Warley National 2013

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Mixed feelings about Warley this year.  Some of the layouts and the modelling were outstanding (Porthcullin, Melton Mowbray, Fencehouses, The Gresley Beat, Gindsweid, Albion Yard, both Corris (Corrii? Corrids? Corridea?)  Braysdown & Writhlington and  Burnham on Sea especially spring to mind) and were worth seeing but overall I think this was the least enjoyable Warley show I've been to. [ Rant mode] I'm sorry say that my negativity is largely down to the behaviour of other visitors.  I hate to raise the spectre of well rehearsed hobby horses, but I think if another bl**dy rucksck had hit me around the head or a camera wielding arm struck out in front of me then I might not have been held responsible for my actions!!  Why can't people show some consideration for others?  Generally today people seemed rude, selfish and intent on pushing to get to the front.  One incident summed it up neatly for me - towards the end of the day a chap dropped one of his crutches, three of us moved quickly towards him to pick up the crutch,  Well that's not true, 2 of us did the third quickened up so he could get past asap, stepping over the crutch as he went by.  And then there's the question of others personal hygiene...

Sad to say but if this had been my first visit (not my 15th!) then I'm not sure I would willing go back.  Whether I do will depend on the layouts appearing next year, but they're going to have to be good! [/Rant mode]

Ralph

Lambton58

That is very clever.....

...... and after watching the anvil scene and model railway I half expected the dog to cock it's leg.

I particularly liked the door opening on the rail car and the passenger apparently getting on! If you look very carefully in the video you will notice tha the passenger disappears and reappears from the shelter (station seat on a turntable), then there is the silouhette of the passenger sitting down or getting up in the railcar..

Not unexpected to me. Since the departure of George as MD, Dapol has become a bit reclusive. Maybe the impact of the recesssion finally hit but certainly this year theres been nothing to entice or inspire me to purchase.

Maybe George didnt always deliver, but he kept my attention :)

Well another Warley Show done and survived. As has been mentioned above the normal idiots with rucksacks and bad whiffs have been tolerated and hard earned cash has been spent on items that could not be resisted. OMG we are a strange lot ,,,,,,,,

Centre piece the 'Unknown Warrior' wow who could not fail to be moved by this amazing project....... it certainly kicked my arse to be sure, as I only live 7 miles away from were this is being assembled and I haven't done anything towards it. Well that's going to change as I signed up today

Took loads of photos but for some reason the Forum isn't letting me link to them right now :-(

Enjoyed myself but spent far too much money!

In particular I think I may have been "taken advantage of" by the trader selling drill bit sets advertised on large posters/banners as "Lifetime Guarantee - never buy another drill bit again". On speaking to him he informed me that if I broke one all I had to do was to return it to them and they would replace it for free. As I'm somewhat hamfisted when it comes to drills, I bought a set, and he slipped a copy of the guarantee inside the case.

Just now I've looked at the guarantee and found it differs from what I was told:

- The guarantee is limited to ten years.

- In order to claim against the guarantee, it is necessary to return the entire set (incurring higher postage costs).

- There is also a £5 admin charge for any claims to cover their return postage of the set etc.

All of which seems less than what was advertised.

Just flagging this up to warn others....

I will take this up with them by email tomorrow, however I was wondering if it would be possible for someone to take a surreptitious photo of the advertising on the stand for me - just in case?

Many thanks

Richard

Really enjoyable day. Some excellent layouts. Someone commented about pushing about. I too witnessed ignorance. No need and there are kids in attendance. My only complaint were the arses!

I managed to spend, some bargains on the Bachmann stall and some bits from the Parkside Dundas stall. Disappointed nothing new from Hornby or Bachmann for the event.

• RMweb Premium

Enjoyed my. annual trek to Warley, met a few friends and enjoyed the whole show. German and Dutch layouts were huge and very good. Made a few purchases and came away happy big thanks to all those at Warley MRC. who put on the show and to all the trade, society support and of course the exhibitors who work so hard to make the show so good.

Did you buy the Star then?

What's with the disagree?

I don't know why someone would mark this as disagreeing. I guess it was a mistake but don't take it to heart, there are more important things in life about which to get stressed - I know, my heart has the scars!

Archived