Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

• RMweb Premium

Very "Downs-esk" station Jaz!

1960s would have seen Gresley and Thompson type steam locomotives alongside first generation DMUs and type 1&2 diesels. (Small yellow panels),

Maroon Gresley coaching stock and later the corporate blue but not until 1967 onwards!

I hope you had a great Christmas.

Oh and please give yourself 5 stars for the snow scenes :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Edit: to add it's nice to see you guys getting into the GNR scene BTW. We'll have you scratch building 6 wheeled Howlden stock by the end of the year :O

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Ah Jaz, but if you're going to go GNR, then you should backdate :) Only kidding. Louth station is, or rather was, lovely. There's only a little bit left of it now that's been turned into someone's house, but at least there's something there. Louth itself is  beautiful town, and well worth making a detour to if you're going past. I always try to go there when I'm in Lincolnshire. Oh, and pop into The Cheese Shop and tell them I sent you, they're really friendly in there.

One quick question Jaz, your Goblin green paint. I'm having a big problem getting any kind of railway colours over here in Canada, and I'm looking for colours suitable for the GNR. I can get the Citadel stuff on mail order and I saw somewhere else that they do a green that's close to the LNER green (I realise there are two, but I'm thousands of miles away from anyone who'll be able to point out the colour's all wrong). Is that colour close at all to something you'd find on an LNER loco?

cheers

Jason

Very "Downs-esk" station Jaz!

1960s would have seen Gresley and Thompson type steam locomotives alongside first generation DMUs and type 1&2 diesels. (Small yellow panels),

Maroon Gresley coaching stock and later the corporate blue but not until 1967 onwards!

I hope you had a great Christmas.

Oh and please give yourself 5 stars for the snow scenes :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Edit: to add it's nice to see you guys getting into the GNR scene BTW. We'll have you scratch building 6 wheeled Howlden stock by the end of the year :O

I'll have to check what we have. but Kal likes the Diesels and DMUS, and has a fascination for A4s, so I suspect we have some of the required stock. 

My New Years resolution will need to be ....to finish one of the buildings I have started, the police house is pretty much the closest one, and I have almost all the bits. 

And I need to rework Ye Olde Whyte Horse pub, especially as when I met Runs as Required last year- he gave me an excellent ides to solve my roofing issue. In fact he had sorted the original elevations from, and to trial a couple of ideas himself had made a mock up.

And I do like the rolling stock....but I am trying to be good and complete work I have started or already bought. Otherwise I will ned to start up my own stall....!!!!!!

Plus Kal has been asking me to sort out Goathland. So I think, for the minute, trying to sort the areas I have so we can run the camera along it.

Ah Jaz, but if you're going to go GNR, then you should backdate :) Only kidding. Louth station is, or rather was, lovely. There's only a little bit left of it now that's been turned into someone's house, but at least there's something there. Louth itself is  beautiful town, and well worth making a detour to if you're going past. I always try to go there when I'm in Lincolnshire. Oh, and pop into The Cheese Shop and tell them I sent you, they're really friendly in there.

One quick question Jaz, your Goblin green paint. I'm having a big problem getting any kind of railway colours over here in Canada, and I'm looking for colours suitable for the GNR. I can get the Citadel stuff on mail order and I saw somewhere else that they do a green that's close to the LNER green (I realise there are two, but I'm thousands of miles away from anyone who'll be able to point out the colour's all wrong). Is that colour close at all to something you'd find on an LNER loco?

cheers

Jason

I'll go get the colours, and show you what they look like, I might have a rail match LNER green......let me go see.....

Ah, I can't do railmatch (or Phoenix) - I can't get them shipped abroad.

no you misunderstand me, I'm trying to see what i have in 'real' colours that i can say looks reasonable for citadel.

e.g. I have a BR Loco green in railmatch......

ummm what does a LNER green look like? I looked on pictures...but I can't see that the BR loco green is too much darker ;(

LNER looks more yellow?

• RMweb Gold

no you misunderstand me, I'm trying to see what i have in 'real' colours that i can say looks reasonable for citadel.

e.g. I have a BR Loco green in railmatch......

ummm what does a LNER green look like? I looked on pictures...but I can't see that the BR loco green is too much darker ;(

LNER looks more yellow?

Ah, I'm with you, it was getting very late...

cheers

Jason

Phoenix Paint, International Shipping

Scroll down the page.

Feb 27, 2013  
International Shipping

Owing to some recent problems with the shipping of international orders, we are for the time being suspending all overseas shipments. 

We are investigating alternative shipping methods, which, unfortunately, will almost certainly be more expensive. 

The up side, however, will be that we should be able to ship all of the product range including solvents and thinners.

We would like to appologise for any inconvinience this will almost certainly cause. 

As soon as we have any firm information it will be posted here.

• RMweb Gold

Hi David, thanks for that. I had some email correspondence with them just before Christmas and the said that nothing had changed. My choice was to get it delivered to somewhere in the UK and smuggle them through...

On the up side, I can get Humbrol colours from Ontario, so could get the light green, the darker Holly green I'd have to find elsewhere. I had a word with Steve, the store owner over there, and apparently he can't import the Phoenix paints over here either. I've heard that the Humbrol line's not great, has anyone else found this, or is it ok? Sorry Jaz for going off topic!

• RMweb Premium

@ Jason

This is a very frustrating situation and I have not found a dealer in the UK who will ship paint via UPS, FedEx or DHL.

A few weeks back I decided to touch up some of my apple green fleet and further frustration set in when I found my old Humbrol  Doncaster green had set hard.(well it was nearly 30 years old)

I resorted to my trusty crafters acrylics and managed to mix up Doncaster green from FolkArt grass green and Thicket! I do still have a jar of Railmatch Darlington apple green Which to my eye doesn't look right but then again I've never seen the real thing!! 

Incidentally I find Hornbys apple green somewhere in between the two and am just waiting to see if they produce a Darlington built loco in that lighter shade?

Also last time I visited my local hobby store I purchased a jar of Tamia green which looked the correct shade for LNER station green only to find the paint in the jar wasn't nowhere near the colour on the lid, be warned!!!

Regards Shaun    

• Like 1

Hi David, thanks for that. I had some email correspondence with them just before Christmas and the said that nothing had changed. My choice was to get it delivered to somewhere in the UK and smuggle them through...

On the up side, I can get Humbrol colours from Ontario, so could get the light green, the darker Holly green I'd have to find elsewhere. I had a word with Steve, the store owner over there, and apparently he can't import the Phoenix paints over here either. I've heard that the Humbrol line's not great, has anyone else found this, or is it ok? Sorry Jaz for going off topic!

Humbrol has a habit of being a bit shiney for my taste, but then i paint figures with it :angel:

Edited by Jaz

@ Jason

This is a very frustrating situation and I have not found a dealer in the UK who will ship paint via UPS, FedEx or DHL.

A few weeks back I decided to touch up some of my apple green fleet and further frustration set in when I found my old Humbrol  Doncaster green had set hard.(well it was nearly 30 years old)

I resorted to my trusty crafters acrylics and managed to mix up Doncaster green from FolkArt grass green and Thicket! I do still have a jar of Railmatch Darlington apple green Which to my eye doesn't look right but then again I've never seen the real thing!! 

Incidentally I find Hornbys apple green somewhere in between the two and am just waiting to see if they produce a Darlington built loco in that lighter shade?

Also last time I visited my local hobby store I purchased a jar of Tamia green which looked the correct shade for LNER station green only to find the paint in the jar wasn't nowhere near the colour on the lid, be warned!!!

Regards Shaun    

I had this problem with Railmatch, I half painted then bought more....and it was a completely different shade!!!!!

And even here in the UK sourcing a particular silver that Newbryford uses is a pain in the bum.

• RMweb Premium

I find Humbrol to be better than Phoenix or Railmatch, although it does need a proper good stirring and I only use enamels.

For weathering, where would we be without Humbrol's Matt black, leather and metalcote?

However, I can say...I like Citadel (although their latest lids are a pain cos shutting the front of the lid is to good enough you have to shut the back as well!!!!) But I like them they are separated into obvious transparent and opaque finishes and have some great 'technical' and glazes and stuff. And as I like to put shadows on people they really work.

I find Humbrol to be better than Phoenix or Railmatch, although it does need a proper good stirring and I only use enamels.

For weathering, where would we be without Humbrol's Matt black, leather and metalcote?

I like 11 for silver, as you say mixing is an issue

The 33 for Black needs to be mixed well, but if painting figures don't mix properly and get some nice deep shades

And i like the leather 62 for skin colour for  shades, BUT I heard they were stopping that colour so bought SIX just in case.

I'm not certain if I have  metalcote.

Their white is an excellent one for lightening other Humbrol colours.

If an individual posted it to the USA would it get stopped? I would be willing to try to post something to Sasquatch (I owe him) and could see what I could fit in. Do they Xray? 

I don't want to end up in gaol tho.......;p