Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

J

The scary part is not being painted, it is the fact that being about 7inches shorted than him I can fit under the tables more easily, so all the tracks that need moving need unscrewing, he does those he can reach, then I get to go and attempt yoga in order to get into some weird poses in order to be able to hold a mini electric screwdriver or a manual short headed screw in order to get the awkward screws out. He left me yesterday all geared up and came back lots gone, today he asks me and I say I cant get the angle on the thread so he squeezes back in and looks, sighs, then infers I'm a numpty 'cos the electric screwdriver was on clockwise not anticlockwise...DOH...how he expects that to mean much to me I will never know   :angel:  

We have ripped out track going back 41foot9inches, 12.3metres!!!! 

He promisees once we get around the 45 degree corner it will be plain sailing. (as we have pretty much agreed on the replacement components which will just need a tweak or two as each tracks section joins the next)2 tracks untouched in this corner.2 tracks pulled forward, and a slight adjustment on curve. The last 2 tracks are the replacement tracks out of Goathland, we had to remove support from under Hogwarts (shudders) in order to allow a curve, we have part of an old curve now almost lined up (bxxxxxy miracle frankly) and we can now see from outside where we need to make a join...so no more contortions. Kal is so relieved (and boiling hot) that he is happy to stop for today. 5pm!!!!! I want that join done and removed from my mind forever or I will be having nightmares tonite. 

And I have an end of holiday resolution (like a New Years but it last longer than 7 days) I am NOT planning to learn how to wire up tortoises!!!!!!!!

Hi Jaz & Kal,

Its tough ripping out stuff that you have spent so much time on and scary too but just keep looking at the end result which I am sure will be another great addition to your layout! If you weren't happy with Mk 1, you weren't happy with it and I look forward to seeing Mk2.

I have no doubt that it's going to be good...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

Hi Both I didn't notice you had those, as well   ...................       :declare:      ..........  oops ...    :nono:          J

Not electric meters, not gas meters or any other weird boxes (how o you have 0.3 of a box?), just the length of the tables and room for locos   :locomotive: .........

Pictures.....................

Climbing under this lot, 41foot long. hoovering the floor countless times, undoing all the electrics

med_gallery_17883_2878_485726.jpg0421

moving all these buildings, sheffield park chalked layout is under that lot somewhere

med_gallery_17883_2878_336011.jpg0425

chalking up Goathland 4mm scale plans,

Kal to Jaz, "There I told you we would keep some green fluff..........".

med_gallery_17883_2878_1430501.jpg0422

adjusting tracks, those under hogwarts go 90 degrees, and wood supports have to be undone moved redone (sounds easy? oh no)

med_gallery_17883_2878_1193391.jpg0423

cliff front sacrificed (well it is up for replacement) but damage the waterfall................  :triniti:

med_gallery_17883_2878_365856.jpg0426

get the tracks to line up to those behind the cove

med_gallery_17883_2878_1044803.jpg0424

I was going to show a box of the ballast and green stuff I saved but it looks very much like any normal stuff you get from out of a hoover, ie it resembles cat fur and dirt. :butcher: 

maybe with a greenish tint.

Oh and Kal says it sound like he decided everything - ok I admit I said I am only willing to change any part of Goathland if we go prototypical...................oh shoot me..........

• Like 3

Hi Both,

Apologies for the misunderstanding  ........   caused by an errant Electric Meter in a D**** Tunnel, elsewhere   .........   :warning:

Not electric meters, not gas meters or any other weird boxes (how do you have 0.3 of a box?), just the length of the tables and room for locos

0.3 of a box is easy  ......   it is what is left in your hand when you put the other 0.7 of a box in the bin, after you dropped the box on the floor  ....   perhaps this should be on the clumsy thread too   ....   :)

Looking forward to seeing more of the replacement track, now the routes are chalked in   .....  at least it promises to be a bit cooler for the Rail Construction Supervisor and Team  [well here anyway].

You will have to be quick with the Goathland site too   .............................................................  before the Tide come in   .......     :excl:

J

Edited by jcredfer

No work so far to day been out, buying ............trains............which we have no loop to run on............

"trains"????????????????????????????

That's a bit generic.

Locomotives?

Steam?

Grouping or BR?

Carriages?

Wagons?

US outline?

Continental?

Enquiring minds want to know more!

Hi Both,

Co-incidentally, I had a new train yesterday "For a rather Princely sum."  ......... :king:..........    I believe it has a smaller version too  ...........   :scenic:

How about you show me yours and I'll show you mine  .................................  Oh go on, it will be such fun  .............      :nyam:

J

Ooh, are you shy then  ................   surely not, after showing everyone those stripped off table tops  .............  :acute:

Well, here's the new Pappa   ...........    :kingchris:

9619112221_5e4311b295_c.jpg
Pappa visit 6 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Don't want to Hi-jack your Thread [again]   ...........     :pardon:

I will put some more pictures in the Sandwich   ...........  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75123-do-oldies-really-need-those-trusses/page-2

.............    and a question   ...........................    :nyam: ..............................

Wg Co isn't best pleased, he is rather concerned about all that weight on his Sidings   ..........    but more so because of who drove up, in that old Standard car  ........... 

Now then, there - there  ...   that wasn't so bad was it   ........    go on then, your turn    .....    just a little peek won't do any harm   ................    :crazy:

J

• Like 2

I cannot believe you two - so much work and then all ripped out to start again! This must have cost you a small fortune.

I'm in the process of laying track for my layout. I have to stop reading inspirational material as my track plan keeps changing. It would be so much easier if I was working to prototype. Making it up as you go along is so difficult. I had to pull up a curve I'd laid last night as the 6 coach train I'm using to test kept derailing on the curve. Easing it out a little helped, so hopefully I can sneak back out tonight for another hour

Lee

• Like 1

Jukebox, and Julian

We only do 00 UK, mostly diesels although he likes A4s

Duchess class City of Glasgow in black, had a howes locsound version 4!!! Cost £120, 

Class 20 GBRF £60

Class 20 LaFarge cement in yellow £90

Class 47 Haymarket in Network South East £72

Class 50 in green Sir Edward Elgar £90

and a few cheapies for respray :

43 HST Grand Central due to get an orangey red line for the later livery

43 HST Virgin for a paint job yet to be decided maybe FGW Barbie or Midland, Airbrushing skills?????

150/2 DMU also for respray anglia???

No time for photos yet sorry, 

also got some damaged buildings Bachmann....

Central booking office.....canopy not looking too good for £5.......will repaint 

Sheffield Park Station House.......windows are loose in box...have not opened it ....for £10......

• Like 3

freebs

Kal says he agrees, you never feel it is right or authentic BUT

If you believe a made up plan is difficult consider 

Fitting TWO seperate PROTOTYPES in the same room with track that joins and works........

2 off 8x4 boards with 2 separate prototypical stations with only a 8 foot between them to line up and an 8ft beyond Goathland to get back to where you then change 90 degree angle in an opposite curve.

We need a long D shaped over all 4 tables it has to be a shallow line that marries both protypicals and does not look silly....easy???? Oooooh I think not. We have just shunted Goathland left a little 2 foot, 1 foot, or go right a bit a foot, no no back again, can you still fit the camping coaches at the back, can you still angle the river? (only attempting one river prototypically chickened on the other will look at it afterwards) Is the road bridge still correct yes but there is no room for a portal.......

start again........left a bit...a bit  more....mmm less?......tea break.......

The reason I have not posted is because we have finally compromised and compromised and agreed we think it can work. Although we have dropped a 2 track curve and share one instead otherwise the Goathland track looks like it was drunk. Kal needs a good line for locos and trains to run on, and I want two prototypical laid tracks. Not easy.

(obviously within the constrains of Peco fine scale)

• Like 2

Mate of mine used to run a Model shop  ....   but not Rail  ................   :pilot:  ..  :dancing:

He kept a book of Raffle Tickets and some Sellotape by the Till   .........    :secret: .. :this:

Amazing number of local Pubs had aeroplane kits in their Happy hour Raffles   ...............     :angel:  

J

Kal says when he dies I should put them up on evil bay max two locos a week   :nono:  ...or a set of 3 coaches or wagons (don't flood the market) and I'll have a nice little income for a while.

I should research the price and put ithem in at a reasonable buy it now price. I was hoping this might buy a nice pay of shoes each week. :sungum:

• Like 1

hornbyandbf3fan

That's an interesting concept, doing cameos of profile pictures, I can squeeze my tiger in as it is based on the old Esso advert, i've got a Tiger in my Tank. Batman might be a bit more difficult unless anyone knows of a 4mm scale car, although considering our usage of TV and Film paraphernalia perhaps I should do a Rodney and Delboy version with their reliant Robin at the end of the street. I could maybe add a cat woman although that's a bit of a stretch.

• Like 1