DC kits class 501

The class 501 is looking good Mike - I've always liked these units and have been looking to build one myself. I've gone down the route of using the Bachmann EPB to save on all that door furniture and bodyside detail, plus the glazing looks good.

Looking forward to seeing your model progress further.... shame you're not keeping it for yourself.

The class 501 is looking good Mike - I've always liked these units and have been looking to build one myself. I've gone down the route of using the Bachmann EPB to save on all that door furniture and bodyside detail, plus the glazing looks good.

Looking forward to seeing your model progress further.... shame you're not keeping it for yourself.

The Bachmann suburban + Replica cabs is another route no need to shorten the coaches

DSCN9038edt3.jpg

XF

There are quite a few different methods of creating this characteristic unit, and not wanting to go off topic from Mike's DC Kits version, none of them are what I would call quick and easy. The Bachmann suburban coaches are very useful, but (at present) they lack the fine detail and flush glazing as represented on the EPB. Extreme Etchings do a flush-glaze pack, but this isn't a five minute job, especially with the variable sizes of the windows. There is of course the Replica suburban coaches with nice flush glazing, but they are 64ft versions, expensive, and the glazing (available as spares) isn't a direct fit into the Bachmann 57ft subs. You can get all the bits you need from Replica to produce this model, but it isn't a cheap option... and neither is the EPB route.

DC Kits offer excellent VFM, but there's a lot of work to be done (as shown by Mike in this thread). If anyone else is considering building this unit, then the options are varied, and other aspects should be taken into account such as the final cost, expertise to hand, information, and what detail of finish you want at the end of the day.

Hornby Dublo model, anyone?? ;) :devil:

Mike, that really is looking good now, all jokes aside. :)

In addition to my 6 straight Class 501's I have a Hornby Dublo unit in near mint condition however it cannot run on code 75 track and is not DCC fitted. Maybe I should take some staged photos of it on the layout as a bit of a tribute to what was a fairly accurate model all those years ago!

XF

Hi Bob, I mixed it myself, just modelcolor acrylic, orange and black.

took a while to do as the first try in the club it wouldnt stick, roof was either greasy/overspray of blue enamel or too smooth.

so wiped it off then the next day gave it a few coats of primer whilst rubbing it down with a scouring pad to give it a key then painted it,.

however then it wouldnt dry matt, so mixed in some talc and its matt now.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the comments.

Most of the detail came from the ‘bits box’ and various bits of plasticard , brass etc. The lights are actually an axle shim spacers etch - spacers are still on etch tabs! As usual once I had finished some better information and pictures became available!?!

There was a unit stored at near Coventry Airport close to the Midlands Air Museum, Rowley Road, it may still be there - it can still be seen on Google Earth.

There is also a good view of unit on –

http://en.wikipedia....yrail_73901.jpg

There are 2 class 501 vehicles at Coventry. 75186 a DT in Marchwood Miltary Railway Green and 61183(977349) in Merseyrail Yellow

both vehicles are undergoing restoration.

med_gallery_2904_2473_41179.jpg

Andrew Humphries

bit of footage of it running tonight on the Liverpool model railway societies test track, first pulling then pushing.

runs well apart from a squeeky axle on one of the bogies.

http://youtu.be/4Zr6L6wsla0

Ah - memories of Queen's Park 26/10/73 en route to Willesden Jn during first big London depot / terminii trip, 83003 rushing past on the mains, jumpers for goalposts..................

Was intrigued by the double buffer arrgt between intermediate coaches - I thought at the time that these would have a single buffer like my locall SR EMU's

Archived