GWR locos: Hornby Grange or Bachmann Hall - which is better?

• RMweb Premium

I was just curious how people's opinions between the Hornby Grange and the Bachmann Hall, which is the better loco? I don't think that people should take into the liveries that they are in into account because it's not really important.

Well I've got a few of both models an I think there both equally good! This is before Hornby started to go down the cost saving route so the grange is a nice well built model with great detail! I've always had a soft spot for the Bachmann hall tho I think they have done a great job on the collet version an I think Hornby will be hard pushed to make a better one when it comes out later this year!

Regards Neil

I don't model GWR/WR but do have a Hornby Grange which I bought on sale from UK.  I remember reading the Model Rail publication British Model Trains that said the Grange is excellent on detail, but the Bachmann Hall has more pulling power.  So how many wagons/coaches are you planning to pull.  On level track though the Grange can pull 7-8 coaches and 30 wagons quite easily and is a nice runner.

Hope this helps

But I like the look of the Hall better, just something about them.  Not that you can tell one GWR loco from another.

Mark in Oz

They are both very good models, but I think the Hornby Grange just edges it for me.

Despite being Hornby's first high spec/detail GWR locomotive, it seems to be a bit of an underrated "unsung hero" - a bit like the prototype really.

I see the Hornby Grange as father to the excellent Hornby Castle and 28XX models.

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby 'Grange' is an excellent detail model - top class and one of Hornby's 'at their best' locos in my view so I only hope this year's repeat version (deferred from 2012) will be as good.  But the Bachmann 'Hall' is no slouch and I reckon it is a pretty good representation of a 'Hall' especially when viewed from a low angle.

When you start pulling them apart the 'mix' of features and constructional approach makes an interesting comparison.

Bachmann's chassis and running gear is overall better. The motor mount Hornby use is mechanically inept, and the face contact electrical connections and use of the chassis block for conduction is frankly a poor idea; also the very dated loco to tender wiper power coupling, and draggy tender thanks to inside bearings and wiper pick up: all much inferior to the arrangements Bachmann provide. The rods look lightweight compared to the heavier section Bachmann use which better represent the prototype's chunky look. The Hornby scores for the brass bearings on the driving wheels and their rather good five pole motor. (It is possible that a new production run may have some of these features revised, Hornby have been improving the circuit arrangements in particular on follow on runs of models.)

Hornby's body and applied finish is overall better in appearance. More refinement in the tooling of more small detail, excellent glazing, fine paint job, put it ahead of the Bachmann.

(Cannot comment on the overall accuracy of either model, both are clearly Swindon products and look OK against photos, but don't have reputable drawings of either.)

So if you want it to look at, the Hornby. To operate as received, the Bachmann. Both can be improved of course if you like that sort of thing.

• RMweb Gold

I've got two of each and I can't fault them. Both run well, both cope adequately with the loads I can run on my small-ish layout, both are relatively easy to convert to DCC. There's not always a "better", sometimes models are just equally good when you take all the pros and cons into account.

I do think Hornby could have been a bit cleverer with the livery choices for the Grange, which might have hampered sales (like only doing a weathered BR green version in the first release) but that's a personal opinion.

• RMweb Premium

I don't model GWR/WR but do have a Hornby Grange which I bought on sale from UK.  I remember reading the Model Rail publication British Model Trains that said the Grange is excellent on detail, but the Bachmann Hall has more pulling power.  So how many wagons/coaches are you planning to pull.  On level track though the Grange can pull 7-8 coaches and 30 wagons quite easily and is a nice runner.

Hope this helps

But I like the look of the Hall better, just something about them.  Not that you can tell one GWR loco from another.

Mark in Oz

The only comparison where it's hard to tell them apart is in fact the Grange and Manor, the rest are easy.

• RMweb Gold

As anyone who's seen my layout thread will know I have both and I don't think there's much in it.I just wish that both manufacturers would release them in other GWR liveries than the ones they've done up to now.I might increase sales.The Bachmann lining can be a bit garish on an unweathered loco too.

I do think Hornby could have been a bit cleverer with the livery choices for the Grange, which might have hampered sales (like only doing a weathered BR green version in the first release) but that's a personal opinion.

I would have actually said that about Bachmann, as my ideal livery for a Hall would be shirtbutton, which they have managed to avoid. The Grange was late enough that it only had one pre-war livery, which Hornby have done.

They both have their merits. I like the Grange slightly better due to the detailing and the tender pickups, but there isn't much in it.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

My ideal livery for a Hall would be shirtbutton, which they have managed to avoid.

I'm sure I've seen a Bachmann Hall in lined shirtbutton livery; it might have been a limited edition for the Severn Valley.

I've just swapped from a hall to a grange, dimensionally they may be equals, but in my eyes with the two next to each other the grange just looks more refined. The livery is sharper and some details that look more convincing, the crosshead for example. Just my thoughts ! ;)

Sam

I have one of each and they both perform well. However the livery on the Hall is very good, but the Grange is better. One thing abouth the Hall I don't like though. The DCC socket is under the footplate and certainly on mine, bought at original release, the wire come out backwards and the pocket for the decoder itself is in front of the motor and Bachmann decoder wires are not long enough to reach.

I, like others here, have one of each.  As the layout they run on restricts the length of trains, I've not run into any problems with either in terms of haulage.  I think both are excellent and certainly have that 'GWR' feel to them.  I do have a preference however, and that is towards the Hall.  I have always liked the lined 'Great {crest} Western' livery as is on the Hall, and have never been partial to the 'Shirtbutton' roundel.  I don't believe a Grange ever carried the 'Great {crest} Western' livery, and as such have to make do with what I have :)

... the grange just looks more refined. The livery is sharper and some details that look more convincing, the crosshead for example.

However the livery on the Hall is very good, but the Grange is better.

I don't have a Grange, but have other Hornby 4-6-0s. To my eye the livery application - particularly the boiler bands is much better on the non-Railroad Hornby models than the Bachmann Hall.

My solution is one of each (2 Halls if you count my Bachmann 'Hogwarts Castle' - US edition). There is not a great deal to choose between them - both are excellent.

They're easy to tell apart - a Grange has a step in the running plate over the cylinders. GWR engines are only alike in their superiority (see below).

EDIT for eccentric spelling. Sorry!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a heads up on a Hornby non catalogue release later this year ? of a late crest BR Grange 6803 'Bucklebury Grange'

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/41241/R3209_Hornby_Grange_Class_Steam_Locomotive_number_6803

That's interesting - it was originally going to be a 'concessions only' release.  So maybe Modelzone's problems aren't entirely bad news 

I have the Bachmann Hall and on DC I can't fault it excellent slow speed control, superbly smooth acceleration/deceleration and it pulled a 7 coach train no problem however when I went over to DCC (Bachmann Dynamis system) the Hall hated it, jerky running and useless for shunting despite altering various CVs it went through a series of Bachmann and Hornby Saphire decoders like a doss of salts and in the end someone on RMWeb recommended Lenz Silver and since then it has massively improved although it has never been quite as good as on DC. Maybe I was unlucky but no other Bachmann or Hornby engine has run so badly on DCC.

I have the Bachmann Hall and on DC I can't fault it excellent slow speed control, superbly smooth acceleration/deceleration and it pulled a 7 coach train no problem however when I went over to DCC (Bachmann Dynamis system) the Hall hated it, jerky running and useless for shunting despite altering various CVs it went through a series of Bachmann and Hornby Saphire decoders like a doss of salts and in the end someone on RMWeb recommended Lenz Silver and since then it has massively improved although it has never been quite as good as on DC. Maybe I was unlucky but no other Bachmann or Hornby engine has run so badly on DCC.

I had the same problem after fitting it with DCC... I ended up playing with the CV settings and got it running smooth as silk with a basic Bachmann decoder.  Either way, glad you got it sorted!

• RMweb Gold

Funnily enough I put a Bachmann decoder in my Hall a year or so back and I've never been happy with the running - prone to speeding up and slowing down, a bit noisy and so on. I swapped it for a bog-standard Hornby one this week and the running is much smoother.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think the Grange is just wee bit better than the Hall which is a very good model in it's self, dig deep and have one of each :senile:  :senile: .

81C

I guess I will have to rob Heathrow Airport, like those bandits did 30 years ago.

I would have actually said that about Bachmann, as my ideal livery for a Hall would be shirtbutton, which they have managed to avoid. The Grange was late enough that it only had one pre-war livery, which Hornby have done.

They both have their merits. I like the Grange slightly better due to the detailing and the tender pickups, but there isn't much in it.

Adrian

I assume the post-war livery would be GWR for the Granges?

Archived