Examples of my weathering...

rs4

Well spotted.

The ends glue onto the cargowaggon and in all honesty are very brittle (there is nothing to attach them to, just the footprint of the end itself onto the wagon base)

This one came off when fitting the tail light. I will need to gum it up with paint to hide it.

I think the 3D printed ends are better in that respect - no disrespect to Andy here, I suggested to Matthew that there were two teeth added to slot into the existing hole on the wagons to give strength / something to go into. I'm not sure whether that was implemented though.

Very awkward to manipulate logs, cables, or just when painting without catching the ends or a stanchion and off they come...

Thanks Alex, life seems to get in the way of these projects.....

Been fitting straps this morning, just a few more to go....

Using a mixture of black, brown and yellow insulation tape.

post-1261-0-31878400-1420373479_thumb.jpg

I have strayed off project and started work on an SPA...always a distraction around the corner....

Work tomorrow.,yum..

• Like 13

Thanks Bob, and thanks for the likes etc.

Funny isn't it...looking back - you forget the time spent doing stuff. Call it 15-20 hours I would think to load, strap etc these.

Add the build time on too.....

Seems like a walk in the park now, but it wasn't !

Just considering applying some matt varnish to cover some excess glue and maybe tone the straps down a bit - after that I will deem them complete.....cue video...but in the meantime all 10 here:

post-1261-0-91784700-1420405371_thumb.jpg

Thanks go to:

Andy7 and his brother Thesmudge for the laser cut ends and stanchions.

I believe Wild Boar now have an upgraded offering as 3D prints

Heljan for base wagon

Mick (of New Bryford) for moral support and tips.

All other rmwebbers for egging me on.

Local forestry commission forest (ex forest) for lumber

"Next" ; //

Edited by rs4
  • Like 12

Managed to reach the office today.Duly assembled KFA log carriers. It wasn't all successful.Many derailments caused by the swinging and drooping couplings.Anyway, I went back, oiled wheels, oiled coupling area (fair play, it can become less fluid with weathering). Even changed a few to Hornby close couplers.Result..... 8 out of 10 worked a treat. So, 2 sidelined "cripple"Bachmann 66 let me down, couldn't find a colas 56 to start so unusually it's a 60.First up though photos of complete set with a 56 at helm;

post-1261-0-82662600-1420989673_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-24249800-1420989693_thumb.jpg

So, the 56 had failed and we had 2 errant wagons - both sidelined at "Wibblehead Viaduct". You'll see them in the video....

For some reason I can't upload in HD....

PLEASED that eventually they ran OK, after all the time you put in then end up with a train you can't run......

• Like 16

Managed to reach the office today.Duly assembled KFA log carriers. It wasn't all successful.Many derailments caused by the swinging and drooping couplings.Anyway, I went back, oiled wheels, oiled coupling area (fair play, it can become less fluid with weathering). Even changed a few to Hornby close couplers.Result..... 8 out of 10 worked a treat. So, 2 sidelined "cripple"Bachmann 66 let me down, couldn't find a colas 56 to start so unusually it's a 60.First up though photos of complete set with a 56 at helm;

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

So, the 56 had failed and we had 2 errant wagons - both sidelined at "Wibblehead Viaduct". You'll see them in the video....

PLEASED that eventually they ran OK, after all the time you put in then end up with a train you can't run......

Superb modelling! "Wibblehead Viaduct" made me chuckle.

Regards,

Ed

Thanks for the "likes" and comments. Appreciated. Certainly helps in making it worthwhile !

Moving on I've been considering the gypsum containers.

The key issue has been the transfers.

So, I've started with the easy bits first. Most have a yellow square (hollow centre) and the GBRF / europorte sticker.

I gave them a go at the weekend.

Square - easy to draw that up (used illustrator)

GBRF - robbed off the net and shrunk.

The square I printed onto clear crafty computer paper. Issue ? Virtually invisible against the blue.

Clearly the GBRF logo needed to be done on white.

So, take 2 today. White paper for both. Hoping it might give more depth to the yellow, but it means fine cutting as you don't want to see any white....

So, trial attempts attached. LH one has the middle cut out. RH version has blue printed in the middle.

post-1261-0-25719700-1421087025_thumb.jpg

Overall, I think it could work.

So, next the numbering....that could be difficult, it may need printing on white but with a blue background to match the container ? Otherwise I can't see it being visible..

Not totally sure the transfers will adhere or lay completely flat due to the nature of the print, and using microsol seems to dissolve the protective film I've sprayed over the water based ink.... I'll be varnishing them when dry....

I'm not going to get tooooo hung up about this, they will have a good coat of muck over them...but I will know the transfers are there... It all adds to the model.

3 mins until Great Railway Journeys ! Good relaxing TV to watch post work.

Best Regards

Nick

• Like 9

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I like the darker duller colours, very photographic standard. 

You may have noticed the Internet slowed down just a touch this morning.

I was busy looking out photos of gypsum containers.

Some candidates selected and numbers noted inside the boxes.

I've cut out some plastic sheet for the ones that have (or had) the British gypsum markings on them. Superglued in place.

Few if any have those left, but I am planning on applying to all of them and just weathering them away for the ones that have nothing left.

post-1261-0-63105200-1421574579_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

So.... Next up I sprayed the plating I've applied:

post-1261-0-34720600-1421595512_thumb.jpg

Then I've mocked up the logo:

post-1261-0-47121800-1421595534_thumb.jpg

Sprayed with sealer and left to dry and a quick application to two containers as a test:

post-1261-0-08063900-1421595612_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-18932200-1421595624_thumb.jpg

Looks ok. I decided to print on the White transfer paper, so Ive picked a blue background. I think after weathering the difference between that and the base colour won't be that noticeable.

Slowly coming together.

• Like 11

Thanks again for the comments and "likes". Appreciated.

I think JohnH wins the prize for the most in a day...

Moving on, I've made up further transfers for the TECtainers, the website, the container number.

The issue so far is the white line around the transfers - effectively where you've cut.

I've painted around that today and I think it sort of solves the problem. In an ideal world I would have the blue background colour the same as humbrol 109, but when they've been weathered I don't think its gonna matter, indeed a lot of this stuff simply won't be seen on the inner sides of the containers anyway !

post-1261-0-46575600-1422120694_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-81823400-1422120713_thumb.jpg

Tedious work, but it all contributes to the overall look and dare I say authenticity ?

It will be fun weathering these babies.

Regards

Nick

Edited by rs4
  • Like 8