How to read back CV's on the Roco Multimaus ?

brian777999

I have been informed that the Roco Multimaus does not read back CV's however you can make it do this by purchasing another piece of Roco equipment. What is this other piece of equipment that I have to buy ? Are the Roco instruction books good, bad or woeful ?

The Roco 10785 interface module is what you want, but they are hard to get hold of at a good price so you might find you are better off upgrading to a MultiMaus Pro (which has the programming track connector and computer interface built in) - or as Butler Henderson suggested get a Sprog.

10785.jpg

DCC sets that cannot read back decoder value should carry a health warning!

Yes, I often wonder why they make them like this ? It must make it hard to sort out where you are and what you are doing, especially if there is a problem.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I often wonder why they make them like this ? It must make it hard to sort out where you are and what you are doing, especially if there is a problem.

Indeed. I wouldn't say that I often need to review an existing CV setting, and as I tend to use Operations Mode Programming/Programming on the Main, the option isn't available with my Digitrax system unless I use the separate programming track. But even Digitrax will sell you what looks like a serious system - Empire Builder - that cannot do so at all.

What is sad about all this is that it is those on the nursery slopes of DCC who are most likely to need to read back values, as they are less certain about what they are doing and what is going on. So its omission from so many starter sets is a real snag - but no doubt helps to keep costs down.

• RMweb Premium

But even Digitrax will sell you what looks like a serious system - Empire Builder - that cannot do so at all.

The reason I ended up with a Lenz system about 5 years ago!

I had narrowed down to a choice between the LH100 and the Empire Builder which were very similar price back then.

The retailer recommended the Lenz with the comment "the Digitrax set is like an empty box in comparison"! A bit simplistic maybe, but very telling.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I would rather not bring computers into it.

Hi Brian. Do you have an aversion to computers?

Because the Sprog (Reasonable price) + DecoderPro (Free) is very versatile and frees up the Roco system to run trains whilst the Sprog is maintaining your CVs!

Keith

Keith

When you have a system that cannot read CVs (as most have) you soon get used to not having the ability to read. Remembering what each loco's address is usually eliminates any need for reading CVs.

As someone who only tends to program just the loco address most of the time, and very occasionally the special lighting functions, even writing CVs is not so important. I think a lot of the time the importance of accessing CVs is overplayed to the detriment of the wider adoption of DCC.

Hi Brian. Do you have an aversion to computers?

I do not have an aversion to computers. It is just that I believe you should not need a computer to run a fairly basic model train layout. I prefer to keep things as simple as possible when it comes to the electronics. My main interest is in building wagons (and possibly locomotives at a later date) . I am interested in DCC because no DC controllers seem to be able to give good low speed control.

A Multimaus Pro can be very expensive, over GBP 400, and I believe the power supply is not included in that price. There are some retailers who are prepared to sell them separately broken out from sets at between GBP 250 and GBP 300 and coming from a set that often includes the power supply. Even at that lower price it's hardly an upgrade, more like starting again.

With the new Roco Z21 about to become available and being priced at around the GBP 340 - 360 level I would not be surprised if the Multimaus Pro was quietly dropped from the range at some point.

• RMweb Premium

I do not have an aversion to computers. It is just that I believe you should not need a computer to run a fairly basic model train layout. I prefer to keep things as simple as possible when it comes to the electronics. My main interest is in building wagons (and possibly locomotives at a later date) . I am interested in DCC because no DC controllers seem to be able to give good low speed control.

Hi

You could use a Lenz LVZ100 command station instead of the Roco command station. This will then allow you to read CVs but is around £230.

Cheers

Paul

I use MultiMaus with a Sprog II to do programming via my laptop. When I upgrade my present PC, the old one will go out into the shed just to be used for railway stuff.

• RMweb Premium

I do not have an aversion to computers. It is just that I believe you should not need a computer to run a fairly basic model train layout.

You do not need a computer to do many things, but it can be so much easier with one.

I do not use the Sprog to run the layout, (although you can!) but for adjusting and reading back CVs easily.

You can program a bunch of CVs at the same time by entering the required values and then telling DecoderPro to write them to the decoder. This is useful if you buy a second loco of the same type and need the same/similar settings for instance.

Reading/writing of CVs is much easier than using a handset.

The values set are kept in a database and can be viewed at anytime from within DecoderPro, not just when the loco is on the programming track.

Keith

If you wish to retain the Multimaus, I'd recommend to upgrade the command unit to a Lenz LZV100. This gives you a very flexible system, which is compatible with most accessories on the market.

The Roco system isn't bad, but it is a bit of a dead end in upgrade terms and has limited compatibility with other DCC components. Looking at the the Multimaus Pro system specs, it's certainly a step up from the old system, but still looks like it needs a computer to get the best from it.

We came to the same conclusion a while back & decided to cut our losses & jump to the Lenz system while retaining the Multimauses (Multimice ? Multimause ?).

You have stated that you don't want to bring computers into it & I respect that, but what I will say is devices such as the Sprog really are by far the best way of programming & reading CV's. It will also almost certainly be the lowest cost option for you.

The advantage of using a Sprog/pc setup with decoder pro is that if the installation of the decoder is faulty then it will show up clearly with decoder pro not finding the loco, or if does find it give weird cv readings. In the last couple of years I have 2 incorrectly wired 8 pin sockets, a short in the depths of a loco, a stripped pick up wire bearing on the chassis and bear wires crossed on a loco tender connection. All would probably have resulted in a blown chip if I had used the Multimaus. Once you have set the address and the lights etc with decoder pro its easy enough to program start, mid and top speed live on the layout using the multimaus and then later read back to update the decoder pro file - on a small layout I go for a top Speed that looks right so if the throttle is turned right up the loco does not whizz off, one of those little commented on advantages of a dccc system over analogue.

Archived