R3150 DB Schenker Co-Co Diesel Electric Class 60

martin_l_jones

Just had a notification from Hornby to say the product has come into stock.

I like the look of this and think the livery suits the Class 60 really well..

Cheque book at the ready...

Only if they have got the size of the logos correct now! Look at a photo of the real thing http://www.flickr.com/photos/37260/6116525505/

and Hornby's mock up http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ehattons.com/images/products/R3150_45760_Qty1_cat.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ehattons.com/51294/Hornby_R3150_Class_60_diesel_Super_60_60007_DB_Schenker_Switch_on_to_safety_branding_/StockDetail.aspx&h=284&w=710&sz=49&tbnid=ofs1yMnbjzLT2M:&tbnh=49&tbnw=122&prev=/search%3Fq%3DHornby%2B60007%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=Hornby+60007&usg=__YGAt2qTsE2piwky2cjqz29bih1E=&docid=GVCkhCv0-cpu6M&sa=X&ei=dje7Uc-iFaiZ0QXBoIDQCw&ved=0CFcQ9QEwBA&dur=327

and they are VERY different. Need a phot of the real model please chaps and quickly! Why oh why didn't we get a bog standard DB one that could be transformed into anything relatively simply....instead yet again Hornby have chased the oddity market and I 'might' buy 1, had they done a normal one they might have 3 or 4 on the order now list!!

Any other thoughts? Still the best modern RTR model (crappy nem pockets don't bother me as we run screw links) on the market

• RMweb Premium

Why have they missed the white detailing on the bogies, it really looks very nice. Always had a soft spot for the CL 60, and glad DB are giving them a new lease of life. Incidentally how are they upgraded from the original.

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium

It only carried the livery shown in your link for the naming. It was quickly changed to the one that Hornby are doing http://www.flickr.com/photos/63809291@N08/8422020786/

Cheers,

Mick

EDIT - Brian beat me to it!

Ha ha, beat you by 3 minutes, I win  :blum:

I read somewhere that it did one Toton-Whitemoor trip in the branding it carried for the naming.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks chaps....! I hadn't realised that there had been two! Order now placed!!

I read somewhere that it did one Toton-Whitemoor trip in the branding it carried for the naming.

Cheers,

Mick

Mick....see you in Perth and the Tug will be present too with a following wind! Plenty new toys to show you. We are out for a few beers with Ben and Chris Nevard on Friday if you fancied it?

Hornby appear to have ditched the dreaded little sprung copper wipers for lights on this latest 60? Has there been a release before now which had this change? Normal set of wires and multi-pin plug a la Bachmann 66 is now the order of the day. Hallelujah! One of the two gripes is dead.... The NEM pocket ( and its recalcitrant nature) doesn't affect as us we fit hooks and screw links and haul trains the proper way with our Tugs. Colour of body and finish is top notch again. Looks a winner and judging by the 'sell out' appears that another run of a standard DB red/pink one as an extra looks like it might be worth a shout Mr Kohler!?

Hornby appear to have ditched the dreaded little sprung copper wipers for lights on this latest 60? Has there been a release before now which had this change? Normal set of wires and multi-pin plug a la Bachmann 66 is now the order of the day. Hallelujah! One of the two gripes is dead.... The NEM pocket ( and its recalcitrant nature) doesn't affect as us we fit hooks and screw links and haul trains the proper way with our Tugs. Colour of body and finish is top notch again. Looks a winner and judging by the 'sell out' appears that another run of a standard DB red/pink one as an extra looks like it might be worth a shout Mr Kohler!?

post-657-0-86495700-1371480107_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-82167200-1371480153_thumb.jpg

I can see this locomotive is named Spirit of Tom Kendall.

Do Hornby include any metal nameplayes or are they just printed on?

Sometimes they have plastic nameplates as separate parts.

Thanks

Igor

Can anyone tell me what the main differences between the as built CL 60 and the DB refurbished locos are. Just curious

AFAIK, apart from a serious major overhaul, they are refurbishing, replacing and modifying many components.

The various modifications are intended to improve reliability and replace the time expired or unreliable bits.

I also read somewhere that there's some work being done to address some corrosion issues, but I haven't heard any more about that?

I think there was an article on the "Super 60" programme in one of the railway mags?

• RMweb Premium

I think there was an article on the "Super 60" programme in one of the railway mags?

"Super 60" is a bit misleading as they aren't any more powerful than when originally built. As Ron says, it's a big overhaul and reliability job.

Cheers,

Mick

Questions questions.... The paint finish and colour are excellent. Not sure if moulding  is red plastic underneath (it may be?) but you cannot tell from the viewing side and the roof, nose etc etc look very very good? The new light wires inside are a bit crappy for £120 but the problem of the old connectors that were very erratic has gone. That said Heljan (and others) plugs on the circuit board solution would have been far better. Compared to a KATO HO loco which would cost same/less we are still a way off on quality IMHO...but hey?! On the upside Rail Exclusives, and the legend that is Phil Sutton, have a few nameplates available (as Hornby don't supply them) for 'Spirit of Tom Kendell' which you might be able to have if you ask nicely and send Phil an SAE. Another upside is that there is now a HUGE psace for speaker fitment in the non donut end.... OH GOOD!!  Si

• RMweb Premium

Hi

For those interested, this link to Martins light and sound conversion to the new 60, may be of help and points out some issues found with his model.

Hornby still insisting on common neg for the electrics, some things never improve. :(

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-60sound2/index.htm

And yet they use common positive for the factory sound fitted locos...... :banghead:

Wty do they not just use one common positive board with a 21 pin blanking plug, as Bachmann have been doing for awhile now?

So much for "Design Clever".

Cheers,

Mick

I took the plunge, very nice looking loco but not happy with some marks on one side of the body which goes across the logo.

Mine actually didn't look like it had been lacquered, but I'm sure it must have been...

Disappointingly it's back in the box and going back.

I took the plunge, very nice looking loco but not happy with some marks on one side of the body which goes across the logo.

Mine actually didn't look like it had been lacquered, but I'm sure it must have been...

Disappointingly it's back in the box and going back.

Shame. Mine is fine, BUT yet again Hornby quality control looks a bit iffy and when you are talking £120 ish that isn't good enough!

I love the Class 60 but that blob of black glue/compound looks very un-professional. It looks like there was a hurried design change. IMHO for 120 quid I do expect a model that doesn't look like a lighting kit was added in 2 mins and then have ''tar'' splattered over it.

Why couldn't they have clips to secure the wires instead. From the link Kal posted I can see that some of that black glue has interfered with the lights and also almost stuck the shell to the chassis.

There has been a slight change in the model with respect to it's tooling to make space for a speaker. If they went through the trouble to do that why do something like that to the lighting??

(I know some may say ''why worry about something rarely seen'') but seriously using cheap methods on a high range model that once set a standard for Hornby just doesn't go along. Hornby were known to mix stuff up like a Class 90 and a DVT from two different ranges. Now they are trying to mix cheap and good on one model???

If they intend on using that then atleast make sure it is applied properly and that it doesn't affect the lighting or end up sticking what it's not supposed to.

post-15929-0-41829300-1372142214_thumb.png

I love the Class 60 but that blob of black glue/compound looks very un-professional. It looks like there was a hurried design change. IMHO for 120 quid I do expect a model that doesn't look like a lighting kit was added in 2 mins and then have ''tar'' splattered over it.

An example of 'Design Clever'........................

Archived