Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Is that the same Yacht Varnish as round the back of Goathland?  It looks a little clearer, which would be appropriate for the recent snow-melt.  Perhaps it is just thinner??

...   are you sure those boys are actually avoiding getting splashed from the puddles and not the real cause of them     .....    they do look a little over excitable   .......    :O

On Goathland I painted the base dirty then put the varnish on, here it was just a grey with a black edge and a hint of blue, I just hope my PIR stands up as snow!!!!

FYI The nice honey brown is purely from the varnish, I have the new quick dry stuff it looks white!!!! and does not dry fast in cooler conditions.

Edited by Jaz

Thanks Jaz

On Goathland I painted the base dirty then put the varnish on, here it was just a grey with a black edge and a hint of blue, I just hope my PIR stands up as snow!!!!

FYI The nice honey brown is purely from the varnish, I have the new quick dry stuff it looks white!!!! and does not dry fast in cooler conditions.

It is that usual difference that surrounding colours make to an item then.

• RMweb Gold

Hey Jaz, Thanks so much for popping into my thread. Merry Christmas to you two as well. I hope you have a great time, and a wonderful new year.

cheers

Jason

• Like 1

the honey brown varnish is really useful, i add real water with the black and blue so that it pools like the real thing, then varnish 

med_gallery_17883_3493_68358.jpg3799

the beauty of the varnish is that it is self levelling and fills any poor modelling where the dips are overlarge

med_gallery_17883_3493_234837.jpg3800

reflections as mentioned work really well in this varnish finish, and it is cheap and goes a long way

med_gallery_17883_3493_303788.jpg3801

if i end up with too much i just rub it in with my finger especially on the pavement where water is not supposed to stick

med_gallery_17883_3493_298183.jpg3802

i avoid 'clean ups' because they stress you and rarely work out. Better to make spills or mistake part of the scenery or cover them with minimum fuss, i.e. a car or a tree or a bush LOL

• Like 3

and finally we get onto the PIR / snow, while i have been working it i have discovered some interesting properties....but I will lead through the steps,

1. Where you have snow you don't need to detail the pavement

med_gallery_17883_3493_205936.jpg3803

as you see here the pavement has been detailed but is partially lost

med_gallery_17883_3493_177530.jpg3804

I initially used dust left over from the modelling process, I started

adding it in pinches, brushing it on with a brush, flicking it on with a brush, brushing it off a flat surface (book) onto the layout,

easy one was an improvement...

• Like 5

It also has the major advantage of ground the buildings as it hides the join, BONUS!!!!

med_gallery_17883_3493_58096.jpg3805

small lumps are not an issue, snowballs, falling off vehicles you name I can excuse them all day  :jester:

so this was the first lighter see how it works...in case its a disaster...and I need to run to the shops!!!!!!! :O

med_gallery_17883_3493_482519.jpg3806

a light flurry to start us off...the weather is still warm and it is turning into water asap.

• Like 5

Nearby the area is starting to get colder and the snow is sticking

on top of windows and lamps etc

med_gallery_17883_3493_57060.jpg38008

the odd drift in the wind direction occurs...

med_gallery_17883_3493_219999.jpg3809

cold spot are soon building up.  BBbbbrrrrrrr.......Wheres the tea house and a nice cuppa!!!!

• Like 2

I still have some tricks up my sleeve regards this......and some work to do asap for my

xmas eve party  :sungum:

christmas day tv show :angel:

boxing day feet up and gel out..... some stuff just won't get all the time it needs.. :butcher:

don't even start me on new years eve :O

• Like 1

How are you going to show the footprints in the snow?

all sorted the more pictures are ready to load, so far i have sorted the roads to a certain extent, got the water moulding stuff ready for icicles and water splashes, I have snow drifts and a snowman, although i think i can make a much better one, the first is the 6th formers quick attempt during a snow ball fight.....

I have to admit that I do like the smiley face

attachicon.gifmed_gallery_17883_3493_68358.jpg

LOL

Yeah I have to add the brick retainer around the drain...acg-mr did one recently.....so i am sure i can get one in....or cheat and cover it in SNOW!!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Apologies, Jaz.  Filled up your Notfications box.  You just post too many brilliant pics and info.

the back of the shops, the pub is an early Hornby Building and the windows might end up being too naff...but we'll see. I won't be replacing them tho.

med_gallery_17883_3493_113758.jpg3783

recolouring ...graffiting.....other wise mining but not actually replacing bits. When I do the final pictures the skyline will get a computerised touch up. The all paper was put up with copidex as a quick fix and never got replaced. On reflection it would have been cheaper and better had i just used wallpaper paste.

Might it be easier, then, to use a roll of lining paper? Just a thought.    :scratchhead: :derisive:

Hopefully, I'll get time to pop on here over the next few days but in the meantime, hope you both have a good Christmas.

A bit of a visual Christmas effort here: #166  GWR rides LSWR territory.

• Like 3

Apologies, Jaz.  Filled up your Notfications box.  You just post too many brilliant pics and info.

Might it be easier, then, to use a roll of lining paper? Just a thought.    :scratchhead: :derisive:

Hopefully, I'll get time to pop on here over the next few days but in the meantime, hope you both have a good Christmas.

A bit of a visual Christmas effort here: #166  GWR rides LSWR territory.

It was lining paper but using copied glue (don't ask how much i wasted) rather than wall paper paste LOL. And the glue seems to age.I can cheat and blur the pictures, just been too lazy.Thks for the heads up on the notification I'll go empty some.

attachicon.gifcHRISTMAS 2014 8a.jpg

Sorry you are a bit out of focus, but thank you for all your input this year and have a Happy Christmas and a Good New Year.

They look really nice, especially the soldiers, 

as a child I used to think those women in the long dresses could actually be on stools or little wheeled buggies and no one would ever know LOL.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

bored while waiting for a lift the 6th formers have built a quick rough and ready snowman and had a snowball fight.

The snow is not coming down thick and fast and the cars are struggling to clear the road.

med_gallery_17883_3493_481239.jpg3810

The lady at the greengrocers was quite confused by the purchase of just one carrot and 8 chestnuts.....you'd have thought she would have made the connection lol

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Evening Jaz, wow Gal, some cracking pics and wonderful storylines and explanations, thanks for making me turn the heating up.

Ray Norwood has done his Hounslow Sidings with a thick Frost, but I get a chill every time I look at it, BRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :scared:  :scared: :scared:  :scared:  

ENJOY :sungum:

• Like 2

When I sewer this   ............

I have to admit that I do like the smiley face

attachicon.gifmed_gallery_17883_3493_68358.jpg

.......................   I just laughed like a drain    .........    :nono:

Ok  ........   I go enjoy Christmas now    ......     Hat, coat and mince pie please   .....    :bye:

Edit:- need to learn how to spell/type   ..........    do RMWeb do a handwriten option - then I would know whether it was the brain or the fingers which was the problem

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

bored while waiting for a lift the 6th formers have built a quick rough and ready snowman and had a snowball fight.

The snow is not coming down thick and fast and the cars are struggling to clear the road.

med_gallery_17883_3493_481239.jpg3810

The lady at the greengrocers was quite confused by the purchase of just one carrot and 8 chestnuts.....you'd have thought she would have made the connection lol

I wondered why Ray added chestnuts to the Christmas shop, yesterday.   "Fry with the sprouts and shallots!" Really!!!  What a story!

And guess where my very first job was?  ...I still get confused...but at least it was all in lbs and ozs:mosking:

GREAT scene, by the way.  Terrific.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1