suppose that I may well return after Christmas too!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

If you need anymore reading over Christmas, I can trawl through my scanned archive and see if there is anything else you should have. Got a shock today while I was looking for something else (GWR water tower, such filth! ;-} ) when I stumbled on another 600 pages of untitled images!

Just found out that I've got some extra days off (Roster is out and these days had been defferred until the roster was published just in case my shift couldn't be covered) after Christmas, so I may take some coach bits home and see If I can start the next coach, and maybe finish the exisiting two!

BTW if anyone is after a drawing for something drop me a PM and I'll see if i have it in the my MRC plans archive. Not got many locos mind!

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I often say that 'feet and inches are miles better!' Mind you, mm do have there uses!

I think you will do well to enjoy your break over Christmas at your Dad's. A couple of good days away will make you see a bit more clearly, and have a bit more energy to attack the next phase.

I wish i could get 5 mins to do some actual modelling, I seem to have stopped fully! I suppose that I may well return after Christmas too!

Andy G

I like that one. Reminds me of the old quote "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!!"

I think we all need a bit of a break and some perspective. A few days away, plenty of food and relaxation and I'll need to burn off some of the weight I put on with a bit of modelling exercise!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy - plenty of non-railway modelling planned over xmas - I collect books, but have got a Kindle as a number of out-of-print items are available for it (but not in print).

I've started on the tunnel mouth - hope to get a fair bit further tomorrow. Having cut the portal the first thing I have to do is check the trains will get through it!

And come on Andy - it's xmas - clean thoughts, man. No filth!! :O :no:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure I could cope with a Kindle, you don't get many OPC books on it, and how would the scale drawings work out? Give me proper paper (and some more shelves, please!) every time.

Jeff have you read any of LTC Rolts books? If not, hunt out 'A Railway Adventure' is well worth the money (always some on Ebay, and you could by it new too!), as is the three part Autobiography (but don't buy the Trilogy version as that is short of loads of photos). I find reading a book of his, gets you away from everything soo quickly. The only one I have struggled with so far is 'A Potters Wheel, the history of the ball clay industry', but his brief history of machine tools is very interesting! (Can you see why I'm know as excentric??)

Andy G

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know where I can get 5 thou plasticard from please? I'm after some to help with a bash of some old Ratio kits, 10 thou is slightly too fat to match up with the exisiting panel sides......

Andy g

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

Oh, probably breaking all sorts of rules here, but has anyone got a ratio MR kit for an all 3rd suburban carriage, made or unmade, in any condition (as long as the two sides aren't mullared!) please? I'm after the sides (having broken mine!) to make something more interesting....

Andy g

Thanks for the suggestions. As far as the kit is concerned, you'll reach a much wider audience if you make the same request in the "Wanted" section of the "Trade and Products Zone" on the Homepage. Best of luck!

I'm off to bed now - up at 4am to watch the cricket from Nagpur.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

I have a day out and everyone's on here...typing away...too much to keep up with.

I like the woodwork and your measurements. I like easy numbers...

I think in imperial but when it comes to measuring 10s are a lot easier to handle than 12s, then 3s and 1/16ths and 1/32s...

My basesboard will be 10ft but when I get the ruler out I'll be reading off the cms.

My locos are 11in, 6in, 5in but when I get the ruler out for the track measurements, guess what? I'll be reading off the mms. Ha.

I like that one. Reminds me of the old quote "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!!"

I think we all need a bit of a break and some perspective. A few days away, plenty of food and relaxation and I'll need to burn off some of the weight I put on with a bit of modelling exercise!

Jeff

Oooohhh. Using my left hand instead of my right. Don't remind me! Trying to do things back to front does my head in.

(GWR water tower, such filth! ;-} )

What?!? How dare ye! :tomato: Ouch!!

Your punishment sir: know this - I've just received a copy of Odd corners of the GWR and to my delight there was a weedkiller train at 81C topped by a 57xx and tailed by a Toad. Something else to model. Heaven. :angel: It'll need plenty of water, of course, so hang on to that water tower, just in case the weedkiller comes your way. :sarcastichand:

Enough banter. Demands for refreshment service coming at me fast and furious.

Carry on without me while I think about my other acquisition - the Ratio carriage shed - GWR sshhhhhh..... :laugh:

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Do you need the drawings of those toads? I'm sure I've got about 5 drawings of the differring types, and then there is the TVR vans etc, etc!

All that polished brass is not healthy..... ;-}

I've also got the drawings of a GWR drinking water tank wagon. Maybe useful for your weedkiller train?

Anyway, the LNWR way is best you know!

I've spent 4 years learning to do the bells here with my left hand (makes it easier with the levers) and can just about do it now. Still not natural mind!

Andy G

Edited by uax6

Does anyone know where I can get 5 thou plasticard from please? I'm after some to help with a bash of some old Ratio kits, 10 thou is slightly too fat to match up with the exisiting panel sides......

Andy g

Andy, Evergreen do packs of 5 thou sheet (6" x 304.8mm I think) - how much do you need? - I found a few sheets from my previous modeling life the other week, and they're just taking up floor space at the moment...

Mornin guvnor, You thought you had got rid of me for the weekend,see post 2334, well, the Greyhounds have the runs (pun intended) and I have a cold, and so I am staying at home to look after the dogs as they cannot go into the Greyhound Kennels with a BUG or Virus,and also so as not give my cold to all my Grandchildren.

This means I have a whole weekend of modeling with just a stop for a COFFEE AND CAKE, and I can also plague YOU, ho ho ho :jester:

Andy.

Edited by Andrew P