Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

• RMweb Premium

How many brownie points do I need to get a free one?

My punch card for the coffee stop is nearly full but they will only let me have another iced mocca not a brownie. :shout:

post-8964-0-46587900-1397018587.jpg

Jaz, you're making a cracking job, and I hate to mention this... but the door doesn't seem to have a frame at the moment?

Don't forget lintels and sills above and below the windows and doors, the structure (in real life) wouldn't stay a structure for long without them

Overnite I had a thought about those doors, and looking at the door piece I can easily widen the door and make the frame more obvious. And with two decent modellers pointing out to me that they are an issue....I decided to widen the door while it was still easy to do so.....rescribing the stone is so easy that redoing it and painting it is not an issue. Getting the door too thin an obvious error in judgement.

Thanks again for making me look at this more carefully. :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

and along the way I cut both windows

med_gallery_17883_3113_556360.jpgrmweb1424policehouse22

So now we have a wider door way with more frame in view. And two offset windows.

med_gallery_17883_3113_464882.jpgrmweb1426policehouse24

and enough height to include some frame above the door also.

• Like 1

S.O.S......or in layman's terms.....Help!!!

The Wills kit has some grey strips for the lintels (and I suppose the door frame) 

BUT some are flat and some are lipped.....are the lips for the bottom of the windows?????? So the sills hide the joins?

I was just on sweven's thread  Buildings for Studley & Astwood Bank

where he said some nice stuff about AV

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82563-the-buildings-of-studley-and-astwood-bank/page-2&do=findComment&comment=1412186

then it occurred to me that AV visitor's might like to see my response as well..................

Sweven

Oh lol, on this forum....if you gab enough you get the views from passing trade anyway. AND I can talk the hind leg off a donkey. If you liked the Goathland elements you should check out Sasquatch's Goathland (see his link on his posts) he has an amazing amount of very realistic material, and he made the back of his station before Hornby made theirs so he actually modelled the lower elements himself.  The thing you'll find with many of the popular layout threads it is that the 'owner's tend to be nice people, which makes for a nice atmosphere, and there for people feel safe to chat on them. You can put up lovely work....but if no one replies people don't seem to rate you. Which I think is a shame because I follow a number of small threads that have highly gifted people doing work on them. Many people are too nervous to post at all, or only on their own thread, and often they don't put a link to their work, so even if you see someone making good informative comments it's not obvious they have work here to look at as well. The thing is to be brave.......what can they do????? Shoot you? If you just lurk in the dark......you never give your self the chance to shine. And sometimes even good threads just don't get 'traffic'.  And the really sad thing is some really gifted people are short on time or money so don't get the chance to put up continuous work...so again their threads lose momentum. And the saddest one is gifted modellers get old, and then their bodies stop them producing quality work, they often feel they then have nothing to say, so their experience is lost. At worst if a novice says something bad....what can happen...someone corrects you...and you see another way. Kal and I have learnt plenty from people telling us how to do it better. The main thing is to not feel crushed IF someone says, you did it wrong, you could do it better, or preferably shows you a better way with a link or pictures, preferable with a little bit of diplomacy, then their 'help' can move you forward.  At the end of the day we all want to learn to be better and enjoy our hobby.

See told you I can talk the hind leg off a donkey  :jester:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

I am not sure what you mean by 'lipped' but on the houses I have the sills are square or rectangular rods on the guttering sprue & by the look of it you need to cut them to size.  I have shaped lintels though.

• RMweb Gold

S.O.S......or in layman's terms.....Help!!!

The Wills kit has some grey strips for the lintels (and I suppose the door frame) 

BUT some are flat and some are lipped.....are the lips for the bottom of the windows?????? So the sills hide the joins?

Can you show us a piccie Jaz?

I think you may be right though, the lipped ones are probably the sills.

The door looks excellent.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,
I would think, although I would look long and hard at the diagram first, then put my glasses on and look again, that you are right and the lipped ones are the sills with the lips facing down and next to the wall.

Also, don't scribe the stonework at the top of the window, it should be flat and look like part of the lintel. (Sorry if it is telling my Granny to suck eggs, sorry about the illusion to a Granny, er, I think I'll stop while I'm behind.)

• RMweb Premium

Sometimes the Wills offerings for sills and lintels can be a little thick.

Some .010 or .015 styrene strip might be more fitting especially on a stone building where the lintels are just a big stone built into the walling!! 

Edited by Sasquatch

OK I decided to reinforce the the joins on the main building elevation

some 20 thou and some plastic cement later, I did the top and the bottom.

PLUS the advantage is the windows keep rubbing on the work top so it helps relief some of the pressure as the 20thou lift the sheet up a little :sungum:

med_gallery_17883_3113_133068.jpgrmweb1431policehouse29

NOT the neatest job, and if I decide to do the interior later I might end up pulling my hair out. BUT it has a lot of advantages And I can fix the door in any time now.

And talking of windows the window on the right on the annexe has smaller panes that the window on the left. This is NOT an exact match because the right one appears to be a 3 x 4 and I have made mine 4 x 4 thereby not cutting the original window provided. But it has the right flavour.

med_gallery_17883_3113_196371.jpgrmweb1432policehouse30

The only issue is for quickness I have laid the first evergreen one way then added a second layer at 90 degrees....I will have to avoid damaging these winnows while working on the elevations...so they will probably not be fixed into place for some time.

med_gallery_17883_3113_472522.jpgrmweb1433policehouse31

• Like 2

So I have now realised I could have abutted the sheets with flat edges against each other and just marked the flat edge as stone......too late I have already gone down the 45 degree route......typical.......

I made a chicken curry for tea. It should have been sort of korma-oish, there was a red chilli in it. It is HOT.....So I have both Dobermans here looking at me expectantly..and I have eaten the curry except for the chilli....so I though.....yeah go on..... :girldevil:

So now I have two dobermans who have just devoured half a very hot red chilli......and the result?

xD  xD Two dogs who are licking their lips...not necessarily in a good way....... :sarcastichand:  :lol:

• Like 1

I have been putting it off....but there is no avoiding any longer I have to go scribe the stones onto my pavement sheets.......what idiot got me into this!!!

:shout: S A S Q U A T C H  :shout:.......................  :blackeye: