Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Gordon, as an addendum to posts 771 and 772...

It occurred to me that, even with the best intentions and phenomenal work rate, I have a "problem" that will slow me down. I will be able to install the Bus wires by feeding them through pre-drilled holes in the subframe. But the ply baseboard has to be fixed onto risers (so the top is level with the rail-bed on the viaducts) and I'll have to get this done before I can connect the droppers. Damn!

Nevermind, at least something is about to happen!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning folks. Current state of play...

18 Cobalt point motors, Bus wire and various tools on order...

Turnouts will be modified today by gapping the closure rails. Stock and closure rails to be bonded using copper wire.

Holes to be drilled into subframe for bus wiring.

Construction of baseboard risers to commence.

So that's my agenda for the next day or so. None of it very photogenic!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

WOT are the fish safe this weekend, OR are they always safe when you go fishing,ha ha ha hohohoh :O they were when I used to go, think I only ever caught a cold :nono: Andy.

You are always good value for a load of laughs Andy!! :blum: :blum: The fish are safe as the weather decided me against going over to Cumbria. So my poor Dremel is taking a hammering instead!

Btw, hope you don't mind but I've recommended your layouts to a couple of newbies on the Forum who were interested in shunting layouts.

Maybe I should have done a shunter...it would have used a lot less points and motors than KL!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Another good visit to KL on Friday (those viaducts are looking good). Plenty of discussions and 'what if's. As usual I left the Physics man with another shopping list, I should be on commission!

Looks like this afternoon may be spent in the workshop, it's too wet and windy for rc helicopters. :-(

Peach James - is that Lego 'technic' you are using for your point linkages? If so are to using Lego bits for the pivots, or have you made your own out of brass or similar?

Al

• RMweb Premium

I did warn you the weather wouldn't be conducive for your helicopters!

Yes Al, a shopping list. But I knew I'd have to get the stuff sooner or later - it's just happened sooner... At least we can have 19 turnouts/slips up-and-running in the next couple of weeks. And the Dremel chuck was an excellent idea!

Keep a slot somewhere in your diary Al. All the gear (except the DPST switches) should be here by midweek.

Time for coffee and then a few more turnout modifications.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Peach James - is that Lego 'technic' you are using for your point linkages? If so are to using Lego bits for the pivots, or have you made your own out of brass or similar?

Al

No, in this case it isn't Lego, but Tamyia. The big issue that I found was that because I am using Torti, but they needed to move turnouts horizontally- rather than vertical orientation. So, I had to translate the movement 90%, and I needed an adjustable linkage. The Tamyia parts work well for it. Mine came through Britannia in Vancouver, but I know they are available worldwide. (some of mine came from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yodobashi_Camera )

http://www.borgfeldt.ca/product.htm?Product=799-70143&Source=Category&Category=799_70000_EDUCATIONAL

Is the items that I am using. That should give a # for UK purchase, if you are seeking to do similar :)

James

• RMweb Premium

Evening Andy,

The scenic section needs around 20 Cobalts - they should be with me by Tuesday/Wednesday. The Fiddle Yard needs around 15. I may use Cobalts or a cheaper alternative, like Seeps.

The Marcway points are gradually being modified. There are some quirks in the way the closure rails have been bonded to the PCB sleepers, but otherwise it's straightforward. Thanks to Al (Schubert) for his assistance with this.

If all goes well, I'll start fixing the track on the main baseboard section into place on Tuesday. I'll drill the relevant holes for the Cobalts and start to fit droppers. It'll be good to see it take shape and I'll start posting photos on here again. Quite exciting, really!!

Cheers,

Jeff

Btw, hope you didn't mind my little "joke" re. fishing on your Glen Roy thread!! :no:

• RMweb Gold

The Dremel is at the ready and the soldering iron powered up. Time for action.....!!

Jeff

Jeff, Looking forward to seeing some pics when I log on tonight, hope all goes well and the weather has picked up...

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Looking forward to seeing some pics when I log on tonight, hope all goes well and the weather has picked up...

Morning Jonathan. not quite sure what I'm going to photograph, but I will find something! It's strange, but what appears to be a tedious job - grinding copper off a PCB or drilling holes through a baseboard (repeatedly, repeatedly, repeatedly.....) - is somehow very satisfying. A bit of background music and the hours pass away!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Stick with it, once it's done you still feel the satisfaction of having achieved something and knowing what the final outcome will be. I know when I was painting my rails rust colour I had to keep blinking my eyes to refocus (probably the poor lighting in my modelling hovel) but the time flew by as you've said and the end result was worth it.

I look forward to any further updates.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the Forum is running again!!

I've been modifying the Marcway points, the complication being with the closure rails. Obviously, for good operation, I don't want electrical continuity of the closure rails to be blade-contact dependent. The turnouts have been manufactured so the closure rails, after gapping from the frog, are still electrically connected to each other. Cutting through the copper layer on the PCB sleepers with a cutting disc has rectified that. A little bit of paint and you'd never know!

I told you this wasn't exciting but it IS what I'm doing!

Photos enclosed...

Jeff

post-13778-0-22491900-1349113695_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-66192900-1349113707_thumb.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see you've gone down this route Jeff. I'm surprised Marcway supplied them like that. With both switch rails connected together any narrow B2B will cause a short as the back of a wheel touches the switch rail.

Hi Gordon. Yes, I was pretty annoyed at first - as I'd just bonded the stock rails to each closure rail and on testing - the whole b****y lot was connected! It was an easy fix, and I assume they were built that way to have the frog and both closures as one electrical unit.

Anyway, all modified. So the next job is to start drilling holes in the tie-bar and surroundings for the point-motors and droppers. End of the day - it's only a hobby!! :no: :O

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff re fishing joke, I never mind a joke, it helps the world go round, well its that or a stiff whisky, ha ha.

A good philosophy Andy. I'm having a couple of stiff coffees to wake me up ready for a bit of drilling - holes to allow attachment of point motors etc.

As the mornings get darker it's getting harder to rouse myself quite so early! Even for the prospect of railway modelling!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon. Yes, I was pretty annoyed at first - as I'd just bonded the stock rails to each closure rail and on testing - the whole b****y lot was connected! It was an easy fix, and I assume they were built that way to have the frog and both closures as one electrical unit.

Anyway, all modified. So the next job is to start drilling holes in the tie-bar and surroundings for the point-motors and droppers. End of the day - it's only a hobby!! :no: :O

Jeff

Jeff, How are you powering the "frogs" change-over switches or a frog juicer that I have seen referred to on this site? This bit of kit looks very interesting as it doesn't rely on mechanical action or connection.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, How are you powering the "frogs" change-over switches or a frog juicer that I have seen referred to on this site? This bit of kit looks very interesting as it doesn't rely on mechanical action or connection.

No frog juicers. Just straightforward Cobalt motors and DPST switches. The Cobalts (I've 18 on order) are due to be delivered by UPS today.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I ment to say that I do like that long point, apart from Atlas HO, I don.t think anyone makes such a beauty ready made so it relys on kit bashing. thats beyond my time line, I just like getting track NAILED down and somthing running, Caffine is a great way to stop you drilling through your fingers at this time of day. :no: Andy.

Hi Jeff,

Long time no catch-up, sorry about that!

A wise choice to NOT use the frog juicers - IF you've any electrical sense OR have the contacts already built into the point motor!

I used them (on the continental layout) as I am an electrical numpty AND I was using Peco motors! At first, I used the Peco accessory switches but they were rather unreliable for me, so the juicer it was! An expensive affair!

Interesting that you're messing with point work, so am I - must post a couple of pics, over on Dent!

And, YES! I will be running hydraulics over the S&C - if I feel in the mood! Not, if I were at a show of course but, when at home!

Cheers,

John E.