Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Hi

It is a running board not the sole bar. The sole bar is the top of the chassis running length ways on which the body sits, I say this only to let you know what I have learnt not to be clever with anyone.

Running Boards in more recent times tend to be seen on brake wagons and shunting wagons, so that people can ride on the wagon.

In earlier times it is possible that they were used in collieries when pit ponies were used to drag the wagons to the main sidings, so that the person coupling / marshalling the wagon could ride on the side.

Not found any photo graphic evidence though.

As it was a cheap , it could be that the manufacturer just had one chassis for all wagons and so made it so it that way so it could also be used with brake wagons.

Hi

It is a running board not the sole bar. The sole bar is the top of the chassis running length ways on which the body sits, I say this only to let you know what I have learnt not to be clever with anyone.

Running Boards in more recent times tend to be seen on brake wagons and shunting wagons, so that people can ride on the wagon.

In earlier times it is possible that they were used in collieries when pit ponies were used to drag the wagons to the main sidings, so that the person coupling / marshalling the wagon could ride on the side.

Not found any photo graphic evidence though.

As it was a cheap , it could be that the manufacturer just had one chassis for all wagons and so made it so it that way so it could also be used with brake wagons.

You're right of course! And something I've known for donkies! LOL But I've never seen a one on shunting wagons, other than the dedicated examples with the toolbox, etc.

I think I'd better quit while I'm behind.

Edited by Brass0four

Tony

no no no, it is all good info, :good:  it is the conversation and question that leads to research and learning. If it was not for people like yourself, we would sit in dumb ignorance.

Thing is... I always like people correcting me when I am wrong , or tips to make things better.  What I dislike is people stating the obvious or being picky....... at least in the first instance. :banghead:

However I have found that even people stating the obvious or being picky, and even when they were doing it for badness :devil: , which has never happened on this thread to date :fan: , but even then.... later.... when I have climbed down from the ceiling :ireful:  those comments have made me think about things and tried to improve.

So..... even when people try to put you down.... you can take something from it and simply say to yourself in response to those people.....How do you like  them apples!!!! :bye:

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1

Chris

I did not know what to call it, I only learnt what a sole bar was 10 minutes ago, because you mentioned it.....   so for me I learnt something new, so what is there to be sorry for  :imsohappy:

It was while doing this I accidentally found out it is called a running board........you see, questions lead to knowledge.

I should be thanking you guy's :danced:

• Like 1

the sun is now behind clouds, (I wonder how you might model the inside of the planks?)

med_gallery_17883_3119_327207.jpgrmweb617wagon22

has anyone seen a 'foot plate' as shown on this wagon?

pulling out

med_gallery_17883_3119_691121.jpgrmweb618agon23

on our way........

med_gallery_17883_3119_331990.jpgrmweb619wagon24

• Like 1

Ok BrassOfour, the game is up...........

Where did you nick the Coal Wagon photo  ................   time to confess, I'm afraid   ..........

...........   the Forensics are plain to see    ...........

PS. I worn't a Snowdrop fer nowt ye know  .....    ;)

What makes AV so special is your refreshing views, behaviour, and passionate wish to learn and grow. If some of us trip over ourselves in wanting to help you even make a *positive* out of that, as you, Kal, have just done. There are some (many?) topical threads where such accidental comments such as mine and ChrisN's would have you a laughing-stock and be dismissed from any future discussion forever more. I recently ended following a topic I've followed for years when I realised the nature of the beast. We all bring different things to the table, eg: - and just single examples - Kal brings a technical expertise relevant to DCC and other eletrickery

Ok BrassOfour, the game is up...........

Where did you nick the Coal Wagon photo  ................   time to confess, I'm afraid   ..........

...........   the Forensics are plain to see    ...........

PS. I worn't a Snowdrop fer nowt ye know  .....    ;)

LOL!  Google images. As simple a search as, and I quote: "old coal wagons UK". I love Google images...

edit: I was actually in mid-draft when Julian interfered!

To conclude, (and you've already rated my post)  you, Jaz bring a scenic quality which is particularly admirable, a work-rate that is jaw-dropping, and a "have a go at anything" courage that encourages the rest of us.

Me? I've never made a single field of grass, but I've a canny eye - and a load of bull-####.

But this is all about to change - when I hoy the lap top out the window! :jester: (Don't you love my jesters! They have certain élan - a joie de vivre -  no one else's has.)

'Bye for now :)

Edited by Brass0four

Google is wonderful  thing, if you know what search phrase to use. I have to say sometimes when i read on threads "google it" "google is your friend etc" to someone question... I think to myself,....... but if you do not know what to goole your knacked, could they not just say search on   ...xyz ...

Any way from your phrase I found: 

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/4-rstock/powag1.htm

qsvl8ll8p.jpg

Not the same, but it shows me it was possible for a wagon to have a running board.

Thank-you Tony

Edited by Kal

Doing a search for ViTrains and Kadees it appears that the on resolve is to file a NEM Kadee with a dovetail  to match the Vitrains and glue in place. It doesn't appear to be a perfect solution however and some have mention uncoupling and derailing of stock. :( 

Surely someone has attached a NEM pocket to one of these? 

here is the bits up close

To the right is the starting couplings, to the left the cut offs and filings to dove tail. I had hoped the kadee by itself would be ok but it was just too floppy so i glued it to the off cut from the original coupling

med_gallery_17883_3123_272027.jpg

Google is wonderful  thing, if you know what search phrase to use. I have to say sometimes when i read on threads "google it" "google is your friend etc" to someone question... I think to myself,....... but if you do not know what to goole your knacked, could they not just say search on   ...xyz ...

qsvl8ll8p.jpg

Not the same, but it shows me it was possible for a wagon to have a running board.

Thank-you Tony

Peeping from behind a bolder... shivering with fright...

-  it says the body and solebar are painted grey- the running gear  (chassis and wheels) are painted black.  The connecting-rod between the axel-boxes is part of the chassis - there is no running board.

And you were being your usual, helpful self.

-sorry. :(

"waiting for the bullet emoticon"

Kal thinks the running board is the horizontal bar that runs at the bottom of (and between) the wheels, (not full length like ours) and it sits almost level with the rails.

He says he has seen a similar set up on some garden / sit on railways, for people to climb on and off.

And I pulled the trigger......there was just a hollow click....must be Russian roulette  :jester:  :triniti:

Tony

You know me by now.... you may be right.... but looking at the drawing, I see two ladder frames in front of the wheels, to which the half length running board is bolted, sitting as outriders at about rail level.

Of course, I maybe seeing what I want to see..... but it is the closest I have managed to find. There was an old B&W photo that looked to have them too. but it was so grainy it could have been a snake passing by.

I don't worry too much anyway,... as we buy never was, and toy stock, with the intention of experimentation from 1 and 5 pound buckets.  I want to practice on things that do not matter, before i get to the expensive stuff ;)

If they prove to be no good , I shall spray them yellow add some Network Rail stickers and sell them on Ebay, people seem to buy anything in that state  :angel:

Might even send them to Mick for use on New Bryford at York  :jester:

Edited by Kal

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifcortonwood_wagons.jpgJaz:

I got nothing from my (made up word) caudron. I Google imaged old coal wagons.

They're nothing like yours! But are standard(ish) The *tapered-body wagon is the sort I was trying t describe with that word. They do have the more limited brake-gear demonstrable for the era.

Sheesh! I think I'm wasting your time here!

*I meant the curved end.

Way off topic I know.

I do love these old photographs you keep digging up Tony mate.

Check out the posy of what appear to be mixed race youths catching a  free ride.  How times have changed. You're not even allowed on the railway without a dayglow vest, hard hat,walkie talkie and health & safety certification these days.

These look like bottom discharging colliery wagons. Can't say I've ever seen this type before.

• Like 3

Way off topic I know.

I do love these old photographs you keep digging up Tony mate.

Check out the posy of what appear to be mixed race youths catching a  free ride.  How times have changed. You're not even allowed on the railway without a dayglow vest, hard hat,walkie talkie and health & safety certification these days.

These look like bottom discharging colliery wagons. Can't say I've ever seen this type before

Thanks, for that, Sasquatch. :)

I didn't notice the laddies but they are a delightful crew. The dark-skinned might have been digging coal?

I think a young 'un crawls under the wagon with a hammer and knocks out the on-chain bolts that secure the doors, then dodges the 16 tons. Times have changed.

Edited by Brass0four
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

qsvl8ll8p.jpg

Thank-you Tony

The bar across the bottom is called a tie bar. Its purpose is to stop the spread of the chassis when the brakes are on.

So to throw a little light on your wagons chassis. This is from one of these. An old Triang Victorian brake van of dubious origin. Hornby must have reintroduced the tooling as they must be in good condition having been hardly used. 

Love the wagon Jaz. That's what modeling is all about, making something awesome out of bits and pieces! 

post-8964-0-91298100-1391885136.pngOriginal photo available at the fantastic Triang Railway Collection website.

Kal, Jaz + Co.,

Just caught up with today's 2 pages, and the modelling here is just superb... :locomotive:

Kal's conversion to Kadee is excellent work, and I'm sure Jaz has just photoshopped and resized a picture of a real coal wagon and stuck it behind the 03, it looks SOOOOO realistic... :yes: :senile:

My view on the solebar/footplate/whatever it is on the bottom of the wagon is that It's a typical Hornby inacuracy because it's in the RailRoad range...I have a RailRoad brake van and the underframe is exactly the same, so it could just be them trying to save a few bob on a retool... that's just my opinion....... 

Ta

Jack.

• Like 1

Sorry to be late replying....

Actually all you need is an old Sieve and a water tap   .................................................    and plenty of room outside   ...........   :O

Hmm J,  are you speaking from experience  :jester:   you crabsters got up to some odd stuff :tomato:

Experience indeed  ...............   though not necessarily strictly "Fun"    ...........   HMC&E [Now defunct and under the thumb of Inland Revenue] had a device in some Ports [Air & Sea] which Human Poo was washed  .......

as I am sure may well be common knowledge, some drug Couriers wrapped the dope in condoms and swallowed them   ...............   they were simply detained until nature took it's course and the proceeds washed with a pressure water spray - [keep note of pressure spray for later] - until the non-dissolving Condoms remained   .................   

When I referred to it being "not necessarily fun" - it might be observed that the device for spraying water to dissipate the Poo must have been designed by a Government committee consisting entirely of Politicians  .............  all of whom must have been qualified with Philosophy Degrees   ..........................

..................   don't believe me?    .............    try this for logic   ....................   the Human Excreta was placed on top of a mesh circle about 30" across, so the water and softened Excreta would pass through, leaving any solids on top  ....  revealing the guilty secrets concealed within   .......................

Sound good, I hear you say   ................................................   well yes   ............    BUT  .....................    which complete Hedgehogs Testicle Brain would locate the water spray nozzle UNDERNEATH the sieve mesh    ..............

...............................................................................................   did I also mention the open top design of this immaculately designed aromatic Fountain  ....................................  :tomato:

Oh yes, just to clear up a point and defend those genuine hard working HMC&E officers - the choice of who might be detained for a Poo Party was not entirely random   ...............  Couriers who employed this rather unpleasant way to conceal the consignment were generally high as Kites when they arrived, as the Condoms hadn't retain their contents any too well     .........................   and that thought could raise a few other thoughts about quality control     ...........  :pardon:

PS. This is one area where it is hoped that H&SE may have recommended a few improvements since then  ....

Edit - PS.....

Edited by jcredfer