LMS Jubilee and some ex LNER (or early BR) Pacifics.

mikemeg

What's mikemeg think he's doing? Not a clue, in the title, as to what this thread is all about, just vague inferences to what it's not about. :scratchhead: No, wait, he's edited the title to be more informative. :declare:

Well, when we were kids, watching trains in Hull, there was a distinct paucity of green locomotives around. The only real exceptions were the diesel shunters, which started to arrive in significant numbers in 1958/59 and which were green.

But I can still remember the first time I ever bunked Hull Dairycoates shed, one Sunday afternoon in 1958. Leaving the shed we stopped at a footbridge over Hessle Road, in Hull. We had to, as the level crossing gates had been closed! As we ascended the steps of the footbridge, the main line into Hull was signalled and, moments later, down the bank past Dairycoates came a passenger train, hauled by a locomotive of a type which none of us had ever seen before. It had a tapered boiler, it was elegance personified but, above all, it was green; fully lined green and it was named.

It was 45562 - Alberta - of Leeds Holbeck; a locomotive which I would see many times and which was always an enormous thrill to see.

So moving on, a year or two ago I was wandering around one of the model railway shows, and I don't attend many, and there on one of the trade stands was the then new Bachmann Jubilee, for the ridiculously cheap price of £75. Too good to miss. Frankly I couldn't buy a body kit for that price and I certainly couldn't finish it to that standard. So, all in all, just a steal; had to be bought.

So now it's time to take this 'OO' gauge model and make it into a P4 model, with as much detail as I can find.

This will be a fill in project between the trial builds of Arthur Kimber's kits but it is one I will really relish!

And the photo below shows where I start and what a lovely model it is. The intention is that this should remain 45611 - Hong Kong - of Nottingham shed. The rationale is that it will work excursions from Nottingham to Bridlington, through Hull, as Midlands based Jubilees frequently did.

post-3150-0-58995300-1348219154.jpg

Cheers

Mike

Oh and I should have added; I bought a Bachmann Peppercorn A1, a parallel boilered Royal Scot and an Austerity 2-8-0 at the same show, so perhaps they too ..................

post-702-0-01175000-1348219405_thumb.jpg

Couldn't find one of Alberta, but attached second best, its stablemate "Hardy" in an identical pose to your model. You will well recognise the location, you will have viewed it many times when you came 45 years ago to the shop to buy your sheets of "Plasticard" at a "Bob" a go. Best Wishes, Mick.

Ha! you think YOU had a paucity of green locos? You should have spotted at Scunthorpe, and Frodingham shed in particular.

I did see TWO Jubilees on shed in the last few years of steam, once they were displaced from passenger trains, and we had a season of Brits from Immingham, one per day, the 1930 to Doncaster, but green was reserved for Donny and beyond.

Frodingham locos were usually so dirty you could barely read the numbers.

So without, in any way, attempting to convey the impression that I am some sort of paragon of planning virtue, the first activity on the plan (and yes, I'm afraid I make a plan for each build, usually a simple Excel spreadsheet with just the activity, the source of the activity i.e. supplier or me, the cost and the time taken to do the activity - never the target though; they just get missed!) is to identify suitable components and identify the supplier. Old project management experience dies hard, so budget and timescale; neither of which I set, but both of which I try to track.

On this one, as there seems to be no overlay chassis a la Brassmaster's EasiChas, then I think the Comet chassis will be the basis of the rebuild. I plan to do as little to the body as possible, leaving the finish untouched. Alan Gibson Stanier style driving wheels, with bogie and tender wheels will be used and as large a Mashima as can be accommodated, with a High Level gearbox. Other bits I will source by reference to the drawing of the prototype.

So that's phase 1 - provisioning.

Cheers

Mike

The first "Green" engine I saw in Hull was the "Royal Train" of summer 1957. I don't recall what it was, but I'm sure it will be well documented in the railway press of the day. I then had to wait until c1960, when "Gainsbrough" worked into Paragon. 50 years on, a green diesel would be a novelty. Mick.

Ha! you think YOU had a paucity of green locos? You should have spotted at Scunthorpe, and Frodingham shed in particular.

I did see TWO Jubilees on shed in the last few years of steam, once they were displaced from passenger trains, and we had a season of Brits from Immingham, one per day, the 1930 to Doncaster, but green was reserved for Donny and beyond.

Frodingham locos were usually so dirty you could barely read the numbers.

Yes, we used to see Frodingham locos quite regularly in Hull, especially their K1's, O1's, O4's and WD's. With some sheds you could see the loco number from quite some distance, not so with Frodingham. Even stood next to them the numbers could be difficult to read.

But didn't you just love those sheds whose raison d'etre was freight workings? Row upon row of filthy black locos. Bet you'd love to be able to go round Frodingham shed again, just as it was when you knew it!

Great days.

Cheers

Mike

That I would.

We did get a guided tour, in the dark, from the running foreman, the day it closed. We went down that night to pay our respects, after a SADRES meeting.

And we did have ONE named loco: 90732 "Vulcan" was withdrawn off Frodingham

post-8444-0-48348200-1348254753.jpgHi Mikemeg, I have built 2 Brassmasters Jubilee's 1 with Alan Gibson wheels and RG4 motor and the other one with Ultrascale wheels and RG4 motor.

I have downloaded a picture of Ceylon so you can have a look.

Regards

Len Cattley

• RMweb Premium

Couldn't find one of Alberta, but attached second best, its stablemate "Hardy" in an identical pose to your model. You will well recognise the location, you will have viewed it many times when you came 45 years ago to the shop to buy your sheets of "Plasticard" at a "Bob" a go. Best Wishes, Mick.

Love the Police stand, I'm guessing it was a portable one that got dragged out into the centre of the road at commencement of a shift?

I'm guessing no one ran the gates?

Love the Police stand, I'm guessing it was a portable one that got dragged out into the centre of the road at commencement of a shift?

I'm guessing no one ran the gates?

Oh yes, the "Copper's Dustbin" as he called it, when not in use, he rolled it onto the pavement where it stood alongside the "Gents'" bog until oncemore required.

The gates get clobbered a few times, I remember once by an "Atlantian" Corporation bus. Mick

On this one, as there seems to be no overlay chassis a la Brassmaster's EasiChas, then I think the Comet chassis will be the basis of the rebuild.

Mike, have you considered retaining the original chassis and mechanism, just replacing the wheels and possibly the valve gear, and maybe putting plastic overlays on to the chassis. I don't know about the Jubilee, but the modern RTR's I've modded in this way run beautifully and their conversion is quick and easy.

KISS!

Ian

Mike, have you considered retaining the original chassis and mechanism, just replacing the wheels and possibly the valve gear, and maybe putting plastic overlays on to the chassis. I don't know about the Jubilee, but the modern RTR's I've modded in this way run beautifully and their conversion is quick and easy.

KISS!

Ian

Just for the avoidance of doubt, the KISS in this posting is actually an acronym, much used in the Computer and I.T. Industries. Standing for Keep It Simple Stupid, it extols the recipient to avoid undue complication and complexity (no, never, not with computer people, I hear you say) and thus avoid the concomitant problems of complexity - undue time to complete, unreliable performance, budget overruns, bankruptcy, loss of job, etc.

Thanks for the comment, Ian, and I have to confess that having seen your Black 5 conversion I was/am tempted to take this route. I certainly want to change the motion and to add some detailing though the body is a very nice model. For the further avoidance of doubt the term 'the body is a very nice model' refers to ................

Cheers

Mike

Good photo Mick, well remember getting a bol***king off the bobby for running across the road, when he didn't want me to!!

Regarding Jubilees, I can remember doing a bit of trainspotting at the back of Maternity Hospital on Hedon Road, where there was a long footbridge over the Withernsea and Eastern dock lines, alongside Holderness Drain, when a green engine came round and onto the docks - pretty certain that must have been a Jubilee.

Kevin

Kevin, you are correct about the Green Engine at Holdernes Drain North, it was a Royal Scot. I have full details, I will dig them out for you. The footbridge you mention remains, but of course now only spans the Up and Down Dock Lines, Withernsea Branch went years ago.

By the way, Holderness Drain is to live on, a mate and I are in the very early stages of recreating it in model form. It is one of those one off places, and similar to Mikes Hessle Haven, a lot of original documents and drawings etc have survived. Mick.

post-8444-0-48348200-1348254753.jpgHi Mikemeg, I have built 2 Brassmasters Jubilee's 1 with Alan Gibson wheels and RG4 motor and the other one with Ultrascale wheels and RG4 motor.

Regards

Len Cattley

Thats a wonderful model Len fantastic work!!

Jack

Hi Mikemeg, I have built 2 Brassmasters Jubilee's 1 with Alan Gibson wheels and RG4 motor and the other one with Ultrascale wheels and RG4 motor.

Regards

Len Cattley

Lovely model, Len. If I can get anywhere close to that, with this r-t-r conversion, then I'll be very happy.

Thanks for posting the photo.

Cheers

Mike

Regarding Jubilees, I can remember doing a bit of trainspotting at the back of Maternity Hospital on Hedon Road, where there was a long footbridge over the Withernsea and Eastern dock lines, alongside Holderness Drain, when a green engine came round and onto the docks - pretty certain that must have been a Jubilee.

Kevin, indeed you are correct and the loco in question was a Jubilee, 44576 Bombay, of Millhouses shed, Saturday 11 August 1962. Mick.

Kevin, you are correct about the Green Engine at Holdernes Drain North, it was a Royal Scot. I have full details, I will dig them out for you. By the way, the footbridge you mention remains, but of course now only spans the Up and Down Dock Lines, Withernsea Branch went years ago.

By the way, Holderness Drain is to live on, a mate and I are in the very early stages of recreating it in model form. It is one of those one off places and similar to Mikes Hessle Haven a lot of original documents and drawings etc have survived. Mick.

We could have a model boy to represent Kevin stood on the bridge train spotting. Not sure he'll be able to cop a jubilee though as 62' is a little late for our project, he'll probably have to settle for a grimy A7 or J73! Why would a jubilee be working onto Dock Mick just out of curiosity?

ATB Mick

We could have a model boy to represent Kevin stood on the bridge train spotting. Not sure he'll be able to cop a jubilee though as 62' is a little late for our project, he'll probably have to settle for a grimy A7 or J73! Why would a jubilee be working onto Dock Mick just out of curiosity?

ATB Mick

It would have worked into Hull and then borowed by Dairycoates. It happened reguarly, same with K1's, O4's and 4F's etc. Mick.

ATB Mick

It would have worked into Hull and then borowed by Dairycoates. It happened reguarly, same with K1's, O4's and 4F's etc. Mick.

Hull Dairycoates shed was well known for purloining visiting locomotives, often for quite humble duties. There is a well recorded instance, in June 1960, of an A4 - 60019 - working into Hull. Dairycoates sent it back on an unfitted freight consisting of mineral empties though where it was sent to isn't clear; probably York or Doncaster via Selby.

Cheers

MIke

This is quite fortuitous really as I want to try and squeeze in some L&Y to the project when it eventually comes off. A large boilered 0-8-0 in a filthy state for starters !

ATB Mick

Archived