Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Jaz, 

Have a browse through Daves' Youtube videos. His wife Deb and him frequently visit Goathland so there maybe something in his videos that maybe of help. He is a nice guy so I am sure he could always video something for you next times he visits. 

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwiY7pWyrvYZtxHKBLybdWQ

Scott 

mkwolf1877

try exporting it to a folder in pictures that often reduces it

Already in a folder but doesn't seem to shrink on the iPad. I'll try from the laptop later. Cheers for the Panaramio links btw, I'm just doing the coal drop ramp, very useful ;)

Thank you both.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jaz

The scenery you have been moulding (and setting fire to) on the previous page looks great! Although not quite your area, I did live in Hebden Bridge for afew years, and the profiles of your hills took me back to that time. The colour of the river as we'll. we used to tell our friend's children that the water came from the coca cola factory.

BTW, ou could always claim you were burning back the heather. :)

Footbridge or no footbridge, a point raised on Sasquatch's Goathland layout. How purist should we get, my response on his thread ........

We (edit= Sasquatch, Cgraham, Silky_Jack, Mkwolf1877, Kal and Jaz) know that most of the NYM footbridges appeared around mid 80s. Which could be a dilemma, and removal of the footbridge is essential for anyone tied to the era only aspect. But Heartbeat has the footbridge in, Harry Potter (ok modern day) has the footbridge in, and it does seem to lack something when you remove it. I think it more likely to just lift the footbridge if you want to run those earlier locos and photograph them for that purpose and then put the footbridge back in. As for the early trains they are definitely a nice to have, but for us (Arboretum Valley) we have so many things we need to do, and we are reflecting the filming and tv aspects that the footbridge is an essential product. 

Silky_Jack who is not adding Harry Potter, Heartbeat et is more likely to be effected by this aspect.Although I do not think he has limited himself to a specific date.

It is possible to debate this endlessly, but with so much present day reference matter, I think in the fullness of time, say 20 or so years, not adding the footbridge is likely to be considered lacking. With todays technology, our offerings are likely to stand the test of time. As such for me, the footbridge is in, making it removable for the odd picture, an acceptable solution. 

Footbridge or no footbridge, a point raised on Sasquatch's Goathland layout. How purist should we get, my response on his thread ........

We (edit= Sasquatch, Cgraham, Silky_Jack, Mkwolf1877, Kal and Jaz) know that most of the NYM footbridges appeared around mid 80s. Which could be a dilemma, and removal of the footbridge is essential for anyone tied to the era only aspect. But Heartbeat has the footbridge in, Harry Potter (ok modern day) has the footbridge in, and it does seem to lack something when you remove it. I think it more likely to just lift the footbridge if you want to run those earlier locos and photograph them for that purpose and then put the footbridge back in. As for the early trains they are definitely a nice to have, but for us (Arboretum Valley) we have so many things we need to do, and we are reflecting the filming and tv aspects that the footbridge is an essential product. 

Silky_Jack who is not adding Harry Potter, Heartbeat et is more likely to be effected by this aspect.Although I do not think he has limited himself to a specific date.

It is possible to debate this endlessly, but with so much present day reference matter, I think in the fullness of time, say 20 or so years, not adding the footbridge is likely to be considered lacking. With todays technology, our offerings are likely to stand the test of time. As such for me, the footbridge is in, making it removable for the odd picture, an acceptable solution.

I will be using the footbridge. I want to model mine as it is now, will be doing a few "Heartbeat" bits too, ie the Police House. Most of the other Heartbeat stuff is there anyway with the exception of Ashfordly Hall.

I look forward to seeing an "original" version, I'm sure Sasquatch will do a superb job should he decide to take it on :)

• Like 1

J

I would love a tenuous link to Dr Who, we have the police box but no excuse to expand it, and if anyone can find an excuse to add any other TV or film connections please feel free to post them here.

mkwolf1877

I agree I think the present layout is more versatile, because of it's usage in filming it is easier to get reference matter, and that reference matter often includes the filming issues. I think when time has moved on this era will attract a lot of interest because of the filming links. We already notice tags on our old photographs often come up on google searches for say just heartbeat and Goathland (no reference to model or railway etc) , and although it was not our intention it is non the less gratifying to see our work come up so easily.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be an outbreak of footbridges and footbridge possibilities on RMWeb :) Mine will definitely be removable, but that's mainly because I can't decide on a particular time period for my layout. As Freddie Mercury said "I want it alllllll, and I want it at the earliest practical juncture"

Having a removable footbridge will cause some issues with the lamps....you might need a strong drink nearby in case of accidents. Perhaps it might be better to buk...buck....or balk.....(chicken noises) I think on consideration I might be too chicken to want to mess with the footbridge with those lamps

8136006604_d385a0e69e_c.jpgcy newton and flickr

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Apart from my favourite pic of our so much beloved footbridge in the post above are any of these useful to you two.

That little waterfall showing all kinds of concrete and vegitation

post-8964-0-10960900-1383324825_thumb.jpg

Apart from all the RMwebbers ignoring the warnings in the open second behind the EL type3 this pic shows that rarely seen corner the the left quite well.

post-8964-0-43564100-1383324558_thumb.jpg

In this pic note the scaring to the bank behind the station ( I don't know what these are), sandwich shop door and the ferns in the foreground. 

post-8964-0-24691400-1383324582_thumb.jpg

Sars again, curtains in the downstairs windows, window in back of office and that coach is a Hawksworth BG I believe.

post-8964-0-11592200-1383325829.jpg

Too many fences.

post-8964-0-60945600-1383324612_thumb.jpg

There's a wealth of detail in this fantastic pic but most worthy of note is the gradients.

post-8964-0-11767600-1383324639_thumb.jpg

This is the bit I'll have space for in my new building. Trouble is what goes down must come up some where else.

It looks like a bit of stone retaining wall but there is cable trunking,a catch point,signal,facing point lock,ballast bin, etc all needed to capture the scene. 

post-8964-0-42789500-1383324671.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having a removable footbridge will cause some issues with the lamps....you might need a strong drink nearby in case of accidents. Perhaps it might be better to buk...buck....or balk.....(chicken noises) I think on consideration I might be too chicken to want to mess with the footbridge with those lamps

You could use low volt bulbs in the lamps and wire them with filament wire super glued one each down the inside posts and soldered to tiny brass plates on the bottom! Easy!

• Like 1

Hi Both,

In this pic note the scaring to the bank behind the station ( I don't know what these are),

Those look like drainage runs from the road and would be a groove filled with uneven shaped stones, about the size of a fist.

J

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apart from my favourite pic of our so much beloved footbridge in the post above are any of these useful to you two.

That little waterfall showing all kinds of concrete and vegitation

attachicon.gifwier.jpg

Apart from all the RMwebbers ignoring the warnings in the open second behind the EL type3 this pic shows that rarely seen corner the the left quite well.

attachicon.gif37.jpg

In this pic note the scaring to the bank behind the station ( I don't know what these are), sandwich shop door and the ferns in the foreground. 

attachicon.gifDetails2.jpg

Sars again, curtains in the downstairs windows, window in back of office and that coach is a Hawksworth BG I believe.

attachicon.gifGoathland Station details.jpg

Too many fences.

attachicon.gifToo many fences (1).jpg

There's a wealth of detail in this fantastic pic but most worthy of note is the gradients.

attachicon.gifroad over bridge.jpg

This is the bit I'll have space for in my new building. Trouble is what goes down must come up some where else.

It looks like a bit of stone retaining wall but there is cable trunking,a catch point,signal,facing point lock,ballast bin, etc all needed to capture the scene. 

attachicon.gifIncline.jpg

Some nice photos there, lovely.

The scenery is challenging, but beautiful.

It may be that it's because I've seen all the various threads on here with depictions of Goathland, but don't you think that your third image looks very model-like?

One of the things that some purists whinge about on layouts, is how modellers try to cram too much in a small space - and yet right here we have a prototype which is exactly like that :)

I'm watching all of your threads with interest.

Al.

in reverse order

acg_mr

I agree the third picture is great, there are many of them which is why it is SO annoying that both Bachmann and Hornby fail to get those 3 little buildings right, although to give it to Bachmann they at least got the indent which can't be seen just at that angle. To my mind that angle is going to be the difintive.

J / jcredfer

Is correct...drainage.... I thought it had possibly been part of a name picked out, Kal realised what it was immediately.

Sasquatch

lovely pictures thank you.

1.A good near but not close up of the water falling that will be very useful. Relationship to walls ;)

2.I intend to have the house just below the one visible on the opposite rise, the table we have taken as our work/ computer table , and abutts Goathland, is already marked out, especially as it has a lovely water feature in front of it. We have a similar train too ;)

3.Difinitive, both you (Sasquatch) and CGraham have clearly used this as a main point of reference.

4. Kal quickly noticed there is a window in the back of the wood building on this side

5. Have been buying fences to match, gates may need some acg_mr magic.

6. The bridge will have to be scratch build, thankfully so many good ideas on RMweb to 'borrow' following the modelling threads here has been a serious education. 

7. You have the left side but on the other side of the track between the wall and the far left footpath there are two additional signs and a ground frame point with lever, Knightwing b14 to the rescue 

Plus I went back to look for a picture near the start of your Goathland layout and got side tracked re checking your photo reference

Regards the lamps we have purchased two packs of Richard Johnson's DCC Concepts lamps (the super value pack=DML-LMSGVP), the colour and style suit this so well, they don't have the square top and the scroll under the lamp won't be cut off, but the overall style is just to good to ignore .....drilling into the footbridge will be rather scary... :scared:

JCL

A breakout of footbridges.....your right it is the topic of the moment

mkwolf1877

So glad you joined our Goathland lovers you and silky_jack have provided great on hand photos, stuff that none modellers just would not consider of interest.

:offtopic:

The great thing about the people that we interact with on this community is their generosity in sharing their resources and their modelling ideas, and their mistakes (pointing out how something is not the best way can be immensely useful) I found Cgraham's layout on another WWW (see above for the link) which also has some great Hogwarts and Hogmeades Harry Potter Interest, and then their is Sasquatch's inspiring Abbey on his blog which has led me to buy loads of LINKA products. 

I can honestly say I have ideas and projects to last me a LONG time, and to be able to share ideas with other like minded people is great. Many people here not mentioned (especially Newbryford) have shared invaluable information. Plus sometime we can support people with their real life issues, and gain support from them too. Although some might think of this as very cyber, we have had the pleasure of meeting a number of those cyber friends. Some we met and are now on line friends. 

Plus in a community this size, when friends are busy with other issues even if its just work, you can catch up later.  :sungum: Special mention to dt. And as I have learned even when people get old and ill health stops them taking part in the modelling they still have value in sharing their ideas. Heres hoping RMweb never folds because it's servers hold so many happy memories, even the odd bun fight can put a smile on your face when you go back and read them.  :yahoo:      :laugh:         :D

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Premium

Here here!! :friends:

You forgot to mention modelers who are cut off/exiled etc.

Thats the whole Sasquatch point, he's so lost in his own enviroment up in the woods most people don't even believe he exists! 

I'm the only one who's seen my layouts on here!!  So when Sasquatch wins the lottery he'll hire jet and bring Goathland to an exhibition in England. 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

The back wall of Goathland station.

I had planned to use plastic sheet slaters or another. When Kal said with all this practise with the PIR have you consider using it for the wall, especially as the wall is different depths in places.

Hmmmm............................

The new Hornby building close up of wall

med_gallery_17883_2878_130336.jpgrmweb35wall

goathland wall

med_gallery_17883_2878_32335.jpgrmweb36 wall river

goathland wall

med_gallery_17883_2878_214516.jpgimg1083

goathland wall on the PIR more to do, and I will show how I did it, but I just went for it until I was convinced it could work.

med_gallery_17883_2878_561031.jpgimg 1085

I cut the PIR to size (wrong size, as it happens but I can fix that

I counted the bricks (I really did) 14 then 7. Luckily the height was just over 10.5 mm so each brick is approx .5mm

at 14 bricks I cut the PIR back

I marked the lines with a thin felt tip

I cut the lines with a stanley blade

Most of the bricks are about twice the height for a width, so I marked the bricks

The finish came about naturally from the cutting process no extra work required

Paint the lot in grey emulsion

Whilst wet add some tiramisu (beige to you) paint

and some chocolate sundae (brown)

mix the colure whilst still wet but only the grey goes in the cracks

add some model mates green to the stepped part of the wall and near the water 

add some copydex

add some green turf

add some bush

job done.

4101976.jpgthe steveT picture from Panaramio

I used silky-jacks thread The Lofty Heights for reference as there are some good reference pictures there of the wall side on.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

The back wall of Goathland station.

I had planned to use plastic sheet slaters or another. When Kal said with all this practise with the PIR have you consider using it for the wall, especially as the wall is different depths in places.

Hmmmm............................

The new Hornby building close up of wall

med_gallery_17883_2878_130336.jpgrmweb35wall

goathland wall

med_gallery_17883_2878_32335.jpgrmweb36 wall river

goathland wall

med_gallery_17883_2878_214516.jpgimg1083

goathland wall on the PIR more to do, and I will show how I did it, but I just went for it until I was convinced it could work.

med_gallery_17883_2878_561031.jpgimg 1085

I cut the PIR to size (wrong size, as it happens but I can fix that

I counted the bricks (I really did) 14 then 7. Luckily the height was just over 10.5 mm so each brick is approx .5mm

at 14 bricks I cut the PIR back

I marked the lines with a thin felt tip

I cut the lines with a stanley blade

Most of the bricks are about twice the height for a width, so I marked the bricks

The finish came about naturally from the cutting process no extra work required

Paint the lot in grey emulsion

Whilst wet add some tiramisu (beige to you) paint

and some chocolate sundae (brown)

mix the colure whilst still wet but only the grey goes in the cracks

add some model mates green to the stepped part of the wall and near the water 

add some copydex

add some green turf

add some bush

job done.

4101976.jpgthe steveT picture from Panaramio

I used silky-jacks thread The Lofty Heights for reference as there are some good reference pictures there of the wall side on.

Hats off to you mate, that looks amazing. Nice one.

I came to read the comments, as you do, and realised I had forgotten this one

med_gallery_17883_2878_603785.jpgimg1090

the top needs sorting, but you can see where we are going

edit= change red to read

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1