GWR Z2 Gunpowder Van- new release from Parkside-Dundas

Fat Controller

I note from the Parkside web-site that they are to produce, soon, a GWR Z2 Gunpowder Van. From the one drawing and photograph in the 'combined volume' on GWR wagons, it would seem that this was the type that formed the basis for later vehicles from the LMS and BR; can anyone say if this was the case? If so, can I give up on trying to narrow and shorten Hornby-Dublo/Wrenn/Dapol bodies?

Could be a good bet. The only way to find out is to buy one and see what it looks like. It would probably need underframe mods to lose the DC brake and the roof of the pictured van doesn't seem to have the extended eaves over the doors. At worst you would have GW wagon which has wandered off home ground.

NOTE WE ARE TALKING 4MM KIT

Brian

No doesn't look good! http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/New_Products.html is for a Z2, a strange choice. They are only 16ft oh, whereas the later GWR one, which was also very similar to LMS, LNER & BR were 16ft. 6in. over headstocks.

Yes, the later ones would be very useful, some of all of them lasted into the 1980s.

Paul Bartlett

I would have thought that the later Z4 would have been a better choice for them. The earlier version(s) have been available from Adrian Swain (ABS kits) for the last 30+ years, he even sells a conversion kit for the standard Iron Mink.

Purely speculation on my part:

I think there is a relationship between Parkside and Red Panda? so maybe Parkside have chosen to introduce the Z2 GPV as they know another could be in the offing.

Was it really over 4 years ago when Red Panda was threatening to introduce kits for two different diagrams of more recent GPV’s?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12789&hilit=Red+Panda+Gunpowder

on the old forum…

Porcy

NOTE WE ARE TALKING 4MM KIT

Brian

No doesn't look good! http://www.parksided...w_Products.html is for a Z2, a strange choice. They are only 16ft oh, whereas the later GWR one, which was also very similar to LMS, LNER & BR were 16ft. 6in. over headstocks.

Yes, the later ones would be very useful, some of all of them lasted into the 1980s.

Paul Bartlett

Parkside are producing a range of models utilising the 16' GWR underframe they first used in the 011 kit. Hence, any talk about later wagons being a better choice is a bit pointless. I would like them to do a new tool iron mink myself...

Regards,

Craig W

Purely speculation on my part:

I think there is a relationship between Parkside and Red Panda? so maybe Parkside have chosen to introduce the Z2 GPV as they know another could be in the offing.

Was it really over 4 years ago when Red Panda was threatening to introduce kits for two different diagrams of more recent GPV’s?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12789&hilit=Red+Panda+Gunpowder

on the old forum…

Porcy

I think the only relationship is that Parkside do Red Panda's moulding for them.

I think the only relationship is that Parkside do Red Panda's moulding for them.

Thats my understanding, my point being that if most of the tooling has been completed by Red P they might get a tad annoyed at

their "contractor" introducing a rival product. Even if that product has yet to see the light of day.

I think that's been promised for at least 10 years.

Yes but four years ago there was a clear statement of intent on the old forum. Here I am four years down the line still chopping up Dublo/Wrenn/Dapol GPV's but... enjoying everyminute of it.

Now once I get this finished; that is a sure way of making sure a kit of the same is introduced. Isn't that always the way. :)

post-508-0-91993900-1346856382.jpg

Porcy

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

On a related topic ... I just finished the Ratio/Shire Scenes conversion for a gunpowder van and I'm struggling to find a source for the "G.P.V." letters on a decal sheet. The HMRS GWR wagon sheet doesn't carry it and I couldn't see anything on the Fox or Modelmaster ranges, although perhaps something will turn up in view of this new kit. I tried hand lettering but wasn't too happy with the results.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi BT

have you tried hacking the red GWR bits on the HMRS sheet about? G=G, R=P, W=V !!!!.

Regards 81C

You've got me there, as I didn't remember the letters were meant to red!

I was working off the black and white photo in Atkins, Beard and Touret ... and the daft thing is, now you mention it,

of course the letters should be red...

That suggestion to hack the letters is an excellent one.

However, my black paint job went badly wrong due to a duff tin of paint, so the wagon is now in the works for stripping

and repainting, so I've a while before I'll get back to doing the letters. Perhaps by then there will be a commercial

decal sheet.

It was a nice kit to make up - I cannot go any further with it until I sort out an order from Cambridge Custom Transfers - I'm sure most would be happy a few extra pennies for transfers to be included with these kits like in the old Airfix days.

The buffer heads are to me the only negative, it was very tricky to remove the flash and keep them circular, some turned metal heads would be the answer?

post-6681-0-39961800-1350336793_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

It was a nice kit to make up - I cannot go any further with it until I sort out an order from Cambridge Custom Transfers - I'm sure most would be happy a few extra pennies for transfers to be included with these kits like in the old Airfix days.

The buffer heads are to me the only negative, it was very tricky to remove the flash and keep them circular, some turned metal heads would be the answer?

post-6681-0-39961800-1350336793_thumb.jpg

Yes - my Sheet S1 has been updated to include the BR transfers for the GWR Z2 gunpowder van, including the red GPV lettering (but not the red crosses as these were not included on the prototype photo that I worked from).

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/products.htm

• 1 month later...

Yes - my Sheet S1 has been updated to include the BR transfers for the GWR Z2 gunpowder van, including the red GPV lettering (but not the red crosses as these were not included on the prototype photo that I worked from).

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

http://www.cctrans.f...uk/products.htm

A bit surprised - but then I often miss prototype photos - but am yet to find a GPV with no red cross. Some are prettty faded (good old red pigment) though all seen so far have remained faintly visible.

Available in 7mm ?

Archived