Tanners hill flydown (St Johns)

• RMweb Gold

Doubling the flydown/flyover/that slopy line on the right. Do we need a proper thread for this?

Ah thanks, and yes please... I'll report this and ask the mods to make it a proper thread if thats ok?

Andi

• RMweb Gold

More work in progress today. They are relaying the bottom end of the existing flydown track. Presumably it will be slewed to the new alignment at a later stage.

8375816981_97c9b20128_b.jpg

RIMG1193 by unravelled, on Flickr

More in the set http://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/sets/72157624069811241/with/8375816981/

Thanks

Dave

This bridge has a history of strife, just as a historical note, the original brick arch bridge shown in the 1980 photos was demolished as part of the Networker clearance / platform extension works. However, because of the incorrect method used (basically the lowest (north) arch being removed first), it collapsed and killed two of the contractors' staff stood under it.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

This weekend the tracks are being relaid to their final configuration. From Tuesday the flydown should be in operation in double tracked form.

Latest pictures, (about the last month) in

For the full set going back 3 years, see

http://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/4664116663/in/set-72157624069811241/

I'll be adding more to the sets as the weekend goes on.

Thanks

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

As I sat on my up train this morning, we were delayed at St Johns on the up CHX line, while a train went up (in a down direction!) the flydown on the new track. That's the first time I've spotted this happening. Couldn't see whether this was a ecs working or a scheduled service because of where we were stopped- and where I was sitting.

• RMweb Gold

As I sat on my up train this morning, we were delayed at St Johns on the up CHX line, while a train went up (in a down direction!) the flydown on the new track. That's the first time I've spotted this happening. Couldn't see whether this was a ecs working or a scheduled service because of where we were stopped- and where I was sitting.

That was why the original was single-line - the trains were pathed to go with the flow, up in the morning, down in the evening. Inevitably use opposing the flow will sometimes cause a problem, although the down movements should be timed to parallel the up, so no extra delay. Solve one problem, cause another. Somewhere this must all go back to Cannon St ECS no longer being able to go via Blackfriars carr roads and on to Stew Lane, due to intensive Thameslink services. Some of those trains no longer run to Cannon, their hapless passengers being transported to St Pancreas instead. I think if BR had ever attempted such a change of travel patterns, there'd have been Questions in the House!

to be fair there was an up train too, shortly before - but that doesn't normally delay my train either - not sure why , but it may have been that my train was actually slightly early because we arrived at London Bridge pretty much on time (and that's within a minute or so, as opposed to the "statistical" 5 minutes)

Archived