Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

the britfarmer.....

Your not wrong.......even when Kal came in to calm me down....he took one look and said have you spilt it all? I had only lost like half, and it was a glutinous mess (which considering the stuff runs like bejezuz on the model is astonishing) a good 4x4inches or 100mx100mm or possibly half that again....I was already concentrating on lifting the nearby stuff out of harms way....not bashing the light...which might bash the loco.....grabbing the toilet paper....lifting the cutting mat...under which the paint had just run!!!! Feeling like I needed at least 2 more if not 4 more arms!!! Luckily the toilet paper took it up with great gusto...and the fact tat is is actually thin and opaque didn't need loads of thinners as well!!!! If I had been a cartoon character steam would have been coming out of my ears!!!!

Timtrains66

Welcome to Arboretum Valley (I think I'm right I haven't seen you here before) 

Thank you for the comment on the 66.

There are probably experienced loco modellers laughing themselves silly. But you have to learn some time. And as previously shown on this thread you see the pretty shiny successes and the darker disasters. If your lucky you get the chance to learn from others mistakes. 

Edited by Jaz

Luckily whilst at the shop I had sourced a number of paints particulalrly yellows from acid to golden, and in different brands.

Technically I am sure a decent primer (Halfords special) would have cured this....but with my limited experience with masking would have been a pain. I would suppose grey would have been the way  to go.

Having removed the offending paint, I decided to have a look at the choices (ignoring the masking this really weird small shape without lifting the surround paint!!!!) So There was a Tamiya choice flat Yellow XF-3 but I am hoping that will be the basis for the sun and moon. So I used the Citadel Flash Gitz Yellow (don't you just love the name :sungum: ) being a more golden colour.....yeah yeah I know it does not look like it in the picture.....but in natural sunlight....promise....it is not as acidic as in this photograph!! Also As it is a base coat I did not make a perfect job of the colour so panic not that you can see the blue....if when I put the top coat on - you can still see the blue don't worry I will be doing all the panicking necessary   :blind:  :blind:  :blind:

med_gallery_17883_3145_391419.jpgrmweb946class66AD

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nice work Jaz. Now you know how I felt when I did mine!

I undercoated the whole thing with white to start with, but still had issues where the colours overlapped. I used Humbrol pink enamel over the acrylics and it worked quite well.

And if that wasn't bad enough, I sold one and did another.

Hope you don't mind me posting a couple of pics

post-408-0-15597800-1393708453_thumb.jpg

Pity the real thing was the wrong way round when it passed my house.

post-408-0-60903900-1393708439_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

I love those picture, I saw the little one when I googled, but what is it????

Have you any close ups???? Getting decent pictures from both directions, trying to see where the paint starts and finishes, checking the heights against the bits on the doors. The door end with the moon, I can't decide if the door handle has turquoise blue behind it of the GBRF yellow. Even using the iPad to zoom in only helps so much. I think I could go for an o' level on the subject.

Anyways at this point I thought....wait for the paint to dry? Boorrrinnnng......

So I investigated the red, I had picked up a Revell Carmine (think nice dark magenta) red looked great on the label....got it home....opened it up....and it was more vermillion (orange red). After my gobsmacked look, Kal said give it a stir....a definite improvement....but not enough.....I looked at the Tamiya red, flat red XF-7 matt not gloss and close to the label on the Revells carmine..... and it had the temerity to actually drip off the stirrer.....so useless.....it would obvious also flow directly into the grooves and sit there laughing at me!!!! Red RED....I had also bought Citadels Evil Sunz Scarlet.....true thee was no hint of a nice dark red here BUT at least it would brush on and stick!!!! So I thought yellow was Citadel this is Citadel oh what the Hell (Can I say that word???) and painted the red area of the rainbow

med_gallery_17883_3145_43479.jpgrmweb947class66AE

remember post 3706

march_gbrf_class66720-openday-2011.jpgukrailways1970today.me.uk

Honest Guv when I have the top coat on and have played with that too....it will look more like this. Says she slinking off muttering to her self.....horn of beetle.....wing of bat.......toe of frog...erm or toad?......where did I leave my cauldron?????

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mick

I love those picture, I saw the little one when I googled, but what is it????

Have you any close ups???? Getting decent pictures from both directions, trying to see where the paint starts and finishes, checking the heights against the bits on the doors. The door end with the moon, I can't decide if the door handle has turquoise blue behind it of the GBRF yellow. Even using the iPad to zoom in only helps so much. I think I could go for an o' level on the subject.

The "little one" is the 00 model that I had at Wrecrail last year. Flickr is usually my first option for pictures and it can take a bit of searching to find the best angles.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=66720

Cheers,

Mick

Jammie devil....so have you got you layout lined up against the main line....and you photograph the real thing as it goes past....then say....

Ooooooh heres another one I did....... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Renumbering

I thought I would re number one of my GBRF First class 66 from 66702 to 66706.

Oh what PITA.

Trying to remove the numbers on the sides is worse than trying to remove the smell of vomit in a minibus when somebody paid too much hail to the ale.!!

Tried t cut, cocktail sticks , scalpel blade, swearing at it.... Boy it was hard to shift. Resorted to painting over it and even then you could see it at certain angles. Anyway Phoenix GBRF blues is a pretty good match.

Any way the I got some transfers that just wouldn't come off the backing sheet, eventually after about 20 mins the transfer moved and I got it in place OK

On the plus side the micro sol does a great job of getting the transfer into the grooves.

Oh joy , now I have to do the other side

Edited by Kal
  • Like 2

Looking at all the wonderful work in photographs, and other written descriptions above, is a real inspiration for me to go right ahead   .......

....................................................................................................................................................  and  .. admire the manufacturers work out of the box  ...    :senile: .. :locomotive:  ..  :jester:  :jester:

Edit: - Couldn't find a "Chicken" Icon  ......

Edited by jcredfer

I was comparing my reference matter and noticed a LARGE booboo.....above I posted.....

And this

remember post 3706

march_gbrf_class66720-openday-2011.jpgukra

And the gap between the rainbow and the star that was due to be added was far to wide......Once I drew the star in it became very apparent....no picture sorry....but a quick touch up...and we are back on course......phew

About now am glad I am doing base colours first....because messing with finished colours could have caused it too look tacky.

med_gallery_17883_3145_326086.jpgrmweb921class66AI

Getting the star just right is hard as the model does not actually match the real thing....so its a best I can do.

Edited by Jaz

While I was comparing the model to the new reference picture of the real thing - Kal pulled it from the reference detail Newbryford posted a link for on this thread. Which is a much better picture face on and the iPad can expand more easily.I used it to improve the base colour for the face and hands.

So from this .......

To this....

med_gallery_17883_3145_146175.jpgrmweb922class66AJ

And whilst on the subject of this area, the Tcut had made a mess of the black grill. So I used a needle to flick out what I could then a fine 000 brush to repaint it balck

med_gallery_17883_3145_107816.jpgrmweb923class66AK

• Like 3

And the right hand door

med_gallery_17883_3145_13585.jpgrmweb924class66AL

By the looks of the original it was all painted red then overlaid with the other colours, and a bit slapdash too. Luckily I can do slapdash :sungum:

med_gallery_17883_3145_66116.jpgrmweb924class66AM

Even using a really fine brush I can only get it part right....luckily it gets tacky reasonable fast, and the colours are not running, so repairs can be done before not  too long, little by little catchy monkey.....

med_gallery_17883_3145_36480.jpgrmweb925classAN

you may notice I mixed up a reasonable red, hopefully the red will be the final colour

We have the star so we need the moon, I gauged the width of the door and the relationship to it to get the distance the moon was on the model

med_gallery_17883_3145_135672.jpgrmweb926class66AO

and when I did the red on the rainbow I touched up the right hand door.

• Like 2

A picture of the red drying...as I post it here you can't tell much difference...but to me it was noticeable

med_gallery_17883_3145_56455.jpgrmweb927class66AP

I painted the yellow part of the rainbow with the GBRF dull yellow...a second coat will be required.

med_gallery_17883_3145_56455.jpgclass928class66AQ

And whilst I was watching paint dry I started on the left door

med_gallery_17883_3145_369530.jpgrmweb929class66AR

I did this freehand so some tidying up will be required.

I also painted over the yellow on the right hand door, the dull GBRF yellow will need a second coat as well.

med_gallery_17883_3145_40162.jpgrmweb929class66AS

• Like 4

Hi Jaz

Loving your 66720. If your going to weather it here's a couple of pictures I took the last time I drove it.post-18515-0-36864700-1393776267_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-28566600-1393776296_thumb.jpg

Not overly dirty as we tend to keep our loco's reasonably clean as far as practically possible.

Hope they are of some help. By the way if you get bored with it can I have first refusal.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 6