Pin vice drill - Can someone recomend accurate one ?

I have 3 makes of drill pin vices , each version has a fault ;

1. Duplicate slot sizes of one collet,

2. The inserted drill girates whilst using one collet, its not my drills that are wonky as it the drill girates nearest the collet jaws.

3. Another pin vice was good but I was unable to fit one particular size of drill, so I had to use another pin vice with the slot machined accurately (but that pin vice being fault in another way as described above.

The collets are'nt interchangable / compatable to the other makes of pin vice , so I cant make up one decent pin vice out of the 3 I have.

Each version of pin vice I've bought has cost me around £5 each, surely there must be a pin vice available that is of top quality ? , I dont mind paying a little more just so long I have a decent one.

Any recomendations of such an item / supplier ?

Thanks in advance.

I have had a teeny weeny Eclipse for many years - I was about ten at the time of purchase from Pond Tools, on the recommendation of HA Blunt's model shop. Still as good as ever for small and delicate. Nothing like well made tools...

Not long ago bought a rather beefier version (no brand name) with two double ended collets from Eileen's Emporium at a show, and this has proved good for the heavier jobs. Replaced a well used US purchase which I succeeded in losing a few years back, I think the brand name was Xcelite?

I find the 121 to be the most usefull size - I use it for about 90% of my drilling. In fact I have 2, usefull as I can put a needle in on of them to use as a scriber.

Cheap pin vices do nothing but annoy! Buy cheap buy twice!

As an alternative to Eclipse, there is of course Starrett.

Tamiya also make one, although I can't vouch for it's quality. My other Tamiya tools are of better quality than cheap stuff, but not as good as pro quality tools, falling somewhere in between.

Try the Eclipse pin chuck "ref 160" as per this tool supplier. http://www.millhills...f/page24-29.pdf...

I agree that the 160 is very useful, I use one as well as a 121, 122, 123, 124 set. The 160 'handle' is long enough to use by hand, but is intended to fit a drill or lathe chuck so has multiple uses. Mind you, your source is a rather expensive, compare the prices with those in my post #6 above.

Nick

I can't understand why some would prefer to use a 4 jaw pin vise......

The centering is so much better in a 3 jaw version.

Sure they cost more, as the manufacturing process is more demanding, but in my opinion it's really worth it! :-)

I find my battery Dremel more useful and manouevrable than a pin vise.

Dennis

I also have a battery Dremel, a quality tool but I find its RPM/speed too viscious for precision work, so I never use it for drilling holes that require modelling precision, (even on its lowest RPM setting which is still frighteningly fast !) .

I would've thought a tool with its *"versatile"* ruputation (**IMO this applies to Proxxon as well as the Dremel) should be made with a controlable RPM from zero. (not literally "from zero" but you know what I mean, lol) .

A battery powered drill for drill bits of around 1mm - 2.5mm,; my Bosch PSR 14.4v Li does most modelling needs if I'm not using pinvice, I'm comfortable with handling it, as its "pistol grip" and the speed is nicely trigger controlled from zero - ?max? RPM.

Excellent prices - good find Nick.

Just out of interest - has anyone tried the Games Workshop one? It looks to be a good tool but I've never inspected one closely.

Hi Paul, I have one and it's excellent and I have one of the double ended pin vices with two collets which by coincidence both fit the GW Pin vice giving me 6 different size ranges - I find that this is the only tool I use for small drilling jobs (despite having a set of Eclipse) I just use the standard pin vices for holding things while filing etc.

I also have a battery Dremel, a quality tool but I find its RPM/speed too viscious for precision work, so I never use it for drilling holes that require modelling precision, (even on its lowest RPM setting which is still frighteningly fast !) .

I agree, for fine jobs like mounting roof vents etc, you really need the fine control that only a hand tool can provide.

• 2 months later...

Ello again,

Frustrated Jim 'ere... Can anyone recommend a 0-1 mm pin vice/pin chuck that actually works at the bottom end of that range?

My experiences so far:

1. Faithfull FAIPINVICE1 (from my local engineering supplies store): may as well be constituted of chocolate. Even after removing burrs from the chucks, won't even hold a 0.5 mm bit.

2. GROZ PV/1-4, allegedly 0-1 mm vice (Axminster Tools): Not bad, but 0.35 mm is its bottom limit. [Worth noting that the other 3 vices in the pack do exactly what it says on the wallet, and all 4 have served me well for 5 years, so PV/1-4 is still good value for money if you're not quite as obsessive as me!].

My 0.25 mm bits have now arrived, ready to help me model roof grabrails in 0.2 mm wire (AKA 5-amp fusewire). All fired-up after days persuading myself that 22 roof grabrails on my Limby 31 will be a breeze, and ultimately let-down by the technology! Meh.

All good leads welcome - cheers folks :scratchhead:

Two you DON'T want to buy:

Faithfull FAIPINVICE1: Won't take smaller than a 0.5 mm bit, even after deburring the chuck. Chocolate fireguard territory.

GROZ PV/1-4, 0-1 mm chuck: Not bad, but 0.35 mm is its bottom limit. Was, er, slightly put-out earlier when it couldn't handle my new 0.25 mm bits.

Archived