Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Hi Jeff,

Curved viaducts can be built, it just takes a bit of planning, a shedload of plasticard and a lot of time, but the results are worth it...

This is one end of our Stockburn layout; 6ft Radius, 18" high, 7' (ish) long

(the rest of the layout features a station at the other end and a coliery exchange yard in the middle. It's not often you get a busy double track main line and non-stop shunting at the same time on an exhibition layout! - apologies for the shameless plug !!)

Al

HPIM0159.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Al - plug all you like! The Stockton viaduct is an impressive bit of work and, since you've clearly got insider knowledge, I will "pick your brains" and discuss what's needed.

I think I've now convinced myself that curved is the way to go - so the trackplan can be modified. Can't be too big a viaduct though, as it bridges the same "stream" as the 3-arch branchline.

Hi Chard - I will PM you about your efforts...

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

On second thoughts, I might just widen the "stream" into a miniature "river" and increase the straight (branchline) viaduct a bit - AS WELL...

Oh dear, visions of grandeur! :sungum:

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Jeff

Just had a chance to catch up....rapid progress indeed on Kirby Luneside !

It's always good to see a track plan start to take shape in three dimensions.

Go for the curved viaduct...it will look good and allow the track to follow a continuous curve. Were you planning to use embossed stone plasticard or scribe the stonework into DAS clay? There shouldn't be a problem with the sides of the structure...the difficulty is working under the curve of the arches. I only built a small 4 arch viaduct (based on Ais Gill) and didn't have too many problems, although I have discovered that scenic/structure modelling in N Gauge is easier than in 4mm.

Not sure what length/height your viaduct will be, but the good thing about the S+C is- there will be a viaduct somewhere on the line that will suit your location and you'll be able to use as a guide.

Not sure if you've mentioned this..but, having seen the baseboards completed so quickly, I was wondering if you had an overall timescale for completing the layout?

Don't forget to take a break from working on the layout and enjoy a couple of trips over the line this summer !

Regards Alan

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Alan, your words and encouragement are much appreciated. I'll try to answer all the points you've raised...

I've definitely decided to give the curved viaduct the thumbs up. My only concern was with the facings. I think I'll try DAS and have a go at scribing it. Great things is, if I muck up the brickwork, I can repeat the process and try again. I think it might become 6 arches with an overall length of about 90cm. Haven't planned in detail yet. And yes, plenty of S&C prototypes to look at!

Baseboards are cut to shape, but I need to acquire the track, sit it in place, mark it out, work out where the baseboard risers need to go and ... Limiting factor here is when I order the track - probably in about 5 weeks time. Then the real fun will start!

I've a trip planned right at the start of August - drive and park at Kirkby Stephen West, up to Carlisle, down to Leeds, and maybe beyond. Should be good.

I have posted a comment on your own thread. Your layout is looking very nice indeed!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

OK... as suggested by Will, Al, 'CHARD and the increasingly numerous Mongol hordes... here's the modification with a curved viaduct around a track of nominal radius 135cm (4ft 6ins in old money).

Just gives the general idea - and I like it very much. A lot better than the previous plan. Thanks lads!!

Jeff

post-13778-0-08964600-1340999533_thumb.jpg

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

A vast improvement Jeff. Now, what about the branch viaduct? :)

Don't tempt me!! But, as they say..."In for a penny, in for a pound". So a second, smaller curved structure should be easy - shouldn't it!!!!???? :O Oh, dear!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I have been busy for a week or so and just caught up mate. Love the curved Viaduct idea, GO FOR IT. Next the back scene, on Loch Leven I used white faced hardboard for the back scene and curved it nicely with good support and the sky is half done then. Lastly the pics of your old layout and the curved viaduct on Stockburn have caused me a dilema, I have a house move soon I hope, and the one thing I want is a decent room! It was going to be Somerset and Dorset but I love my Jubilee, Black 5 9f 4f and the BR Standards and I am now going S & C so I will be watching for insperation, rock faces, viaducts, large goods yard and a depot. Please keep the pics and plans coming, certinly NOT boring. All the best Andy.

• Like 2

Just come back from a visit to Kirkby Luneside, and it looks even more impressive in the flesh, this layout is big!! A pair of curved viaducts will fit in perfectly ;-)

Thanks for the coffee Jeff, and apologies for the spanners I dropped in the works !

Al

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I have been busy for a week or so and just caught up mate. Love the curved Viaduct idea, GO FOR IT. Next the back scene, on Loch Leven I used white faced hardboard for the back scene and curved it nicely with good support and the sky is half done then. Lastly the pics of your old layout and the curved viaduct on Stockburn have caused me a dilema, I have a house move soon I hope, and the one thing I want is a decent room! It was going to be Somerset and Dorset but I love my Jubilee, Black 5 9f 4f and the BR Standards and I am now going S & C so I will be watching for insperation, rock faces, viaducts, large goods yard and a depot. Please keep the pics and plans coming, certinly NOT boring. All the best Andy.

Hi Andy,

I noticed you hadn't been around - your comments and humour are much appreciated. I've just spent 3 hours with my mate "Schubert" (he that is posting on this page) - and we discussed all manner of stuff, including curved backscenes and curved viaducts. Both will happen, and I will just do my best!

Glad I've had a corrupting effect re. the S&C. It's a great line with plenty of operating potential and - from my point of view - the most important asset - scenery. I'll find a place for a few rock faces and the river area should be fun.

Great to hear from you Andy. I will keep the pics coming as I make "progress"!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just come back from a visit to Kirkby Luneside, and it looks even more impressive in the flesh, this layout is big!! A pair of curved viaducts will fit in perfectly ;-)

Thanks for the coffee Jeff, and apologies for the spanners I dropped in the works !

Al

Thanks Al. No spanners at all...just LOTS more ideas which should help improve things. Great to have an experienced sounding-board to bounce ideas off and someone I can rely on to give me answers based on experience. I will definitely need your input as things move on... if I can pull off half of the ideas that I have and that you have generated, I'll be very pleased.

Did we discuss curved viaducts?? Lol!! :nono:

Btw, look out for the 9F on SMP...coming to a Forum near you very soon!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Not a major event, but the first time a loco has been into the bunker... Bachmann 9F on a length of SMP (supplied by Schubert).

Note the realistic ballasting, backscene and surrounding scenery. The landscape in this region of the S&C is notably "wooden"!!

Come on folks, at least you've seen a LOCO after 3 months of posting! Lol.

Jeff

post-13778-0-23316500-1341077688_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I like the 9f mate who did the weathering?

Unfortunately I can't take the credit. It was a Bachmann pre-weathered model, Andy, and I have to say it's ok, but not up to the standard I've seen on RMweb from people like yourself. That aside, I've 3 Bachmann 9Fs and they are superb runners with terrific pulling power.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Excellent progress, only another few yards to go...

Just one slight issue though, I thought you were modelling the S&C, this looks more like East Anglia !!!

It's the area that Network Rail had flattened in preparation for HS2, due in 2312!!

Yep, only a few yards more. Wish the electrics were as simple as in the photo! :locomotive:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

OK lads, once you give me an idea I start to take it to extremes... Pictures of Ribblehead and Dent Viaducts will serve as my prototype. Dimensions: height, arch-span, taper have been noted. A couple of useful websites, showing viaduct construction in outline have been found - even curved ones! Preliminary plans already jotted down, including materials - if I can get 2mm ply for the viaduct facings, that will be ideal. DAS or plasticard? We will have to see.

Timescale? I retire in 3 weeks. So from the start of August I expect cutting and experimentation to begin. Can't wait. All will be documented here - especially the cock-ups!!

What a hobby this is!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just in the process of drawing-out a trackbed 12cm wide (30 foot) based on inner track radius of 130cm. Viaduct height to be 25cm (63 feet), scaled in proportion to Ribblehead with arch diameter of 11.3cm (28.4 feet), maintaining typical S&C Arch: Height ratio of 0.44. (Ribblehead = 104 ft high, Arch diameter = 45 feet, 24 arches at 1320 feet).

6 arches on curved viaduct, inner length = 88cm.

Just for interest at the mo - no cutting. YET.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Well, that was an interesting exercise and has already prompted a change of mind re. baseboard height above subframe.

So viaduct height now to be 30cm (75 feet), arch diameter = 13.5cm (34 feet), 6 arch viaduct curved inside length at 130cm radius of 105cm (261 feet), angular curve of viaduct = 47 degrees.

Consequence? 12mm ply baseboard top now at 28cm above subframe...I may have to grow a few cm to reach across the boards!!

This lot probably means very little to the casual reader, but documenting my thoughts should clarify matters and (possibly) expose potential errors!

Jeff

Well, that was an interesting exercise and has already prompted a change of mind re. baseboard height above subframe.

So viaduct height now to be 30cm (75 feet), arch diameter = 13.5cm (34 feet), 6 arch viaduct curved inside length at 130cm radius of 105cm (261 feet), angular curve of viaduct = 47 degrees.

Consequence? 12mm ply baseboard top now at 28cm above subframe...I may have to grow a few cm to reach across the boards!!

This lot probably means very little to the casual reader, but documenting my thoughts should clarify matters and (possibly) expose potential errors!

Jeff

Jeff

Hi Jeff, for our club Viaduct I used some old hardboard for the sides cut to shape etc and covered it with Slaters 7mm course stone platicard, I then went around the arches and cut away for the arch stones and went over the card joints and around the arches with DAS , later scribing the arch stones, using 7mm gives it a heavy presencel. It is far from perfect but looks quite good as it is 8 ft long, once surrounded bu trees and foliage it will look o.k. I wanted to do a curved one but it was voted out unfortunately.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy. Schubert's photo from Stockton MRC's "Stockburn" used 7mm plasticard and I may give it a try. How people do the arch stones so well has always puzzled me - my plasticard always deviates from the desired arc. I suppose practise makes perfect, and it looks like I'll have the opportunity to refine my technique with this project. When I get time I shall investigate the availability of 2 or 3mm ply/mdf. I used to use 2mm MDF, but it seems harder to find now.

Anyway, plenty to look forward to in the months ahead. I suspect the large viaduct will be built by the end of August, though whether to an acceptable standard, we shall see. If it's not good enough, it will be modified until it is - as judged by you guys. Peer review on here is such an excellent thing!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've just marked out, and cut, the base and trackbed top for the main curved viaduct, from 12mm ply. Inner radius = 127cm, outer radius = 139cm, arc = 48 degrees. Not a very neat job with the jigsaw, but it doesn't matter as you won't see any of it!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Enclosed photos showing extent of main viaduct - lines on ply show extremities and objects placed to indicate scale.

This piece has a "twin" which serves as the base, to sit on the subframe.

Apologies for the not-quite-dynamic photos!! :stinker:

Jeff

post-13778-0-53015100-1341426959_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-82972800-1341426974_thumb.jpg

• Like 1