The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Steve you are very appreciative of my efforts, thank you for your comments,. You will recognize that Peter Denny's articles in RM have been a great influence on the direction of my modelling.

The baseboard in the LH corner is only 18" wide(19" at its widest) yet as you remark there is a feeling of space about it. Little clutter and few people about add to that. Exits off that lead directly to the back scene are difficult to carry out successfully but here it works with that picture postcard view in the background (although the perspective is a little off). Of the two  others, that next WH Lee is obscured by trees and that next Hooper & Wollen is seen only obliquely.   

Reverting to your earlier question about the development of Hintock this is a subject that interests me in the wider scope of the coming of railways and about which I have written extensively elsewhere*, but I imagined the railway came to Hintock in 1857. The first traders to take advantage of it were Giles Comben and John  Hampton who could see the immediate benefits (they were also supporters of the proposed railway), as were the owners of Carr's Mill and then Hooper & Wollen.  Soon followed Hintock Brewers with their Crown Prince Brewery that with its rail siding enabled their ales to be distributed further afield and more rapidly than heretofore-increasing profits. Next as the existing facilities were inadequate the GWR/SR added Sheepcroft Yard Yard.Then in the 1880's  Hintock Dairies took advantage of the increasing distribution by rail of milk to the cities and towns by building their dairy and creamery with its private siding.Finally in the 1930's Hintock Farmers Trading Society built their rail served warehouse.

That is the progression to date and as my imagination has taken me, but all based on likely and proper assumptions. There is a unity about all the buildings because I have taken care they are compatible with each other in terms of style and the (local) materials used. . 

*the articles in question, all in Back Track, can be found here:-

8/2005,    Reminiscences of a Railway Surveyor

7/2007.    The Early Railways, Promotion/Cost/Benefit

2/2008.    Goods, Cartage and the Railway Horse

12/2008   Railway, Docks, Harbours & Shipping

2/2009    The Developing Passenger Railway Traffic 1825-1904

11/2010  The Management of the Midland Railway

6/2011    The Midland Railway from 1900

This may seem to be a 'puff' for myself, but that aside there is a great deal in the articles that demonstrate the influence the railway had on the growth of the UK in those early days of the railways.  

post-3088-0-10813900-1365949218_thumb.jpg

A special working entering Hintock; it's the occasion of the annual shareholders meeting of Crown Prince (Hintock) Brewery Co Ltd and this coach brought shareholders and directors from London with it detached from a Weymouth bound train at Hintock Junction.

post-3088-0-82569300-1366147048_thumb.jpg

Two more shots of the special train entering Hintock: the open area to the left is being developed as the future home of King Sturge and the goods shed rests on what was the landing.

post-3088-0-63219700-1366147243_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-97125200-1366388303_thumb.jpg

Under the brisk Chairman Sir William Boldwood, DSC, MC, MVO (Colonel retd, Dorset Regiment, Squire of Everdene and proprietor of the Everdene Estate) the business of the day was swiftly concluded, then with a very satisfactory dividend declared with a promise of more to come, those attending happily adjourned to the Kings Arms for lunch.

Afterward and a[visit to the Brewery those returning to London entrained and departed.

post-3088-0-43947500-1366388726_thumb.jpg

Fireman Albert Coker takes his ease as the train departs.

post-3088-0-40299600-1366388868_thumb.jpg

The special approaches the outer Home signal to pass under Town Bridge run through Town Yard and proceed to Weymouth.

The running of this coach was not a straightforward attaching/detaching at Hintock Junction to the  Channel Island boat train on the service between Paddington and Wymouth. This was because Sir William required it be next the dining car for breakfast/coffee on the down train and on the up for an evening meal.

And on the CI boat trains these were nor as customary placed toward the middle of a train, but at the rear on down and front, up. The reason for this being on arrival at Portland Junction, Weymouth, the dining cars were taken off and the passenger coaches traveled through the streets of Weymouth by way of the Harbour Tramway, and hauled by a 1366 class pannier, to the ship.

On return the train engine with dining cars attached would be standing at Portland Junction, back down, couple up and depart.

So whilst detaching the last cooch at Hintock Junction required the down boat train to stop, with smart station working this could be accomplished with little delay. But attaching the coach to the up train was more difficult, and as the delay could not be countenanced the  special  coach was worked to Weymouth and attached there.

As this convenience was considered by Sir William necessary for the London based directors, company officers and shareholders and as he was not only chairman of the Hintock Brewey board but also a Director of the GWR this was arranged as he desired.

It did, of course, require the issue by the Operating Department of Special Working Instructions to all concerned, Stationmaster, Signalmen and the Locomotive Department.

For more information on the Weymouth Harbour Tramway a well illustrated article see Back Track, July 2008. 

post-3088-0-22972700-1366548573_thumb.jpg

Arrival at Hintock.

post-3088-0-60880700-1366548660_thumb.jpg

Departure.

post-3088-0-81003900-1366548751_thumb.jpg

A view of Sheepcroft Yard. The GW fruit vans are destined for Granby via Wolverhampton.

post-3088-0-51525700-1366548899_thumb.jpg

and if you like the look of the warehouse at the RH end an article on its construction is in the May RM (out now).

• RMweb Gold

A view of Sheepcroft Yard. The GW fruit vans are destined for Granby via Wolverhampton.

:sungum: Thanks for the heads up John.......I will clear the siding!

Regards

Scott, I'm glad you enjoyed your read and introduction to Hintock. In my imagination it is quite real. (If that's not a contradiction of terms.)

GWR/SR Joint in Dorset on a beautiful English summer's day in the 1930's (years of my boyhood), as you say, are not remembered other than as idyllic! Happy days indeed. 

And gentlemen the 'likes' for this and previous posts are appreciated.

Updates will follow.

Steven F Lint is a railway enthusiast and the the local photographer (Portrait &Wedding, 37b Towngate, phone Hintock 218). These are some he has taken of trains on the Sheepcroft curve.

post-3088-0-58916900-1366906199_thumb.jpg

Arrival at 5.18pm of the Weymouth train. The NE van was attached at Hintock Junction and conveys fish from Hull and Grimsby. Mr Samways the fishmonger will collect it and tomorrow have it on sale, not much more than 24 hours from landing.

post-3088-0-04378900-1366906453_thumb.jpg

A morning arrival at 8.43am of the SR train from Yeovil. This is convenient for children attending school in Hintock and those with business there.

post-3088-0-17177700-1366906630_thumb.jpg

Departure 20 minutes later. Yeovil shed certainly looks after its locos.

post-3088-0-04203000-1366906771_thumb.jpg

Port Bredy has grown in popularity as a quiet family holiday place and particularly favoured by those in the Midlands. So much so that on summer Saturdays through coaches are run being attached and detached to the rear of  ex-Wolverhampton trains and on return from Weymouth.

This is the 8.37 am SO for Granby.

• RMweb Gold

Port Bredy has grown in popularity as a quiet family holiday place and particularly favoured by those in the Midlands. So much so that on summer Saturdays through coaches are run being attached and detached to the rear of  ex-Wolverhampton trains and on return from Weymouth.

This is the 8.37 am SO for Granby.

Oh dear you are keeping me busy John.........I will have to organise an arrival shot.......I am glad you havent got carriage destination boards up yet....I guess that could be another joint project?

As always the photos and accompanying legends are great......the Southern introduction has definitely added a new and very enjoyable dimension to Hintock

Regards.

John, I don't think this working would carry destination boards it not being a regular daily working-just summer Saturdays.

The train being made up on the Friday before from what was available in Weymouth carriage sidings.It would then work empty to Hintock.

But it was a jolly thought.

And glad you liked the legend. They do add credibility to the scene portrayed.

Regards,.

Goods workings on the Hintock Branch have not figured very much on this Thread so far; there are two daily pick-up workings, the 'Up local' from Hintock to the Junction (and back), and on alternate days 'the Dorchester', GWR, Dorchester-Hintock-Yeovil and 'the Yeovil' SR, Yeovil-Hintock-Dorchester) both and, return.

At Branch station yards wagons destined there are set out and those for departure got out for pick up on the return, so by a time a train reaches Hintock only wagons destined for its Station yard or Port Bredy arrive.

Next shows a little of a working:-

post-3088-0-46588000-1367532443_thumb.jpg

The train has stopped inside of the outer Home signal, and those wagons for Sheepcroft Yrad taken off and are in course of shunting. The central siding is known as 'the Farmers', at its end is the warehouse of the Hintock Farmers Trading Societyand  subject of an article in the May RM. (The baseboard here is only 14" wide.)

post-3088-0-80777900-1367532621_thumb.jpg

Shunting in progress. The object on the shelf is one of my shunting poles.

post-3088-0-24045300-1367532815_thumb.jpg

The Pannier in charge. This is shedded at Dorchester.

post-3088-0-26023400-1367532983_thumb.jpg

All done and departure for Dorchester..

post-3088-0-01108300-1367533082_thumb.jpg

This is 'the Local' for the junction. The Guards van is allocated to Hintock and is marked 'To work only the Hintock Branch'

...post-3088-0-90692700-1367533166_thumb.jpg

Another destined for Dorchester.

post-3088-0-83630500-1367677527_thumb.jpg

In a recent post Rob referred to 'helicopter shots'-like them or not they are very illustrative and here are two of  the area around Hintock station and its yard.

In the first shot the goods only Port Bredy branch is through the far bridge, Sheepcroft Yard is off the R in the second shot.

post-3088-0-54773500-1367677695_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifDSCN3300.JPG

In a recent post Rob referred to 'helicopter shots'-like them or not they are very illustrative and here are two of  the area around Hintock station and its yard.

attachicon.gifDSCN3301.JPG

Nice shots John.You have a tidier layout room than me so its not a bigger deal than it is for me. :derisive:

Kind words Peter and Rob and that are appreciated.

Yes, Peter it is fun to operate and I'm really pleased with the way it has worked out, both in operational and scenic terms. It also has given me and still does, pleasure in thinking about the scenario behind Hintock and the trains likely to be seen on the Branch. The Joint Line that it now is, has added to that. I think it probable that an E4 will in due course, be seen. Perhaps not strictly correct (although I believe some did work in the west), but maybe acceptable.

And Rob, it was not always very tidy when work was in progress, but now, subject to anything not now envisaged, it can stay tidy, I dislike muddle.

And to others, thank you for the 'likes'.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely photos John. I don't go back to thirties but do go back to steam days and this reminds me of warm sunny afternoons watching trains.

Don

Reverting to Peter's comment about operation being fun it is too because I have worked hard to achieve near impeccable running and 'hands off' at that apart from use of my shunting pole. This does add further pleasure. I also do not just 'play trains' but endeavour to replicate typical services. This might seem a little pompous, but I'm by no means that, however I do try to run a railway as I remember it and that's where I get my jollys.

Neal, thank you, individual shots good as they might be are after all just that, whereas the helicopter shot enables the whole to be seen. They are the sum of the parts. Mine I think can be said to illustrate how Hintock hangs together and that also has been one of my aims.

Donw, I agree, what could be better than a warm sunny English summers day in Dorset watching steam trains? Glad you enjoyed the photos.

And appreciate the additional 'likes' as well as the 'hits'.

Regards to all.

My last post on the subject of the ex A&S mill was #200 and as my recent posting shows it as Carr's Mill and in situ I thought I'd tell the back story to it, or as some would say it's legend. Though mine owes more to Hardy rather than le Carre.

post-3088-0-05486300-1368189018_thumb.jpg

The founder Donald Carr was an up and coming young man from Lancashire who determined to put his knowledge of textiles to use and immigrate. On his journeying to ship he chanced on Hintock and there met Elizabeth Jane the only daughter of a prosperous grain merchant and Mayor of the town. He courted and married her and in the early 1800's with money from his father-in-law, Michael, and the Dorset County Bank  built his own textile mill.

post-3088-0-58368900-1368189401_thumb.jpg 

He then commenced manufacturing corduroy trousers. These were hard wearing and much favoured by working men in Dorset and neighbouring counties. And always remembered by the catchy sales slogan '...don't go to work without them...'

post-3088-0-16179100-1368189646_thumb.jpg

In 1855 when the Hintock Branch was promoted both Donald and father-in-law, the Mayor, were stalwart supporters, however the Mill fell on the best line for the railway and rather than provoke an objection the Engineer diverted the railway around the Mill. This accounts for the reverse curve in the approach to the station (seen in the helicopter shots.)

post-3088-0-10400300-1368189928_thumb.jpg

The business prospered and Donald's descendants, still in business and the trousers still popular, have benefited from the proximity of the Hintock Branch and its rail connection to readily distribute the Mill's products  throughout the south and west.

post-3088-0-17422600-1368190244_thumb.jpg

The east end and a work in progress. A subsequent post will show what I did here.

All in all the old A&S building adapted very well and compared to what was here before it is a great improvement to the scene and Hintock

Yes, 81c I agree and a useful comment, it was my intention to add a little natural clutter but so far haven't got around to it. I already have several bikes out and don't want to overdo that as an item. I also have an aversion to too much small detail as you've no doubt observed.

The open space to the rear has already been developed and I think you will like it when you see it. 

And I appreciate the remarks about the photos.

• RMweb Gold

I do admire the way you have conveyed the image of a small rambling mill that has been extended and modified over almost 200 years.....excellent.

As always you tell a good tale.....your legend was so convincing I went to check the label on a pair of cords I bought some years ago in England............................sadly they were "Made in China"

Best Wishes

John, I guessed you'd approve.

And I've just checked two pairs I have (our local thrift store is excellent for things like that but I only purchase those items with good brand names) and neither have a label and that's surprising, however it's likely they have the same origin as yours. Poor old Donald would be turning in his grave.

Regards,

post-3088-0-35448600-1368621691_thumb.jpg

It's late afternoon at Hintock and the Weymouth train drifts in.....

post-3088-0-21534000-1368621797_thumb.jpg

...behind the loco is the 'Grimsby fish' van attached at the Junction...

post-3088-0-97789800-1368621940_thumb.jpg

...whilst in the loop the Up pick goods to Dorchester stands ready to depart.

(I wonder what this post will collect under the new system in the way of 'likes' or whatever now passes for them.)

As I don't have the opportunity to click buttons, coloured or otherwise to respond I'm doing it the old fashioned way- in words; thank you gentlemen for pressing your buttons. The result is appreciated.  

Archived