Masons Lane

Andrew P

Hi all, well this is Masons Lane, my entry for the Hornby Magazine Summer Challenge, it is just 48 inches x 9 inches and is wired for DCC and point control is via wire rods to the rear. I will show some step by step pics to give you a idea as to how it came about. To begin with I read the rules and then put the mag away and forgot all about it for a while. :sungum: I was then moving some bits around in my litle den and found a piece of ply just 4 ft long and a foot wide, :O so, I went back to the mag and re read the rules and worked out that I could either cut a foot off the length or take 3 inches off the width. :beee: I then drew out both scenarios on either side of the wood and played around with about 10 points and 5 yards of track :no: anyone who knows me knows that I am not joking as I do like lots of track on my boards. :nono: I finally came up with the 48 x 9 and just two points.

Next it was what shall I put in to make it interesting both for me now and for the future if I incorperated it into another project. Starting from the left I decided on a road over bridge with half a platform under, then I had a spare canal boat from George T, so a canal was next but not central and not streight, and finally an level crossing to exit the board at the other end.

The layout name comes from my Mothers side of the family and as I used my late farthers name on Glen Roy and I felt it fitted in perfectly with the rural nature of the finnished layout.

I started with the canal.

post-9335-0-53502600-1347539302_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-78099300-1347539319_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-09355500-1347539358_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-82778300-1347539463_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Andy, I'm glad you are "serialising" this diorama. Having seen the finished item - which is a tremendous piece of work - it'll be great to see how you put it all together.

Keep the pictures coming. One question - did you make the large tree on the right end of the layout, or did you buy it? If the latter, where did you get it from - it's a splendid specimen!

Cheers,

Jeff

Andy, I'm glad you are "serialising" this diorama. Having seen the finished item - which is a tremendous piece of work - it'll be great to see how you put it all together.

Keep the pictures coming. One question - did you make the large tree on the right end of the layout, or did you buy it? If the latter, where did you get it from - it's a splendid specimen!

Cheers,

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, The tree came from a toy fair or swap meet I think, I pulled the back out to the sides and front to fill it out a bit and then used Woodlands Scenics leaves and scatter to thicken it up some more.

Looks good so far, I like the canal underbridge.

Thanks Michael, it could hane been a bit higher but I would have lost the strength in the timbers.

The base for the canal was painted in a mix of Brown and Green to give a nice uckey mucky look to it, ( I would NOT want to swim in it) It was then given several coats of PVA as you can see in the last pic, it is important to let the PVA dry thoroughly before adding the the next coat and the it will always dry clear showing the original colour of the water but makes it look deep.

Next some reeds were added, these are from an old toothbrush and work quite well from normal viewing distance but NOT from close up pics.

Then the cork and the track fixed into place, again photos were take to ensure it looked right.

The front of the board was cut away to give an embankment as I like looking up shots of trains passing over bridges as you will see later. The bridge sides were also tried in place at this stage, these are Wills products as again I wanted a rural light railway look to the bridges.

Next I played around with a row of cottages I bought second had from a local model shop and they seemed to fit perfectly into the back ground.

I then added the short platform and ballasted the track and added some greenery for an almost disused look to the sidings.

The back scene is 12 inches high and is made from White Faced Hardboard, I then painted the trees etc. I also added another pedestrian bridge to the rear of the canal to hide where it meets the back scene, this is a Peco N Gauge girder bridge.

MORE TO FOLLOW SOON

post-9335-0-61790700-1347541506_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-99140500-1347541557_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-00879200-1347541733_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-63873400-1347541871_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-30781600-1347542087_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-15680500-1347542257_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-30091700-1347542415_thumb.jpg

Absolutly fantastic mate, you know my love for small layouts and this is top doller.

And its got my name attached to it :)

I would love to see this in the flesh and have a play.

Really great work mate and a great step by step.

great job

Andy, That canal looks just like they are in the run down parts of Manchester, very good you can almost smell the atmosphere, l too like the step by step guide to building a layout, keep the pictures coming, looking forward to the next installment...........

George

Thanks all, here are some more pics to wet your apitites, and some more blow by blow accounts,

Adding bits of Woodlands Scenics clump foliage around the bridge to help disguise the join to the backscene and to bring the bridge into play as a scenic feature.

The level crossing was fitted into place, I have used the Peco crossing but NOT the normal level crossing as I felt that four gates would again look to much across a country lane,

I have used grass matting for the front embankment etc and this will be covered over later as you will see

By this time the urge was upon me to get it finnished so I cracked on into the late evening to get the main fencing, (Peco) and static grass laid into the bare matting,

Once this was done I added more clump foliage using different colours in different areas and adding leaves and Ivy to the sides of the cottages.

The right hand side of the cottages looked to bare so a large tree was added to help disguise the low reliefe, this was covered on leaf and flock to fill it out a bit and try to take away the shop bought look. Also as you can see the urge was also there to see how the stock might look.

Luckilly I had the camera out just in time to catch a Black 5 coming through.

post-9335-0-22763100-1347553424_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-90903500-1347553552_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-48397700-1347553744_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-76092800-1347553849_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-56796700-1347553956_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-03050600-1347553996_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-90280700-1347554432_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Cracking stuff Andy! You "jokingly" suggested - a couple of months ago - that I try to fit a canal (and pub!!) onto KL - I wish I had the space, as it's very effective, giving extra depth to your layout. I think those low-relief cottages, suitably weathered (they would be, since you've put them in) add real character.

Just one question. Did you put static grass between the rails using an applicator, or did the fibres stand up naturally?

You're going to set quite a standard in that competition!

Cheers,

Jeff

The fence along the rear is a Peco N Gauge one again as the OO one looked too big,

The tation lamps are from Hornby and the platform seat is Peco, as are the sheep.

The road over bridge is a Peco girder bridge cut down and again static grass has disguised the joins etc.

So that is about it, nice, quick and easy,

So now for some more pics to look at different types of stock as the layout is none area or time specific.

And a birds eye viwe of the finnished layout!

post-9335-0-27160000-1347554905_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-45831100-1347555032_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-44339000-1347555147_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-43328800-1347555183_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-97687900-1347555314_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-47349700-1347555430_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-98473600-1347555452_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-91198400-1347555542_thumb.jpg

Cracking stuff Andy! You "jokingly" suggested - a couple of months ago - that I try to fit a canal (and pub!!) onto KL - I wish I had the space, as it's very effective, giving extra depth to your layout. I think those low-relief cottages, suitably weathered (they would be, since you've put them in) add real character.

Just one question. Did you put static grass between the rails using an applicator, or did the fibres stand up naturally?

You're going to set quite a standard in that competition!

Cheers,

Jeff

Cheers Jeff yes it is a Finscale Models Static grass aplicator.

• RMweb Premium

Good job we're in the digital era, Andy. If you were using film, you'd be bankrupt - what, with the quantity of images. But - keep 'em coming!!

Which loco(s) have you used in your competition entry? They all look good, but that weathered Black 5 in post 12 is the "bee's knees" for me.

Thanks for the info.

Jeff

Blimey, that was quick! How long did it really take you?

It looks great, amazing what you can do in such a small space. Yes the canal bridge is low, but many were, and it doesn't look wrong so it works. The scenic setting is very natural, you've done a great job with the backscene too. Interesting how changing the stock and road vehicles completely changes the tone, although I guess you ought to change the crossing gates for barriers, the ground frame box for some relay cabinets, and the station furniture too!

I suppose you realise that by extending the line to the right a little (even with a bare "stick" of track) you could have an operational inglenook puzzle?

Blimey, that was quick! How long did it really take you?

It looks great, amazing what you can do in such a small space. Yes the canal bridge is low, but many were, and it doesn't look wrong so it works. The scenic setting is very natural, you've done a great job with the backscene too. Interesting how changing the stock and road vehicles completely changes the tone, although I guess you ought to change the crossing gates for barriers, the ground frame box for some relay cabinets, and the station furniture too!

I suppose you realise that by extending the line to the right a little (even with a bare "stick" of track) you could have an operational inglenook puzzle?

Hi Michael,yes I know that you need to do more than just the road vehicles but not every yard of line has relay cabinets and if running modern image the sidings would probably be disused anyway, the modern photos are just a bit of fun to explore possibilities and to use Deesdale stock before it is sold next week.

Deesdale stock sold next week??

Yes mate, since selling Deesdale most of the Modern Image stock has gone, (LESS IS MORE) to fund the sound unit for my 26 to run on Glen Roy and to save up for the wood and track for Fiddlers Yard, I have an Arriva 150, DRS 66 and a few engineers wagons left plus quite a bit of Markway/ SMP finescale track, points and a turntable to sell at Barrow Hill, I am also selling a Bachmann Large Logo 37 with factory sound as that dose not fit in with Glen Roys rota now as short 25 / 26 look better on a small layout.

Archived