The last Mk1 rake in BR maroon in the 1970s...

Mel_H

I stumbled across this picture on Flickr, taken in June 1973, of an all-maroon Mk1 rake in service, which begs the question, how long did it last?

Indeed, by this period even the odd non blue-grey coaches were relatively rare, surely? And, I presume that this rake wasn't just hanging around for extras, but in everyday service.

I'm sure the answer must be out there!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidhayes/8136012290/in/pool-brblue|davidhayes

Mel

This is being discussed at length in at least one other place.  You'll need to trawl through, but it's all in here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52572-why-is-this-so-rarely-modelled/

...........and here:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53973-last-rolling-stock-in-br-maroon/

This is being discussed at length in at least one other place.  You'll need to trawl through, but it's all in here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52572-why-is-this-so-rarely-modelled/

Chard,

You beat me to it, saw the OP within seconds of it being posted and thought I know about that, then took ages to sign in ete etc - aren't some network connections really slow ?

• RMweb Premium

Well-chewed fat but basically the Derby set ran in revenue service as and when required and quite regularly on summer Saturdays.  There were some green Mk1s running into the 1970s as well.

..................  There were some green Mk1s running into the 1970s as well.

You can't post something like that without pics................ :D

I know about the green BSKs on the Woodhead turns but were there others ?

Andy

• RMweb Premium

The Woodhead ones might have also strayed.  I wasn't photographing at the time but I was with the well-known author John Vaughan and others at Bristol Temple Meads late in 1970 when a cross-country train arrived from the west including a green vehicle.  I'm sure he raised his camera to it though of course I have no idea whether the image was ever used and it would almost certainly have been monochrome as that is his preference.

I remember maroon coaching stock in Kirkland yard ( Leven, Fife ) possibly 1975-77 the windows were smashed and the seats were ripped ( the story was they had been vandalised on a football special ) two sets of coaches filled two roads at the yard, not all of them were maroon some were two tone blue. They lay there for two weeks and presumably went for repair, what made it so memorable was everything else had coal in it - 16ton,21ton or 241/2ton mineral wagons or if you got really lucky some box vans for "Methil" goods station.

ISTR posting about the Crewe set on here before. They used to sit on the up side sidings, south of Crewe station and were certainly still there when I left the WCML in early 1975. They weren't as shiny as the set shown on the flikr site.

I used to see the 'red set' passing Breaston, between Trent and Derby, usually with Sulzer Type 2 haulage (excuse the outdated terminology), but at least once with 2 EE type 1s. I only lived there from May 1974 to March 1976, but I can't remember a date for the last time I noticed them.

• RMweb Premium

You can't post something like that without pics................ :D

I know about the green BSKs on the Woodhead turns but were there others ?

Andy

Hi Andy

The well filmed green BSK on the Woodhead was one of many SR coaches that were swapped with dual heated coaches from the other regions on the lead up to the electrification of the Bournemouth services. Steam heated only coaches were sent northwards and many where in green. The ETH fitted coaches were needed so the Type 3 Bo-Bos could keep the passengers warm after the withdrawal of the steam locos. Some may have been swaps for sock being converted to 4 TC and 4 REP units.

There were also some Bullied coaches that were transferred to the other regions. Many of these were repainted maroon. They seem to have been an earlier move.

For more details if you are interested contact Natalie Jones, she seems to have the types and numbers of the coaches that were transferred and which ones were known to be still in green.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

A sort of mystery here, I posted the slide I'be just bought below in this thread, so apols for doing this in stereo, perhaps the two threads should be merged.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53973-last-rolling-stock-in-br-maroon/

The slide is dated July 1977, and The Derby Sulzers website states that 25 132 and 25 118 worked the 1E85 Derby-Skegness on that date, so sort of confirmation, the photo is of course at Derby. The slide states its 25 132+118.

Beast States (post 4) that the red set lasted till 1977/8, but Robert Carroll's coaching stock yahoo group state it was gone by 1975. Clearly the red set in the slide, but what is the year?

Discuss ....

post-6925-0-20981700-1413582424_thumb.jpg

Neil

• RMweb Gold

A shot of 25132 from Flickr is dated 2 Feb 1978 has dominoes and a new paint job.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/5805500504

According to Derby Sulzers it was in the works Nov/Dec 77, which would tie in with it being freshly painted.

Edited to delete incorrectly inserted photo, it's been a long day.

• RMweb Premium

A sort of mystery here, I posted the slide Ive just bought below in this thread, so apols for doing this in stereo, perhaps the threads should be merged.

The slide is dated July 1977, and The Derby Sulzers state that 25 132 and 25 118 worked the 1E85 Derby-Skegness in that date, so sort of confirmation, the photo is of course at Derby. The slide States its 25 132+118.

Beast States (post 4) that the red set lasted till 1977/8, but Robert Carroll's coaching stock yahoo group state it was gone by 1975. Clearly the red set in the slide.

Discuss ....

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Neil

Hi Neil

The lead loco is displaying a headcode, these were dicontinued in 1976*. Most locos having their display wound to 0000 and the handles removed until they were refitted with dominos. Seeing headcode being displayed and that the locos have TOPS numbers I would say this is a 1975 photo.

What we want is an ex-Skeggy basher to tell us when 25 132 and 25 118 were used on a Skeggy train.

* displayed headcodes did last a little longer on some suburban routes like the GER and the Bed-Pan line a wee bit longer.

Archived