Class 66 photos

Hopefully it is a new coal flow to Fiddlers Ferry and, dare I say it on Class 66 photos thread, that it will be booked for one of Freightliner's class 70's!  I don't half miss the Class 70's with their noise and clag in the north west.  The Ellesmere Port Manisty Wharf to Fiddlers has now ceased with the closure of Manisty Wharf.  Liverpool Bulk Terminal seem to be concentrating on the Biomass market with no coal trains from here to Fiddlers Ferry for a couple of months now.  Also heard a rumor that a new Biomass flow will be starting from Liverpool to Drax so it makes sense to have a new flow of coal from a different location.  Fiddlers Ferry are only running one unit out of four at the moment but hopefully as we head into winter, Fiddlers Ferry will need to start bringing in more coal and a new flow will commence. . . . . . hopefully!

• RMweb Premium

Yes hopefully there will be more coal trains running into Fiddlers Ferry soon.

I have noticed that the one coal train you mention has been running with the Freightliner 66s and not the 70s. I think that the 70s are needed on the intermodal trains more at the moment especially with several 66s been dispatched to Brush Traction at Loughborough and Midland Road for heavy exams, overhauls, cab repaints and the fitting of new LED lighting. Whereas the 70s have already had modifications done so that they don't catch fire and fail regularly and the problems seem to be near enough ironed out now.

• RMweb Gold

Also heard a rumor that a new Biomass flow will be starting from Liverpool to Drax

It's more than a rumour now. GBRf have the contract with the first trains scheduled to start this October routed across the Pennines via the Calder Valley. The paths have been in the schedule for sometime and are available on Realtime Trains.

Great photo Russ. I might be wrong but it looks like the return to Leeds will be with a rake of wagons. If you look on realtime trains for Arpley junction it looks like one train from fiddlers to hunterston Had a loco swap and the other hunterston train the loco has gone back to crewe light engine. The fiddlers to Leeds return is showing a trailing load, not a light engine so it looks like its getting the empties that would have been going to hunterston. If all that makes sense??

• RMweb Gold

Great photo Russ. I might be wrong but it looks like the return to Leeds will be with a rake of wagons. If you look on realtime trains for Arpley junction it looks like one train from fiddlers to hunterston Had a loco swap and the other hunterston train the loco has gone back to crewe light engine. The fiddlers to Leeds return is showing a trailing load, not a light engine so it looks like its getting the empties that would have been going to hunterston. If all that makes sense??

Interesting.  The headcode for the return working is still showing as 0Z47 and I'd probably have expected it to change in those circumstances, or a replacement VSTP path to have been substituted in the schedule.  I'll try and get to see it this afternoon although I'm supposed to be elsewhere at the time so I may have to miss it.

The rumour of the coal flow to FFPS from across the Pennines is now suggesting that the workings may be overnight, unfortunately.

• RMweb Gold

66545 was on todays 0Z46, 08.54 Leeds Balm Road to Fiddlers Ferry, approaching Brighouse.  It almost caught me out as by this point it was running 7 minutes early.

• Like 4

Working in Clitheroe, Lancashire today and managed to catch the Mossend to Clitheroe Castle Cement with 66102 in charge of the train.  

Here's the train heading towards Horrocksford Junction where the train comes to a stop and is reversed over the crossover, across the main road and into Castle Cement.

post-25512-0-68675400-1440615238_thumb.jpg

Here's the train reversing down the siding and disappearing through the foliage down the sidings towards the Caslte Cement facility.

post-25512-0-16928300-1440615267_thumb.jpg

Working in Clitheroe again tomorrow so I might try to catch the train from Avonmouth if it runs.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Another day and another different Freightliner 66 on todays 0Z46, 08.54 Leeds Balm Road to Fiddlers Ferry, training trip.  I'm hoping that Freightliner see fit to use a 'spare' class 70 on one of these trips before they finish.

Rather appropriately, 66601 'The Hope Valley' approaches Thornhill LNW Junction at Ravensthorpe.

The line from Leeds comes in from the right.

The latest rumour on one of the gen sites is that the coal flow, if/when it starts, is to move stored coal from Ferrybridge C Power Station which is to close soon.

• Like 3

A nice selection of liveries from Eastleigh yesterday.

Freightliner 66503 "The Railway Magazine":

post-20657-0-08315000-1440694456_thumb.jpg

DBS Ex-EWS 66116:

post-20657-0-42199500-1440694513_thumb.jpg

GBRF 66758:

post-20657-0-99469400-1440694675_thumb.jpg

GBRF 66750:

post-20657-0-26230500-1440694754_thumb.jpg

Freightliner 66501 "Japan 2001", taken at Southampton Ariport Parkway:

post-20657-0-49638700-1440694827_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Matt

Edited by TheSoutherner

• RMweb Premium

I know that it doesn't really matter because the FOCs still earn money regardless of the external condition of there Class 66 locos but some of them look quite scruffy recently.

I have noticed on pictures of the Freightliner 66s that they are missing the Freightliner logos at the cab sides but yet they have the new zero injuries stickers applied. Not sure why new stickers have been added but yet there company logos are missing. Surely they have there priorities wrong there?

There are also still a lot of Freightliner 66s running around with rust on the cab ends. I know that quite a few have had there cab ends repainted but I haven't heard or seen any pictures of ones that have been repainted in the last couple of months so there might have been a pause in that project?

As much as what I like Freightliner and always have surely it's not good advertising for a company that doesn't have there logos on some of there 66s and they have rusty cabs and look scruffy externally. I have to admire GBRF they don't quibble about repainting there locos. After all 66701-66707 and 66709-66717 have all been repainted as well as 66718-66722, 66751 etc and any others I have missed. There all within the last two years or so.

I just have to wonder why Freightliner don't repaint the 66s that look the most scruffiest like 66508 in one of the above pictures and just leave the ones that look alright and have logos intact etc. This would give the worst looking 66s a new lease of life and it would just improve there image.

What's everyone else's views on this?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With regard to the comments in the post above, DBS 66058 looks almost ex-works as it heads a Southampton Western Docks - Eastleigh trip working just after midday today.

It was released from Toton on 21st August so the paint probably still smells fresh.

Incidentally it's had a fairly active week having visited Doncaster, Knottingley, Tunstead, Drax, Didcot, Bescot, Warrington Arpley & Eastleigh.

• RMweb Gold

Heading 6E45, 15.22 Pendleton to Scunthorpe empty bogie hoppers, 66060 brushes past the buddleia as it approaches Brighouse on 28th August 2015.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic photo!

It's good to see DB repainting there 66s too.

It's just a shame that apart from 414, 416, 418, 504 and 528 that Freightliner haven't fully repainted anymore of there 66s recently. After all a lot of them are looking a bit tired and worse for wear. I was looking at photos of Freightliner 66s on Flickr last night and 503, 508, 513, 515 all look like they could do with a repaint. I stopped at 66527 but I also saw a photo of 567 a few days ago and that certainly needs at least it's cab ends repainting. 66618 is also quite bad.

I know it's probably a long shot but does anyone know how much Eastleigh Arlington charge per Class 66 for a full repaint?

Thank you in advance.

• RMweb Premium

As I was coming back from Eastleigh Lidl this afternoon these two arrived at Platform 2. I grabbed a quick shot from the car park and headed for Platform 1 through the side gate, by which time they had started heading for the East Yard. Ex-DRS 66413 with Freightliner sticker and FL 66599.

post-4634-0-51895800-1440789356_thumb.jpg

post-4634-0-84812800-1440789399_thumb.jpg

Earlier, 66085 shunting containers

post-4634-0-62045000-1440789934_thumb.jpg

and GBRf 66750 in the Works

post-4634-0-00922400-1440790373_thumb.jpg

Pete

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

With regard to the comments in the post above, DBS 66058 looks almost ex-works as it heads a Southampton Western Docks - Eastleigh trip working just after midday today.

It seems to be attracting the attention of a photographer - wonder if he's a RMwebber?

It was also named Derek Clark

• RMweb Gold

Had to shunt 66058 this morning in Didcot and yes it does still stink of paint! Nice to see it has a nameplate in the correct place.

You have to say that's one very smart looking locomotive.

Yesterday afternoon grey liveried Gbrf 66749 with 6F39/13:53 North Blyth - Drax at the splendidly named 'Winning' (Blyth & Tyne)

post-7898-0-67125800-1440863685_thumb.jpg

10.00am this morning and Gbrf 66736 'Wolverhampton Wanderers' is running around 6S45/9:25 North Blyth - Fort William Alcan

post-7898-0-24942200-1440863800_thumb.jpg

Mal

• Like 10