Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Man with flag....Add 10 thou plasticard cut square modify square, to look as though it is hanging, add blue and white chequers, just out of focus so ones brain corrects inaccuracies, plant on layout and photograph suitably far away...............

med_gallery_17883_3112_486357.jpgrmweb583worker1

It is cut to imitate a flag folded back slightly, I will go stick them to the model and pop it up on the layout, 3 of the workers now have white hats. 

I.E. The boss on his mobile, this flag bloke, and I a guy with a very large tool who I sincerely knows what he is doing with it!

The two side are glued to gather over the original glue with copydex allowing easy removal if required.

med_gallery_17883_3112_103560.jpgrmweb584worker2

I forgot to take a picture of my flag and measure it but you seem to have it close enough. :)
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yay, just caught up and it is only Wednesday!

Party?  Togas, nurses?  Where is the 'shakes head' button?

Flag.  Could you not print it?  I thought that before ess1uk said it was the right size.

Horse and cattle wagons, definately more open than that.

Craftsman kits.  I bought one a couple or three years back, took one look at it and put it in a drawer for later, much later.  They are basically scratch building with the plans to cut round, but have all the bits.

Since then I have started to make insides of buildings and started to scratch build a representation of our honeymoon cottage so it now does not seem so daunting.

Have a look at it and if you feel put off try doing small bits on something else first.  I think the main difficulty may be the thickness of the plastic.  I do not mind it but it is not as easy to work with as thinner plastics.

• Like 2

Tony, your layout looks great.  Do you have any photos of the build so far, because that would be a good start!

When you get time to make something just document it as you do.  It would be interesting to see how you go about things, and sometimes the slow burner topics are best.

The only reason my thread built up so quickly was that I had a year or so worth of material to post once I plucked up the courage to show my little roundy-roundy on here.  I'm now at a stage of completing bits as I can, so it's going to be piecemeal...

• RMweb Premium

the Craftsman kit is kind of throwing you in the deep end. But if you persevere and complete one I have found that anything becomes possible.

My suggestion was based on the fact that everything needed to build Aidensfield cop shop is in the box!!!

I must admit that the signal box build over on my Goathland thread combines other construction methods as they are easier. Cheaper too.

Edited by Sasquatch

Brass0four

It seems a shame for me to have YOUR likes,

when you go to your You Tube,

right click it, and select copy video url

then come here to RMweb, and open a reply

9th icon along the bottom line (looks like a pair of specs) = link

right click the link, wait for the box to open then cntrl and C (for copy) and confirm

and the video should work fine.

If you need help to set up your own layout, which deserves being shown off, any of us here would be happy to provide help if you are stuck. I had troubles when I first came here 8 months ago, it's just a learning curve.

Jaz:

I appreciate that very much and I've no doubt I'll take you up on it! I'm not a total technophobe but I'm close.

I'm going to concentrate on completing some structures now, to build up a head of steam ahead(!) of a thread. When I've something I think is passable you'll be the first to know.

It's done loads for my confidence getting peoples reactions/support. Working in a solitary fashion I haven't realised how much I really needed feedback. I'll say one thing: facing the "nightshift" I've never felt so good in myself for a very long time. The whole Carer thing, going on year upon year, can be soul-destroying; modelling is my escape, refuge, etc. 'Trouble is, watching the trains go by can be hypnotising and nowt gets done!

I've actually made a good start today. It'll not be quick but I've the impetus now. I'd grown stale before.

Thanks again,

Tony.

Well... If one person feels , better, more confident, entertained, they can do better ......or in fact any positive feelings and this thread has played any small part in that, then the the AV thread is worth the effort.

You feeling good, makes me feel good, thank you

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking they may be suitable for livestock wagons for my circus train? Thoughts?

Now there's a funny thought. The two on the right started out as Thomas circus vans. Wrong under frame on the refrigerator I know but my excuse is that this one received a new under frame at some point. Left one is Cambrian models meat van.

post-8964-0-30179300-1391665399_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch

In the distance you can see the weir forming

med_gallery_17883_2878_209285.jpgrmweb243weir1

As you walk along the bank you get closer to the weir, 

med_gallery_17883_2878_26395.jpgrmweb244weir2

From this distance the light makes them look fine. As I join the water and it starts to start to look ok close up I will put up a set that are forming but have not yet been transferred in.

And one past the weir to the curve with the new tree

med_gallery_17883_2878_458571.jpgrmweb245trees1

Hi Jaz

You have some really nice shots, a lot of work.

What did you use for the weed that go with the flow?

Thanks

PJ

med_gallery_17883_2878_209285.jpgrmweb243weir1

Hi Jaz

Thanks

PJ

I should have added image rmweb243weir1 shows what I am referring to better

rmweb243weir1

As you walk along the bank you get closer to the weir, 

rmweb244weir2

From this distance the light makes them look fine. As I join the water and it starts to start to look ok close up I will put up a set that are forming but have not yet been transferred in.

And one past the weir to the curve with the new tree

rmweb245trees1

Hi Jaz

I will see about making a separate WATER in my gallery for quick reference. as well.

Thanks

PJ

I pop foam turf in after the first layer and let it just sink into the wet varnish, I go with the rule of 3, and prefer to use 3 toning greens together, and overlap them with bits missing so 50,50 and 50 percent coverage with some only 1 layer. I like to think of it as camouflage. I used the fine, but the bigger sizes awe ok as well, When you have planted your veg on your pond if you build it up more and the 'roots' are in the water you will find it look quite nice.

A touch of ballast for rocks or pebbles as well, your saw similar on Tetleys work, just I used much smaller and mixed the green on it it sinks in and looks like the green you get as weeds grow on the rocks in the water.On the last layer some 'leaves' can look nice too.

ALSO check out page 1 it has some links in our thread to water items etc, saving you trawling thru all the thread.

Edited by Jaz

Tony, your layout looks great.  Do you have any photos of the build so far, because that would be a good start!

When you get time to make something just document it as you do.  It would be interesting to see how you go about things, and sometimes the slow burner topics are best.

The only reason my thread built up so quickly was that I had a year or so worth of material to post once I plucked up the courage to show my little roundy-roundy on here.  I'm now at a stage of completing bits as I can, so it's going to be piecemeal...

Sorry for the delay - just come off nightshift (@ 13.00 hours!)

Thanks for that. I didn't have a decent camera till just lately, and I don't have a "smartphone" (mine just makes phone-calls and texts - how dumb is that - for a telephone!) In any event the baseboards are a mess, consisting off add-ons and widenings that are a nightmare for point-motors, etc.

As I've said to Jaz - I (like yourself) plan to build up a head of steam before posting a Topic. I think it's sad that some threads start with great promise then stall due to further inaction. I must avoid this like the plague. My domestic life tends to consist of many small emergencies plus a staggering workload. When you have to do EVERYTHING* for another human being, plus all else in ordinary domestic terms, it can be a daily nightmare; I must be very careful with my planning and organisation or it could end very badly.*

Tony.

*I do get tired of making these excuses over and over again, but Carers, nationally, are treated appallingly, saving the government billions because 'gov knows we'll never let our people down. Statistically, Carers often pop their clogs before their charges; also, you lose not just one wage-packet but two. And Local Authority Carers are ***NOT free; if you are daft enough to own your own home, they cost £15.00 per hour and - if the individual needs to be hoisted as Joan does - they come in pairs due to Health and Safety rules. Twenty-four hours care is £300.00 - £2,000 for a weeks private care. If I have to go into hospital - again - we're in trouble.

Sorry for taking advantage with the rant, Jaz & Kal. Outside my own thread that's the END** of the subject. If anyone has questions please pm me, not clutter AV, and I'll reply when I'm able.

** Again, the editing area is greyed out so I can't use emoticons, etc., hence the SHOUTS! "Jester emoticon"

*** People who are terminally ill are the exception.

Edited by Brass0four