Danemouth Esplanade

Danemouth

Some of you may remember Danemouth, the layout of a seaside terminus I started in 2009 but scrapped last September when I realised that the scenic development was  extremely limited to say the least. So I decided to start again sticking with a seaside terminus which is my favourite type of layout.  Danemouth Mk 1 was my first serious attempt at a layout and I learnt a considerable amount which will hopefully stand me in good stead for Mark 2.

My main interest is playing trains layout operation so the new plan had to give me plenty of scope for trains to be moving. I particularly liked the trackplans of Porthcawl and Newquay - this thread in the Layout and Track Design forum shows my thinking and the plan I developed. This involved a reduction in the number of boards and virtually no goods facilities - as Mike (Stationmaster) pointed out the lack of goods facilities would limit operational interest which was after much thought a killer for me.

So I started a fresh thread and with a great deal of help from several of you came up with a new plan, which is what will be built now.

I decided to use the boards from my original Danemouth layout - three 120 by 60cm boards with a 130 by 60cm sector plate at right angles on the left. These boards had wooden hinged legs which meant I had to crawl underneath the boards to wire things up; I've scrapped those legs and replaced them with Screwfix Trestles so that I can put the layout on its back to wire having disconnected the fiddle yard.

This is what the boards now look like - the permanent way gang have delivered the track ready for track laying to commence

post-7048-0-62569400-1357328038.jpg

post-7048-0-96989100-1357328038.jpg

post-7048-0-28921400-1357328039.jpg

post-7048-0-59567700-1357328039.jpg

The rationale and trackplan appear in my next post.

Dave

Location & Period

Danemouth”, somewhere on the South Coast, one of those seaside resorts that the Victorians loved. Danemouth is the terminus of a single track secondary line, about 10 miles from a juction on the South West Main Line. If the name seems familiar that’s because it’s from the Agatha Christie novel The Body in the Library

From Danemouth there is a small branch (more a twig) to St Mary Mead which has an autocoach service

It's a BR(W) line set between 1956 and 1964; this means I can run B & C coaches with early crest stock or Maroon coaches with Late Crest Steam locos and Green Diesels.

The trains from a passenger viewpoint will mainly be B-Sets and D-Sets running between the junction and Danemouth - the locos for these will in the steam era be mainly Prairies, 2251 and Granges. Some trains will be coaches detatched at the junction from mainline expresses for through traffic to Danemouth

The visible part of the layout is the station and goods yard - the loco facilities track to St Mary Mead etc. are "just the other side of the bridge".

post-7048-0-44375800-1357328484.jpg

The next step is to lay the track out roughly to ensure the design is o.k before I start cutting streamline track (Code 75) to length. Incidentally the layout will be DCC using a NCE Powercab, Cobalt point motors and AD1 & 4 decoders together with frog juicers all of which gave good running on Mk 1

Dave

p.s D-Set? found this in the GWR Modelling books by Steven Williams - two van third composites sandwiching a pair of composites.

Well, I laid the track including points on the baseboards and decided I didn't like the plan! Too much track particularly around the station. So I've spent the day trying alternatives including one by Jon_1066 posted as part of the Danemouth Design Thread. A single platform rather than two platforms seems to be better use of the space available with sufficient room for the backscene. So I am now considering this instead:

post-7048-0-99084100-1357676016.jpg

The goods sidings and headshunts do have a gentle curve not readily apparent in the plan.

Comments most welcome as always,

Dave

Well, I laid the track including points on the baseboards and decided I didn't like the plan! Too much track particularly around the station. So I've spent the day trying alternatives including one by Jon_1066 posted as part of the Danemouth Design Thread. A single platform rather than two platforms seems to be better use of the space available with sufficient room for the backscene. So I am now considering this instead:

attachicon.gifDanemouth v4.jpg

The goods sidings and headshunts do have a gentle curve not readily apparent in the plan.

Comments most welcome as always,

Dave

Dave

I finally got here - but you have me confused (no comments, please).

You say you abandoned Danemouth Mk.2 ver.1 because of 'too much track, particularly in the station' and yet by my reckoning you have the same number of turnouts in Danemouth Mk.2 ver.2, and the trackplan appears (to me anyway) to be virtually identical, save for the reduction in the number of platforms.

In addition, I don't think there would be much use for the short siding off the loop adjacent to Platform 1

As for the goods shed road, I would consider paving that, to allow vehicular access to your other crane/coal road as the yard sidings between the goods shed and 'main line' appear very close together for goods yard roads, unless they are just 'holding sidings' ?

Sorry to appear negative - but.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

With regard to your track plan have you thought about an adaption of Kingswear Station? As that had a large amount of traffic, but was fairly compact. Although 9-11ft is a lot, is isn't if you catch my drift! Barnstable Victoria might be another place to look as that is busy and could be rationalised.

I enjoy layout planning, although had complete writers block when I came to plan my own layout which was why I got someone else to do it! 

Regards,

Nick.

I agree with Brinkly on looking at Kingswear, one of the few if not the only single line and platformed BLT to get regular visits from Class 6 & 7 locos (Castles and Kings) and have a named train starting from it. (The Torbay Express). Also had the addvantage of said locos often only pulling 3-5 carriages.

I sometimes wonder if I should have based Wencombe on the end of the line and based the layout on Kingswear. If you've got CJ Freezer's Plans for Small Layouts he has an "L" shaped plan 12ftx8ft based on Kingswear> If you haven't got it PM me and I'll send it to you.

Firstly can I thank the three of you for providing really helpful responses so that I can get things just right!

You say you abandoned Danemouth Mk.2 ver.1 because of 'too much track, particularly in the station' and yet by my reckoning you have the same number of turnouts in Danemouth Mk.2 ver.2, and the trackplan appears (to me anyway) to be virtually identical, save for the reduction in the number of platforms.

In addition, I don't think there would be much use for the short siding off the loop adjacent to Platform 1

As for the goods shed road, I would consider paving that, to allow vehicular access to your other crane/coal road as the yard sidings between the goods shed and 'main line' appear very close together for goods yard roads, unless they are just 'holding sidings' ?

Brian,

The run round loops on the two platforms is based on Minehead - this had that short siding off the loop on both platforms. Had a look through my GWR books and this seems to be their standard practice - a quick trawl showed ony one station where it didn't happen - Blagdon which is far too small for my ideal operational needs!

I like the idea of paving the goods shed road - perhaps we can discuss it at the club!

I have the track laid out and am thinking of losing the headshunt and the bottom siding below the station - also considering losing the runround loop on Platform 1 and having a bay platform instead. I will alter the track and then work my way through the operational sequences.

With regard to your track plan have you thought about an adaption of Kingswear Station? As that had a large amount of traffic, but was fairly compact. Although 9-11ft is a lot, is isn't if you catch my drift! Barnstable Victoria might be another place to look as that is busy and could be rationalised.

Nick,

Danemouth Mk 1 was a very freelance version of Kingswear and I would have stuck with it if I hadn't made such a mess of the space for scenic development!

Hadn't seen that plan for Barnstaple so I am studying that with great interest and will doubtless incorporate features from it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I agree with Brinkly on looking at Kingswear, one of the few if not the only single line and platformed BLT to get regular visits from Class 6 & 7 locos (Castles and Kings) and have a named train starting from it. (The Torbay Express). Also had the addvantage of said locos often only pulling 3-5 carriages.

I sometimes wonder if I should have based Wencombe on the end of the line and based the layout on Kingswear. If you've got CJ Freezer's Plans for Small Layouts he has an "L" shaped plan 12ftx8ft based on Kingswear> If you haven't got it PM me and I'll send it to you.

Alan,

Kingswear is one of my favourite stations, as I said above the original Danemouth had that as its starting point - unfortunately the turntable took too much space.

Thanks for the offer of the CJF plans - as it happens I have that plan book. His plans assumes a 2' radius curve into the fiddle yard - as the garage in slightly under 7' wide my curve must be 2nd radius which means in needs to be hidden - damn!

So what next? this week I shall be trying your suggestions on the baseboards and suspect the track will develop into something nearer the old Danemouth with touches of Kingswear and Barnstaple :yes:

Again many thanks to all of you for your valuable assistance,

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

So what next? this week I shall be trying your suggestions on the baseboards and suspect the track will develop into something nearer the old Danemouth with touches of Kingswear and Barnstaple :yes:

Again many thanks to all of you for your valuable assistance

No problem Dave,

Are you able to squeeze an extra couple of feet length wise and about 6 inches width wise as I think you could make a rather interesting version of Barnstaple Victoria. If you like I'm happy to draw a couple of rough plans? 

Regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

I've always thought Kingswear made a lovely layout station with all its possible loco choices and trains.The scenery including the Dart would be a nice challenge and I'm sure I've seen a 2mm layout of this prototype at an exhibition.So like Westerner it would get my vote.

Alan,

Kingswear is one of my favourite stations, as I said above the original Danemouth had that as its starting point - unfortunately the turntable took too much space.

Thanks for the offer of the CJF plans - as it happens I have that plan book. His plans assumes a 2' radius curve into the fiddle yard - as the garage in slightly under 7' wide my curve must be 2nd radius which means in needs to be hidden - damn!

Dave

No Problem Dave.

No problem Dave,

Are you able to squeeze an extra couple of feet length wise and about 6 inches width wise as I think you could make a rather interesting version of Barnstaple Victoria. If you like I'm happy to draw a couple of rough plans? 

Regards,

Nick.

Nick,

The garage is comparatively small and there is no opportunity to increase the length or width of the layout - having the sector plate at 90 degrees to the main boards is also a pain but the only option open to me unless I limit the scenic area to 8' by 2'.

The usable scenic area is currently about 9' 9" with a width of 2' - also the entry into the scenic area is about 6" from the back of the boards because of second radius curve into the sector plate.

A couple of rough plans based on these dimensions would be most helpful to me and I am sure to others who are watching my progress (or lack of it!)

In an ideal world I would like to start laying the track next week,

Many thanks,

Dave

I've always thought Kingswear made a lovely layout station with all its possible loco choices and trains.The scenery including the Dart would be a nice challenge and I'm sure I've seen a 2mm layout of this prototype at an exhibition.So like Westerner it would get my vote.

Robin,

If only I had the room e.g. boards 3' wide and a scenic area of at least 15'

Ah well, dream on,

Regards,

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Over the past three weeks I have at last come up with a plan that provides the sort of operational potential I would like

post-7048-0-92177800-1360167935.jpg

And I have also laid the track; in these photos I've put some buildings in place from Danemouth Mk 1 just to give me a feel for the scenic opportunities - most of these buildings will be scrapped!

post-7048-0-47107700-1360167965.jpg

post-7048-0-25882500-1360167982.jpg

post-7048-0-98412500-1360167982.jpg

Incidentally the Dapol Western was used as this is the longest loco I own and I wanted to make sure the runaround was long enough!

Tomorrow the wiring starts - hope to complete this by the end of next week.

Regards,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Cobalt point motors fitted, layout wired and tested in six days! The control panel:

post-7048-0-04191100-1360936370.jpg

The Powercab socket is on the left. The top three switches isolate each of the three boards - the fiddle yard and a separate switch on that board. The left had of the bottom two switches isolates the programming track (Siding two on the plan) and the other switch isolates the points bus.

The two terminals allow me to plug in my rolling road or test a DCC accessory. They also enable me to try other DCC systems provided I unplug the two leads on the back of the Powercab sockets.

This photo shows part of the wiring on the centre board including the Cobalt point decoders and Hex Frog Juicers.

post-7048-0-87810800-1360936368.jpg

The wiring colours are:

• Red and black for the track bus and droppers,
  • Blue and brown for the point bus and droppers and
  • Yellow for the point frogs.

As with the previous incarnation of Danemouth I have an operational diagram to assist me remembering loco addresses point address and route macros

Danemouth Operational Diagram.pdf

Next job is to sort the fiddle yard out.

Regards,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly Dave, this is very impressive. Next, it's question time. I am starting on a first layout in almost 30 years and was a devotee of 2x1 framing, chipboard and wood fibre board plus inertia analogue controllers. I am coming up to date with plywood construction and DCC from the outset. So, can I ask you (or any other contributors who feel they can help) the following questions:

1 - Thickness of your plywood? I am guessing the bracing pieces are made from 9mm, is that the same for the deck too? I ask because I am thinking of 9mm for the support-work but 6mm for the (open) tops. My logic is that I am doing a multi-level scheme and with careful cutting, I can get nice smooth transitions into and out of gradients. The edges of each baseboard section would be made from 2 x 9mm thickness strips 100mm deep.

2 - PowerCab. How do you find it? I have bought one of the latest batch (never having used DCC before) and am looking forward to using it with the obvious proviso that I have to chip all my nice old steam locos.

3 - Peco Code 75. I think you have chosen this section, do you have any issues with it? I will be swapping all the wheels and axles on my old stock that are not Jackson / Romford to reduce the flanges.

4 - Cork underlay. I see you are using this and I guess it is because you have previous good experience with it. I want to go the same route but I'm not sure whether to use 1/16" or 1/8". Obviously the cost of 1/16" is less than 1/8" but is the height with 1/8" + ballast more appealing to the eye?

5 - Point motors. I have followed the threads on these for some time. I am tending towards Tortoise rather than Cobalt because I think there are more Cobalts returned as faulty than Tortoises.

Thanks in anticipation,

Tony

Tony,

1. Yes, the whole of the baseboards including the decking is 9 mm ply. My woodworking skills are poor so the boards were built for me by Trans12 (Peter Midwinter) of this parish. Had them over three years and no signs of warping - excellent bearing in mind that the garage has a wide temperature variation.

2. Been really pleased with the Powercab. As you know you need to use the straight lead (6 wire) rather than the 4 wire curly lead. However I bought one of these recently  curly 6 wire which I find more convenient - you can't tread on the lead.

3. No issues with Code 75 but the 90 degree turn into the fiddleyard is Settrack 2nd radius with 75/100 joining tracks at each end. Points have been modified for DCC operation and the springs removed to work with the Cobalt motors.

4. Bought a couple of rolls of 1/16 cork from my local model shop. Stuck down with Wickes Flooring Adhesive aerosol.

5. I've been pleased with the Cobalt motors and encountered no problems. Like their decoders as well. As you can see from the photos I am also a big fan of the Hex Frog Juicers which made wiring the double slip a piece of cake.

Currently testing the track and circuits prior to starting the landscaping - it's easier to do it now than after ballasting!

Hope this helps - pleased to answer any more questions you may have,

Regards,

Dave

Tony,

1. Yes, the whole of the baseboards including the decking is 9 mm ply. My woodworking skills are poor so the boards were built for me by Trans12 (Peter Midwinter) of this parish. Had them over three years and no signs of warping - excellent bearing in mind that the garage has a wide temperature variation.

2. Been really pleased with the Powercab. As you know you need to use the straight lead (6 wire) rather than the 4 wire curly lead. However I bought one of these recently  curly 6 wire which I find more convenient - you can't tread on the lead.

3. No issues with Code 75 but the 90 degree turn into the fiddleyard is Settrack 2nd radius with 75/100 joining tracks at each end. Points have been modified for DCC operation and the springs removed to work with the Cobalt motors.

4. Bought a couple of rolls of 1/16 cork from my local model shop. Stuck down with Wickes Flooring Adhesive aerosol.

5. I've been pleased with the Cobalt motors and encountered no problems. Like their decoders as well. As you can see from the photos I am also a big fan of the Hex Frog Juicers which made wiring the double slip a piece of cake.

Currently testing the track and circuits prior to starting the landscaping - it's easier to do it now than after ballasting!

Hope this helps - pleased to answer any more questions you may have,

Regards,

Dave

Thanks for your prompt response Dave.

I have enough woodworking kit to make the baseboards myself and, with open plan construction in mind, I need to do the decks myself!

Nice idea about the curly 6-wire, I think I will do the same as soon as I am up and running. 

My intended plan has a minimum radius of 610mm inside a shed with a usable area of 3500 x 2900 so that is achievable with Streamline but I will be very careful to ensure that my inner and outer rail joints are well staggered to try and avoid future potential deformations.

As for the cork, I really would like to get 2000 x 1000 sheets so I can maximise the recovery. As a former Marine Engineer, we used to use something made by Walkers Packing & Jointing of Woking that was called NEBAR. This was a bonded cork jointing material that cut cleanly and, if I went with the 1/8" thickness, I could cut the edge at a 45deg chamfer.

I don't think there is much difference between the prices of Cobalts and Tortoises. A digital specialist supplier located close to the Meridian made the comments at the recent MKMRS show based upon their experience. I am glad you reminded me about removing the over-centre spring facility! 

Hex-Frog Juicers may be necessary as I think I will have 3 Double Slips and around 15 other turn-outs although not everyone seems to use juicers?

I hope to be posting an outline plan before Easter.

Regards,

Tony

Good luck with the layout Tony,

When I built Danemouth Mk 1 the wiring of the double slip worried me. The Code 75 DS has four wires as you may know - wiring the two for the track bus presented no issues but the two for the frog switching did. As it happens the frog juicer came out about this time and so my problem was resolved easily!

Remember that if you wish to remove the springs from the DS they are underneath unlike the points. TBH I left them in place and now get a helpful click when the DS changes.

Look forward to seeing your plans,

Regards,

Dave

• 6 months later...

I haven't posted on this thread for a while but things have been happening, albeit slowly, since the last posting.

Some playing trains operational testing revealed that the goods shed and adjacent siding were a pig to shunt since they could only be accessed from siding 2.

After much head scratching (easy with my haircut) I decided on  second double slip - perhaps not prototypically correct but resolved my problems. In real life these would have doubtless been a pair of points - if only I had the space.....

So the trackplan is now

post-7048-0-08296000-1378825261.jpg

I've tried all the Metcalfe stations on the layout but they didn't scream GWR so I shelled out on the Bachmann Highley Station

post-7048-0-65577400-1378825288.jpg

post-7048-0-10778100-1378825289.jpg

The goods shed is still Metcalfe for the time being and the tunnel the exit to the fiddle yard

post-7048-0-66621200-1378825289.jpg

The sector plate was never a roaring success so I've replaced it with  fan of small Setrack points

post-7048-0-20824200-1378825290.jpg

Looking at the layout overall the buildings are not in their final positions

post-7048-0-65224700-1378825290.jpg

Next job? Build platforms and slightly raise the roadway at the back of the layout

Dave

Archived