DC kits class 501

post-27-0-79133200-1339869091.jpg

pic wikipedia.

A friend at my model railway club has asked me to build this for him yesterday.

I want it out the way as quick as possible, to be honest I didnt really want to do it as I knew its not a quick job, but he has offered me some beer tokens to do it.

it will be built pretty much as the kit comes. if it where mine I would probably add more detail in certain areas.

he had made a start and tried to do change the door handles on one coach side by using some fine nails! so ive taken them out and will need to fill the holes in.

he has also built the centre coach which I havent seen yet but I will no doubt strip it and repaint it so it matches.

it will be in plain blue livery.

I started by smoothing off the detail on the front ends,drilled out the tail light then filed out the recess that the 501 has for the jumper connectors. the connectors come as an etch but I will make some new ones from plastic and brass wire.

I drilled the handrail holes out on the front and also the drivers doors and glued in brass wire.

I am going to do the door bars using fine microstrip which I havent got but will pick some up at Wigan tommorrow, I was tempted to wait and put them on the sides seperatleyu but I thought id get as much done now that I can and glued the roofs ends and sides together.

to do this the roof and floor come as a long piece and have to be cut down to size, the sides are in 3 pieces and I have reinforced them with some plasticard inside.

will try and get more done tonight as much as possible, underframe seats, buffers, roof vents etc.

he has got to give me the wheels and black beetle next week.

post-27-0-92032800-1339869030_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

I have mounted my DC kits Class 501's on Bachmann 57ft suburban underframes apart from onw which I mounted on a cut down Replica powered chassis (courtesey of Gareth of Replica.Railways) For window glazing I use Repiica glazing as it fits well into a DC kit and for window bars I have an etch and i could order another set from PSD of you are interested - you could have it at cost.

I was doing some worlk on Merseyside departmemtal Class 501 yesterday evening based on a DC Kits model that i purchased from some bloke that l lives in the area ! :laugh:

Good luck with the unit - if you want ant speific details I have photos of most parts of a Class 501

XF

yes I thought id seen the last of one of these :)

if it was for me then id be interested, but as I say, its a quick build for someone else who doesnt want to spend a lot.

tell me, I dont really know anything about these, I notice on some pics the footboards go all along and some are seperate.

and I need to get my head round the seats, I thought they where seperate compartments.

Yes I thought I’d seen the last of one of these :)

If it was for me then I’d be interested, but as I say, it’s a quick build for someone else who doesn’t want to spend a lot.

tell me, I don’t really know anything about these, I notice on some pics the footboards go all along and some are separate.

and I need to get my head round the seats, I thought they were separate compartments.

Hi Mike The footboards appeared change from the mid 1970's onwards however I have photos of Class 501's being scrapped with full length footboards!

When new the Class 501's had a mixture of single compartments ( some were used as Ladies or of Non-Smoking) The luggage racks above the seats was the rather strange item as they were metal framed but with string bottoms! -I will send you a photo

You have gone into a lot more detail than I have, however nearly all my units are Replica/Bachmann conversions and because of the amount of stock I have been building and limitations in time available I have had to take a few short cuts!

What colour is the unit going to be?

Good luck

Nigel

itll do...

I glued the window bars using 010 x 020 microstrip this afternoon, I glued it across the whole length of the coach then cut to shape around the doors.

I also replaced the door handles he bodged on one coach with the same microstrip.

I was going to glue the brass etch handles and door hinges but decided to go out for a pint , ive since had about six pints of real ale, so apologise for the blurred photo, the modelling was done in a sobre state even if it doesnt look like it...

post-27-0-57761500-1339964730_thumb.jpg

Mike

itll do...

I glued the window bars using 010 x 020 microstrip this afternoon, I glued it across the whole length of the coach then cut to shape around the doors.

I also replaced the door handles he bodged on one coach with the same microstrip.

I was going to glue the brass etch handles and door hinges but decided to go out for a pint , ive since had about six pints of real ale, so apologise for the blurred photo, the modelling was done in a sobre state even if it doesnt look like it...

post-27-0-57761500-1339964730_thumb.jpg

Mike

I glued all the door hinges in on my first DC kits Class 501 and stuck then on I also started drilling the holes form the door handles and then I realised how short life is!

Beware the windows will fall off especially if you handle the stock a lot and they are silver too which adds to the fun

XF

Mike

I like that idea of doing the bars the whole length then trimming them. It means you get them all aligned, parallel and straight (it's much easier keeping the whole lot straight than small individual lengths!).

Ummm ... was it the camera that was blurred, or your eyes, mike??? :blum: :devil:

p.s. The model 501 is looking good.

bit blurred this morning :)

I think its better to do it this way, ie make up the roofsides and ends, then do the bars.

if you do the bars first they are a bit delicate when trying to get the coach straight and true,

hoping to get some of the brass door handles and hinges on today and hopefully some primer and black paint on the chassis.

Great work on this Mike. I like the way you vary your subject matter - JLTRT class 40 then DC kits 501 !!!! What next ?

Remember having a cab ride Euston-Watford Jn in one of these in 1977 - a rather interesting lurch through the tunnels on Camden bank !!

cheers Phil, got a few things on the go.

Ive just finished the seats, what a long boring job that is.

he gave me 2 packs of comet seats which are very tough plastic so had to be cut into the 2 +3 seating using the dremel. just had enough.

I did have a go at trying to make one of the luggage racks above the seats, tried a few different methods but its such a tedious and delicate job I dont think ill be doing that.

post-27-0-80360900-1340033882_thumb.jpg

Mike

just went to wash the chassis in warm water and the brass bits came off.

tried using formula 560 canopy glue, this has reminded me, are there any glues not to use on dc kits plastic? whats the best to glue brass to them?

Im planning on sticking them back on with evostick when the water has dried.

or i could mix up some araldite.

I'd go with a few dabs of expoxy (other named brands are of course available!! :) )

Is this for Dave??

Ian

just went to wash the chassis in warm water and the brass bits came off.

tried using formula 560 canopy glue, this has reminded me, are there any glues not to use on dc kits plastic? whats the best to glue brass to them?

Im planning on sticking them back on with evostick when the water has dried.

or i could mix up some araldite.

cheers guys, yes it is for Dave Ian.

im glad I never used the canopy glue to glue all those brass hinges on

I araldited the brass underframe bits back on, only 4 fold up brass pieces, also araldited some lead sheet in the guards compartment.

I wish he had just given me the kit unstarted as he had blobs of superglue on this side and big holes where he had tried to make door handles,he had also superglued some of the brass door hinges. god knows what the centre car looks like.

will see tommorrow,

I cocked up on this side, I cut away the bottom of the wrong door on the guards compartment so ive put a piece of plastic in, this coach needs a bit of filler anyway so no biggie.

I was going to put some primer on the chassis but will leave it until he has seen it tommorrow first. also made up the other 2 bogies.

post-27-0-96260700-1340057319.jpg

letter from xerces fobe arrived this morning, some headcodes and destination blinds :)

thank you.

more long tedius jobs...

today ive araldited the etched brass grabrails on.

and also glued on the door hinges, i didnt have any circular microstrip thin enough, so I used bristles off of a kitchen hand brush.

also tested it out with a black beetle i had spare.

post-27-0-19652500-1340123468_thumb.jpg

Mike

he's given me the centre coach he built, along with the correct wheels and black beetle.

first thoughts, not a bad job, he's made the window bars in a more correct closer and higher position than mine, I may change mine to match be he said he's not bothered, I also asked should I do the door bump stops but again he said its ok not to.

the paint he's used, Halfords blue, not sure what shade hes used but it is a little bit heavy and the shade looks a bit light and purply to me.

I was going to strip it but will leave it, at least until I paint the other 2,ill try and blend it in with a bit of weathering and painting of detail parts.

he's happy anyway which is the main thing.

post-27-0-95718000-1340146452_thumb.jpg

Mike

Mike,

Are you going to put Jumper boxes on centre car and non cab sides of the other 2 cars. I have not done this yest on mine yet, however may lasted and last straight Class 501 will have them fitted they will be working and used to power the internal lights. If you would like a photo of the internal end of a Class 501 and can send you by email - photos of inside end are like hens teeth!

XF

I couldnt work on it yesterday but have done a bit this afternoon, I hadnt been looking forward to this bit.

I was tempted to use the etched jumper cables but they looked a bit naff, however I didnt want to spend a lot of time trying to carve exact replicas of the connectors.

so I made a compromise in using some pasticard to raise the boxes, then cutting off the etched boxes and sticking them to the plasticard pieces, then I used some fine brass wire for the wires. one of them has a sleeve from some electrical wire on it.

at least its done, not going to win any prizes, its just a quick attempt.

I dont think ill be doing this on the inner ends just sticking some of the etched bits on.

post-27-0-20420200-1340295730_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Michael,

It's looking good, I like the pipe work it is much better than the etched pieces which I didn't use it on my Class 504 2EPB conversion, I ended being lazy and modifying the 2EPB pipes.

post-6784-0-30176700-1340300670.jpg

Peter

Archived