Heljan new announcements and updates from Gauge O Guildex Telford

Andy Y

Guest 838rapid

This sounds like a moan,but really it aint.

I wish the 40 was a split box,but shall wait and see what appears from Heljan.

Think I am still in shock :-)

Can anyone explain the logic in Heljan's Western having "undersize (95%) name and number plates to allow you to fit your own choice over the top"? (The resultant fit-on plates protruding too far from the body as a consequence, unless Heljan's 'as supplied' are merely printed.)

I would have thought that £600 would have enough headroom for an etch of all 74 loco number and name plates.

I 100% agree Miss Prism - just got back from Telford and didn't notice that at the show otherwise I would have mentioned it to them for the sake of it - and I even don't intend to buy one as class 52's don't fit with my BR Blue North East set up. It sounds CRAZY - why spoil the model? I guess they will be just painted on like the worksplates on the Deltics, 31s etc - also not needed - better without! Lets hope they don't print on WESTERN CHALLENGER D1019 & the modeller say wants WESTERN LADY D1048!!!!! - if I understand what they are saying correctly....???. If they are going to do it then I think they've got to pick a 4 letter one such as WESTERN KING (probably the shortest?) - hopefully Brian can get the message over to them otherwise repaints are going to be needed! Surely this can't be right?

I've got to say I can't wait for the Class 40 - an excellent choice - I think they've got to do a disc version (which the Heljan guy confirmed to be the case) - as that is the majority covered (124 locos).

I'm surprised at the Class 60 - but I think it's great all the same - but I think a Class 56 would have been better though. (the Heljan guy said they'd looked at a later version of a 56 - so you never know we might get one in a little while)

Time to save up!

I've got to say I can't wait for the Class 40 - an excellent choice - I think they've got to do a disc version (which the Heljan guy confirmed to be the case) - as that is the majority covered (124 locos).

I'm surprised at the Class 60 - but I think it's great all the same - but I think a Class 56 would have been better though. (the Heljan guy said they'd looked at a later version of a 56 - so you never know we might get one in a little while)

Time to save up!

Agreed with what you say but can Brian ask them to do clip on ends for the 40 with all ends in box so you choose the one you want? or as a spare ordered from distributor just as a quick clip on replacement.

Hugh

Guest 838rapid

I spoke to a guy from the Heljan stall today.

The gist of it is the western will have plain printed nameplates,although this seems not to be happening as the guy I spoke to thought it was a strange idea as all other locos were sold unnamed.

The 40 is being sold with Disc headcodes to start with and dependent on sales they will look at doing variants.

> I wonder if they can be persuaded to do the Waggon und Maschinenbau railbus, too...

I asked them this question yesterday - No plans at the moment, they reckon the AC Cars one will be a better seller than the W&M in O guage (it's all those Western region layouts....)

I'm sure the W&M will follow if the AC Cars version sells well.

> I wonder if they can be persuaded to do the Waggon und Maschinenbau railbus, too...

I asked them this question yesterday - No plans at the moment, they reckon the AC Cars one will be a better seller than the W&M in O guage (it's all those Western region layouts....)

I'm sure the W&M will follow if the AC Cars version sells well.

Thanks for asking!

For all those with JLTRT kits to build or just built, don't sell them, build them they are cracking models. You will get a sense of pride when built that RTR does not give you. Given a choice between a Heljan and a JLTRT 40 I would build the kit. Everyone I have seen is fantastic. Having said that I hope the Heljan one will be as good!

The reason Heljan are printing under-size names on the Western is that most people will be satisfied with that. How many of their named 47's are still running with the printed names on? They are undersized so us "modellers" can easily put a Shawplan etched plate over them. And yes they will be printed short names. Having them printed on also, more importantly, gives you somewhere to aim at when putting your etched plates over them, remember not everyone is an expert modeller so we have to take everyone's abilities into account.

The 40 will be a disc version as that's the most numerous and it will also have the small headboard clips on the nose doors as the named ones had these and you can bet your life there will be more named green ones modeled than any other. Also if you don't want them then it's easier to remove them than having to make them and add them. Although you "could" have separate ends for split and centre headcodes you will also need a different boiler roof and side access panel. No doubt the split and centre headcode might follow if the fly off the shelves but having said that we are still waiting for a centre headcode 37! And before you ask it doubtful the 40 will go round as tight a curve as their other locos!

Forgot to mention that the front ladder will be a separate part for you to add if so desired as will frost grills.

Don't forget that the price that Heljan quote for their models is always discounted when they hit the shops.

post-6766-0-14043400-1347274017_thumb.jpg

I'm really trying hard to find good reasons why I don't want a class 60 and a small model of Godfrey road Newport. The fact that it is nice and compact and proto typical ( godfrey road that is ) is not helping matters. Especially if they follow up with a 56.

Archived