The Stationmaster Goes Train Spotting Part 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I did take photos of diesels and this is a few to whet the appetite - albeit with some far from good shots alas.  But they're history.

First a couple of views from the car park at Maidenhead as D7059 heading a freight on the Up Relief meets D800 on the Down Main, 07 December 1963

post-6859-0-97787300-1358190193_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-51923000-1358190248_thumb.jpg

And repeated from another thread D7065 shunting stock at Henley-On-Thames on 17 June 1963

post-6859-0-07031400-1358190331_thumb.jpg

Now back to 7 December 1963 and D1066 passes Twyford 

post-6859-0-23726300-1358190405_thumb.jpg

And finally for this initial selection - keeping the best 'til last in my view - D1071 departs Paddington with the 14.10 for Birkenhead on 06 January 1964.

post-6859-0-16556800-1358190511_thumb.jpg

To come will be some very new and shiny diesel electrics, not scanned in time for me to go to dinner.

• RMweb Gold

Dinner just completed in Gloucestershire Mike - cant wait to see other gems!

Kind regards

Phil

Me too Mike.More for the infrastructure than the diesels.By the way,is that your car in the first photo.You were not exactly Ivo Peters back then were you. :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

Hydraulics! Excellent, Mike. No need to bother with the diesel-electrics  :no:

Any idea of the story behind the Hymek and Mk 1s at Henley? Was it a regular working?

David

If you look at my new thread about the last steam passenger workings at Henley David all will be answered - that was the first Hymek to work in on the evening of the first day and was thence a frequent appearer.  There will be more Hymeks at Henley to come when I've got them scanned.

Two thing first Mike - 1) can I reserve a space in the car park for this thread? And 2), it's a fair bet that your 'like' button is going to get a damned good thrashing before the week's out, so I suggest you get a few spares in just in case!

Fantastic glimpses of history there, photos from the early Diesel Hydraulic period in the Thames Valley are surprisingly uncommon so it's a joy to see these aired here for us all to drool over, I can't wait to see what else apepars.... the thought of more Hymek shots at Henley has already got the taste buds tingling :D

Edit : D1071 departing Padd in January '64... quite an early shot of 'Renown' there as it had only been in traffic since 7th November the previous year, and already it's got a general coating of grime, although not as bad as some others. Did you spend the whole day there Mike (assuming you can remember of course!)...?

• RMweb Gold

Two thing first Mike - 1) can I reserve a space in the car park for this thread? And 2), it's a fair bet that your 'like' button is going to get a damned good thrashing before the week's out, so I suggest you get a few spares in just in case!

Fantastic glimpses of history there, photos from the early Diesel Hydraulic period in the Thames Valley are surprisingly uncommon so it's a joy to see these aired here for us all to drool over, I can't wait to see what else apepars.... the thought of more Hymek shots at Henley has already got the taste buds tingling :D

Edit : D1071 departing Padd in January '64... quite an early shot of 'Renown' there as it had only been in traffic since 7th November the previous year, and already it's got a general coating of grime, although not as bad as some others. Did you spend the whole day there Mike (assuming you can remember of course!)...?

Almost certainly just passing through Padd that day Nidge - I took two pics of D1071 but the other was an attempt at panning and was a major success at how not to do it, with camera shake.  All sorts of odd things might be on the negs if I can find them - all these scans are done from small prints so far.

• RMweb Gold

Great thread, Mike, many thanks!

Did you and your camera ever get over to the former GER?

Best, Pete.

Sort of Pete - but not much apart from a Brit at Norwich.  next time I went was in the early '90s after some specific signals.

BTW one & all an update to this Part 1 will follow this evening (if she gets off the 'puter) with more D10XX entertainment for grown ups

• RMweb Gold

Right, back to work and time to add to Part 1 (there will be a Part 2 as well, might get a bit steamy ... hint, hint).  Oh and a reminder that all of the pictures I am posting are my original copyright and please - as I'm sure everyone will - respect that and do not reproduce them etc without my permission.

So I'll start at Twyford with a few passing trains including a few poorly framed ones to show a bit of the wider railway infrastructure of only a few years ago (that's how it feels to me).  First off is D1016 on the Up Main on 15.06.63

post-6859-0-44029100-1358281596_thumb.jpg

Then D1015 on the Down Main with a Royal - originally I thought (I was probably told) that it was an ECS but the headcode suggests that it might not be.  Anyway it's 10.50 in the morning on the same day - 15.06.63 

post-6859-0-46343400-1358281742_thumb.jpg

Now we'll leap forward a year to 25.06.64 where we find D1018 on the Down 'Golden Hind'

post-6859-0-08266200-1358281839_thumb.jpg 

And D1044 on a return Newbury Races special - a few years later this was the train number/headcode used for the Members' train but I don't know the exact identity of this one, plenty of Twyford detail in the wider areas of the view - delve in for a look.

post-6859-0-79150500-1358281997_thumb.jpg

I must have had a trip out that day as next in the list is D1050 on the Up Main at Cholsey (where I probably went to photograph signals)

post-6859-0-30284100-1358282063_thumb.jpg

Now further west, and back to the 19th of the same month, we see D1037 rolling into Swindon with a train of milk empties

post-6859-0-91688000-1358282215_thumb.jpg

And even further west we find D1051 on the Down Main at Port Talbot on 21 June - a day in South Wales as you'll find out below

post-6859-0-48329500-1358282267_thumb.jpg

But first something completely different as we are in Newcastle on 20 August 1963 looking at a very shiny D1502

post-6859-0-02347300-1358282434_thumb.jpg

And now we'll stay with those shiny Brush Type 4s as we visit Canton on 21 June 1964 seeing first D1584 and D1589 outside the servicing shed

post-6859-0-60787500-1358282577_thumb.jpg

And just to their right was an equally shiny D1593

post-6859-0-01462000-1358282620_thumb.jpg

But a look back from further east revealed D1000 at the head of a line of the Brush 4s - looking quite comfortable amid those threats to its future

post-6859-0-03698000-1358282695_thumb.jpg

And as I headed west behind D1051 here's a quick view of the much emptier west end of Canton depot

post-6859-0-09464300-1358282751_thumb.jpg

Time in the quick turnround at Port Talbot to catch D6931 on a train of hot rolled coil in the Down Loop by the station

post-6859-0-12977500-1358282825_thumb.jpg

And then back at Cardiff what should I see but a very shiny looking D6898 coming off the Barry line with a banana special - which it worked as far as Swindon

post-6859-0-60923400-1358282936_thumb.jpg

And to round this post out back to 250664 and on the Up Goods at the east end of Reading we find a much grubbier looking D1736

post-6859-0-50183000-1358283042_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-23258400-1358281882_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Glorious collection of banana vans on that special at Cardiff. Looks like no two alike. Even a Southern one as the third vehicle in the train. That livery was certainly the best on EE Type 3s, especially when just out of the box. Barking Bill has some nice shots of green Type 3s in his Flickr collection.

Enjoying these pictures, Mike. Hope there's more!

David

• RMweb Gold

Glorious collection of banana vans on that special at Cardiff. Looks like no two alike. Even a Southern one as the third vehicle in the train. That livery was certainly the best on EE Type 3s, especially when just out of the box. Barking Bill has some nice shots of green Type 3s in his Flickr collection.

David

You weren't listening to the Wurzels at the time were you? :D

There is another banana train to come David - again with a bit of a mixture of van profiles (and a smoke screen at the front end ;) )  There will definitely be some more tomorrow although whether I will have many is a bit questionable as I have a few (sorry only a few) more diesel pics to scan and non-Western steam but the handful of a.c electrics are 'in the can' - proper livery but alas not in colour.

And as far as the combine harvester is concerned I'm not sure if the Wurzels were around in the summer that new 'Warships' were starting to appear with 4 character headcode panels?  (and yes, I was but a lad - I had to drive the combine because I couldn't manage the sacks for backing the grain).

David

Those banana vans would last into the mid-1970s in South Wales, long after the banana traffic had left Barry; they would be used, in groups of half-a-dozen or so, as fitted heads on coal trains from Llantrisant and elsewhere. I've done a 'tribute' rake- the SR one can be modelled using the Ratio even-planked SR van with end-vents deleted, an extra set of door hinges and ABS SR 8-shoe brakegear.

More, please!    Any idea what the T headcode on D1066 refers to?

Many thanks,

Bill

Without checking I think it was either Gloucester or somewhere in South Wales  (and after checking I can confirm that it was Newport and Gloucester Districts). 

At this time T was Cardiff district, Gloucester was K (edit: after checking the relevant WTT 6T15 was the 1.10pm Southall to Rogerstone which ran as 7T15 from Severn Tunnel junction).

I love the picture of the Western on the milk empties to the South West. The usual mottely collection of vehicles behind the loco including a 2000 gallon tank. I also loved the picture of the EE type 3 on the coil train. Great stuff. I shall look forward to more. 

There is another banana train to come David - again with a bit of a mixture of van profiles (and a smoke screen at the front end ;) )  There will definitely be some more tomorrow although whether I will have many is a bit questionable as I have a few (sorry only a few) more diesel pics to scan and non-Western steam but the handful of a.c electrics are 'in the can' - proper livery but alas not in colour.

And as far as the combine harvester is concerned I'm not sure if the Wurzels were around in the summer that new 'Warships' were starting to appear with 4 character headcode panels?  (and yes, I was but a lad - I had to drive the combine because I couldn't manage the sacks for backing the grain).

Maybe not the Wurzels but Adge Cutler would have been quite young back then though.

I do like the Western Hydraulic shots. Great locos they are/were.

Archived