Farish progress on 2013/2014 models - link to pictures

oreamnos

Farish did pretty well on providing Green Mark 1s with appropriate numbers (I have sets 518 and 525 made up from the released versions) all we can do is hope for the same level of knowledge and detail for the Bulleids.

Selling two BSKs and a CK in a set box is an interesting idea - if Hornby can do it for their Maunsells then why can't Farish?

Thanks for posting those.  They all look very nice.

The apparent overly "squinty-eyed" look to the windscreen of the Cl 55 model - just curious if others think the same?

I do not mean to imply I don't think the model is a vast improvement over the old Farish one because quite to the contrary I think it looks great.  But compared to the mental picture I have of a Class 55 after looking at countless photos and KOYLI closely in person a couple years ago at the NRM, the model's windscreens just seem to be slightly more narrow from top to bottom than they should be.

Even if they are, this is a minor quibble and nothing more.

Matt

For some reason (wishful thinking I suppose)  I got it into my head that the retooled 55 would be the ideal candidate for the first RTR DCC with sound UK loco.....

Or was it just me, with too much thinking time on my hands?!....

Angus

For some reason (wishful thinking I suppose)  I got it into my head that the retooled 55 would be the ideal candidate for the first RTR DCC with sound UK loco.....

Or was it just me, with too much thinking time on my hands?!....

Angus

Maybe it was all those radiator fans looking so much like subwoofers?

• RMweb Gold

Hello Grahame,

Thanks for posting the photographs - very nice.

In answer to another question, the new Class 57s will definitely have the Dellner details fitted in each end; the original tool was designed to allow this (as it was in OO) but it has taken a while for the production schedule to open up.

I am surprised they aren't doing a proper Virgin liveried Dellner Thunderbird loco too, though there isn't a Pendolino for it to pull...

cheers

Ben A.

As someone who followed the last 2 years of the Deltics (I missed out on the Westerns :O ) I will be getting 22 of these (painted and Mercig transformed as I just love the Deltics.

However I cant help but agree with Oreamnos, I think the cab front windows are too thin but I think the issue is one that cannot be cured easily. I think its the angle of the top of the nose that's too steep on its upwards climb. This could be causing the windows to be too narrow due to lack of space left.

see the pic attached to understand what I mean.

also the bottom edge of the window doesn't look to be curved either

seeing it in the flesh it just didn't seem right. (blinking nice) but not quite there. Maybe its my age. lol

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-87830700-1370347748_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-73589200-1370347776.jpg

post-1144-0-42624800-1370347793_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

That duchess looks sensational!

Paul A.

I entirely agree, so hope an OO scale version will appear in due course.

However I cant help but agree with Oreamnos, I think the cab front windows are too thin but I think the issue is one that cannot be cured easily. I think its the angle of the top of the nose that's too steep on its upwards climb. This could be causing the windows to be too narrow due to lack of space left.

see the pic attached to understand what I mean.

also the bottom edge of the window doesn't look to be curved either

Not sure what the cause is Dave, but I agree the cab windows look a bit squashed, somehow.

The pic of the real loco has polished window surrounds on the cab front windows,

The pic of the model does not appear to and I do wonder if this makes the windows of the model look smaller?

I don't think it is that - the thickness of the frame to the roof line and below doesn't appear in proportion (a bit too thick on the model) which means the windows look a little narrow. Probably not much in it, but enough to notice. However, painting the window surround/frame a light colour would help to make it look bigger.

G.

• RMweb Premium

However I cant help but agree with Oreamnos, I think the cab front windows are too thin but I think the issue is one that cannot be cured easily. I think its the angle of the top of the nose that's too steep on its upwards climb.

That's precisely the error that has always spoiled the Bachmann 4mm version for me, but the shape is very subtle and the nose certainly isn't as flat as some commentators asserted at the time that model was released.  I thought when I saw the unpainted Farish engineering prototype at Warley that they'd done a much better job this time (Andy Y's photo reproduced below), so I'm not inclined to despair on the basis of one photo. 

One well-known problem is the Bachmann habit of moulding frames onto the windscreen glazing without increasing the size to compensate and that would be exacerbated if they've put paint on the frames (they need to do something about the paint depth on the quarter light BTW as it isn't nearly opaque enough).  The windscreen transparency also seems to be too deeply recessed, but that could well just be an assembly error that they'll tweak like the fans.

There seems to be a bit more clearance between the bogie frames and the sides too - I hope this isn't another case of the Bachmann engineers backing off and between prototype and production.

post-6813-0-48007700-1370370536_thumb.jpg

I think it could be that the frames appear to be moulded onto the windscreens, but who cares its a Deltic event though I model LMS I have a prototype deltic in my fleet and what a stunner it is. I wish I still had my old Lima model of Meld.

If Farrish releases meld in two tone green and with the small yellos panels I will get one and sneak it past the domestic overlord

Is DapolDave contractually allowed to comment on and advise Farish!!! I often wonder at the shows whether it's all cold hard stares across the aisles, a sort of cold war. Or when the shows over is it really beers all round?

I would imagine it's too late now anyway,

the second EP has been produced and painted samples shown. Its a shame, but I suppose that's what modelling is about.....if it upsets the eye too much either don't buy, or pick up the scalpel and filler etc and adjust to suit.

Whatever my comments it's a cracking model and will be the 'definitive' one for many a year.

As for communications? we do chat, but I wouldn't ever dare to presume I could advise, and I think it might be wrong to do so.

Cheers

Dave

Aside from the Deltic (personally I don't understand the fuss about them, like the Blue Pullman, I guess long gone by the time I took an interest in trains as a child, and not old enough to provoke my historical interest), the J39 has been in painted sample stage for AGES, but I don't remember seeing a delivery date?

The Polybulk is looking very good though - I wonder if it will look OK running with the NGS Grainflow ones I've built, or whether it'll just show up the ropier bits of my modelling?

• 4 weeks later...

Aside from the Deltic (personally I don't understand the fuss about them, like the Blue Pullman, I guess long gone by the time I took an interest in trains as a child, and not old enough to provoke my historical interest), the J39 has been in painted sample stage for AGES, but I don't remember seeing a delivery date?

The Polybulk is looking very good though - I wonder if it will look OK running with the NGS Grainflow ones I've built, or whether it'll just show up the ropier bits of my modelling?

According to the Bachmann Website the J39s are down for Oct/Nov delivery.

It has been a long wait, by the time mine arrive they will have been on preorder for well over two years.

From the look of the finished models though, it looks like the wait will be worth it!

Roy

• 1 month later...

Archived