Posting Photographs

• RMweb Gold

While the last version suggested files up to 10MB could be uploaded, there had been a plea to restrict things a little, with a pixel-width of <2k being asked for. 2MB is rather bigger than that. Using the image editor at the top of every page makes the size reduction pretty easy, TBH.

The guidance has always been to resize images for the benefit of the reader. That could have had serious cost implications for mobile device users where people couldn't be bothered to create optimum sizes; I only ever use full resolution where it's for a product review.

• RMweb Gold

So it`s no longer possible to upload photographs on RMweb using my camera - you could call that progress!

Even at 10MB I couldn't upload photographs without resizing, but I've never felt the urge to grumble.

If you need assistance resizing just ask.

So it`s no longer possible to upload photographs on RMweb using my camera - you could call that progress!

It's common courtesy - you only need "high res" images really if you're printing them out; for screen resolution 1024x768 is more than adequate.

I always resize or cropimages before uploading, takes mere seconds to do with even a basic image editing package, and in fact the act of resizing to make a smaller file size actually means the image uploads faster to the servers - and, of course download, we aren't all on a super high speed connection to the internet.

Sometimes when I'm away from home I use a mobile dongle to access broadband, and pay for data usage. I can't be the only one who would rather not having unnecessarily large images eating up precious bandwidth and costing me money because someone can't be bothered to resize an image.

"Image Resizer Powertools" are freely-available as downloads, which integrate seamlessly into the right-click options of a Windows machine, giving quick and easy reductions of large original files for forum uploading or eMailing.

Its called saving bandwidth, if you are not happy host the pictures on flickr or some other hosting site and then post a link on here.

Even I can resize pictures (okay it takes me a while) and I am useless with computers.

Sometimes I will look at websites on my phone and sites with lots of pictures on are a right old pain, links are mush better.

Daft question, how does one transfer photos here anyway? I've got some vintage stuff that I want to post on here but cvan't for the life of me work out how to do it, simple terms please, some of my pics have been sent to me by email from others.

I've tried cut and paste, the editor at the top of the page wants me to log into something else like google, wtf? there must be a simple way of doing it!

HI Roy,

If you've got the images saved locally on your PC (from the emails you've received) all you need to do in a post is click More Reply Options and you'll see a paperclip and a Choose Files button; this then allows you to attach an image to your post.

That's the first stage; get that cracked in a test post if you like and then I can help to show you how you can position the image in your post.

Even easier, can you not change the size of the picture you take on your camera, i have set mine to smallest setting 640x480.

Have a look in your menu under Image mode it should show various setting modes pick the lower the size and you should be OK.

Hope that helps

Grasshopper John.

I use Picasa for storing all my photos on my laptop. Whenever I put any on the web, I use the export facility to reduce it to the size I'd like it to display at. 2.5 years of wandering round the country in my van, with only slow mobile interent access, taught me that there were a lot of no-go topics on RMweb, because of the size of the photos.

The day I got my mobile internet working, I was parked in a field next to the West Somerset, and got a photo online within minutes of taking it using this method!

Even easier, can you not change the size of the picture you take on your camera, i have set mine to smallest setting 640x480.

Have a look in your menu under Image mode it should show various setting modes pick the lower the size and you should be OK.

Hope that helps

Grasshopper John.

thanks for the tip Grasshopper John worked like a charm, I did try using the Image editor but unfortunately I was not born with the knowledge of how that works, and gave up in frustration an hour later.

• RMweb Gold

I would ALWAYS use the best possible resolution for the camera, in the future the current top resolution will be poor, so why set it lower.

Resize before posting, I've already offered assistance should you need it.

I always use RAW on my Nikon for maximum quality. However, when I post here the images are converted to .jpg, resized with the longest dimension set at 800 pixels and the compression quality to "web". The result is that all images are less than 1mb

Dave

Even 2mb seems HUGE, the vast majority of photo's on here could quite happily be much smaller than that, and I did wonder whether some of the technical problems that the forum has had had over the last few months was down to photos being posted straight off cameras.

Jon

Glad to help Lochty no more this is an example of a picture taken 640x480 on my camera only takes up 100.25 KB and resolution isn't that bad TBH.

post-14207-0-08190500-1345017578.jpg

Just an exaple of a couple of swiss watchmakers hammers i use rather than flattening my thumb and finger with a panel pin, the L bar is 9 inches long and they weigh 4oz.

Grasshopper John.

Archived