Modelling Inspirations - what's happening next.

Andy Y

The next issue of BRM out shortly will make reference to a forthcoming significant development but I wanted to break the news to readers of the site and MI first of all.

The July issue of BRM which is something of a scenery special and due out on the 14th of June will have the first special Modelling Inspiration supplement bound into the magazine in a 32 page format which initially comprises of a Best of MI1,2 & 3 to demonstrate the concept of MI to the wider BRM readership. This will be printed on higher quality glossy paper to make the best use of the graphically led content. I've largely completed the plan for the first printed issue which will feature six layouts plus other articles and a short preview of what will be in the next online version, MI4. This is in addition to and not substituting any other BRM content so it's a real bumper issue and may have genuine interest as a big step forward. Demand is anticipated to be higher than usual so please do make sure you reserve or get hold of a copy as quickly as possible. The cover price of BRM has not been increased to reflect the additional content but we'll certainly welcome feedback on the paper and print quality used for MI.

The following month MI4 will be released on the 12th July in the familiar online format with 64 pages of top quality material featuring some excellent inspiration that brings modelling in print to life.

This forms the template for the future with bi-monthly 32-page printed MIs which will have a look back at the previous online version, substantial new articles and a preview of the next online version. The bi-monthly online version increases the frequency and content levels above the previous output volume so it's a clear demonstration that BRM and RMweb readers will get more added value and content into the future.

Editorship of MI will still sit at this desk with an approach of seeking out the highest quality material possible brought to you in a graphically rich format best delivered through online media and quality print. This is a significant publishing step within the hobby in moving with technology to expand the offer to magazine and website readers alike and takes the magazine beyond a solely print based market.

As an aside I'm party to developments within BRM which will see some of the type of content and writers that are highly regarded by RMweb readers contributing towards innovation and quality within the magazine. Watch that space.

This week I 'ave mostly been eating acorns.

10minutes.jpg

Whilst working through some images for MI4 I happened across this nugget at the edge of one pic.Diners at the Cross Keys in Norton Fitzwarren on Saturday evening will probably know where I was when I took it though.

I'd give it 10 minutes if I were you.....

• RMweb Gold

An interesting and - in my view - welcome development Andy and I wish it all the success it truly deserves. And it's great to hear that it will be printed on decent paper, another excellent development and something which is clearly going to do a lot of good for BRM's reputation plus further the cause of RMweb.

I'm almost tempted to ask if you will be including any advertising pages but think I'd better not as I wouldn't even have time to grab my coat before reaching the door :O

• RMweb Gold

Great idea, but a few questions...

Where does copyright reside with the articles (The writer, RMWeb, Warners )?

Will the contributors be asked if they wish for their work to be included in the printed magazine ?

Will articles included in the MI supplement be paid for at the normal magazine rates ?

Where does copyright reside with the articles (The writer, RMWeb, Warners )?

As ever the copyright of original material is with the writer (unless it were a specifically commissioned piece) but it is the convention to protect the publishing of the whole or part of the magazine with their copyright. Belt and braces.

Will the contributors be asked if they wish for their work to be included in the printed magazine ?

Yes; I'm largely through the process of seeking consent from each of the article contributors for the first printed issue.

Will articles included in the MI supplement be paid for at the normal magazine rates ?

As there is a small amount of advertising placed within the printed supplement to keep a high content ratio there is a budget for the printed supplement but at a slightly lower rate than the traditional magazine.

Excellent news Andy,

You, RMweb & BRM are clearly going from strength to strength (and you're taking the very best of us lot along, too).

I look forward to being able to read MI whilst 'nodding off' - something that might cause damage to an electronic device were I reading online!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Nice idea Andy but it won't make any difference for me. I still won't buy it so long as it is in a plastic bag, I like to know what I'm getting.

David

• Administrators

Hi David,

See my recent post in the BRM forum (June 2012): the June issue is not bagged and I am hopefull that the July issue won't be bagged either (I'll confirm this nearer publication date). Hopefully you'll flick through the issue and like what you see.

Thanks,

Steve

BRM

• RMweb Premium

Nice idea Andy but it won't make any difference for me. I still won't buy it so long as it is in a plastic bag, I like to know what I'm getting.

David

Scrub that! Just seen the post from Steve1980. Well done Warners, at last. :locomotive:

David

• RMweb Premium

When Modelling Inspirations gets into book format you definitely have one buyer for this excellent piece of modelling journalism.

It's a gem.

Agreed!

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a nail-biting moment for me as I've just completed the files for the print version of MI and sent them over to await their queue for the print machines.

It's like marching up and down the maternity corridor again! Delivery is due 14th June. :)

A bit of a nail-biting moment for me as I've just completed the files for the print version of MI and sent them over to await their queue for the print machines.

It's like marching up and down the maternity corridor again! Delivery is due 14th June. :)

Congrats Andy - a well deserved result to years of hard work. :) Looking forward to reading it.

• RMweb Gold

I must admit to enjoying these fine works, but for some reason, I look forward even more to seeing it in print.

• Administrators

Hi SHMD. It looks great. We've just received the final PDFs of the first-ever printed edition of MI and it looks amazing. Like the digital version, Andy's selected some stunning imagery from some top layouts.

• 4 weeks later...

What happened to MI 4 or was that the BRM included material? Did it get run over on the real MI 4......???

If you actually read the first post of this thread, the third paragraph suggests that 12th July is the planned release date.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes and no.

Yes, if you want the bi-monthly print version within BRM.

No, the bi-monthly (in between the other months) online version does not require a purchase. That's out tomorrow.

Archived